Driver fitting tomorrow...any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miles of Golf is where I did my Trackman Driver fitting. Seems to me that they have addressed the range ball issue. I'm a little fuzzy, but I believe they use a certain ball that is different from their normal range ball. Yes, put yourself in the fitter's hands. They will work through the heads and shafts to find a fit for you. You will see clear differences in the combinations and reach a conclusion. Titleist 910D3 expensive? Not really. Do it right.

Plenty of great driver heads out there. I'm just partial to the D3 because the head is 445 CC instead of 460. Titleist makes great stuff as well as Taylormade. The Rocketballz driver is also fun to hit.

Last edited:
S

SteveT

Read Tom Wishon's materials and watch his materials. Tom believes 3.5* torque is the minimum torque. The D3 has nothing to do with vertical gear effect. In fact, Wishon's drivers have NO roll to the driver.

I suggest you spend more time with a club fitter instead of coming up with your own theories by deductive reasoning.

Wishon is not recommending the Titleist 910 D3... YOU are, and all I was asking of you was why you thought it was a "great" club. So far you offer nothing substantive.

As for the D3 having nothing to do with vertical gear effect, you are wrong because a deep-faced driver has more vertical clubface dimension to allow for even more vertical gear effect if impact is too high in the face. Simple physics and simple reasoning.

I know of Wishon's flat-faced driver designs... and that minimizes vertical and horizontal gear effect. If the driver CofG is closer to the face then gear effect is minimized too. Pro golfers prefer drivers with the CofG closer to the face and that's what many OEM tour models provide. Tour players don't depend on gear effect for ball control compensation because their impact is centered.

BTW... you need not repeat your posting three times to catch my attention... I'm not schizoid. Also in another posting you call hitting a certain driver as "fun to hit", which doesn't sound technically objective.... subjective, yes .... objective, no. Oh well....

SteveT, why so antagonistic? He say's the D3 is a great driver, then so be it, it's his opion and he has the right to it, without writing an encyclopedia as to why he likes it.

I'm also in the market for new clubs, been playing my mizzy's mp 52's since 2008, so time to upgrade. I've hit a bunch of irons and drivers, so far the combo that has put up the best numbers for me on trackman have been the Ping I20's and the Titlest D3. I need to hit the Ping I20 Driver a little bit more, love the way it looks, but I haven't found the right shaft.

Personally ,I hate all the white drivers, and the new Adams is ugly too, I think it's a silver/purple color.

I also had very good numbers with the new Wilson irons as well.

Tball88 -

Thanks. Unfortunately, with guys like SteveT and Jeffy you have to justify your own existence with them for every post. Personal opinion is meaningless unless it's their own opinion. Of course, he violates his own rules by giving me his personal opinion about my personal opinion. You can't win with guys like that. Typically it's someone who's over 50 (or close to it), frustrated with life in general because their science can't create the world they think exists and can't play golf to save their life but they have all of the answers for everyone else.

I don't know about Steve, but I try to hit the face in the center, not high up on the driver and don't buy a driver based upon vertical gear effect. So many different factors.

Erik_K

New
Exactly. It's all about what "feels" right too. Lots of factors in the fitting: the look at address, the shaft length, the sound at impact, and, of course, the data associated with the swing. In the end, maybe the only thing that matters is how well you strike it. Still some people may not like how some of these oversized heads look at address and may opt for a "smaller" head. There's certainly an emotional, or psychological, effect.

Tball88 -

Thanks. Unfortunately, with guys like SteveT and Jeffy you have to justify your own existence with them for every post. Personal opinion is meaningless unless it's their own opinion. Of course, he violates his own rules by giving me his personal opinion about my personal opinion. You can't win with guys like that. Typically it's someone who's over 50 (or close to it), frustrated with life in general because their science can't create the world they think exists and can't play golf to save their life but they have all of the answers for everyone else.

I don't know about Steve, but I try to hit the face in the center, not high up on the driver and don't buy a driver based upon vertical gear effect. So many different factors.

So they fit me into the Titleist :)

The bad news is that I can't afford it, and I had the worst case of lefts. We were working hard trying to find something open enough with low enough loft and a stiff enough shaft to keep me from going left so much. He had an 8.5 set as low and as open as he could get it, and put me in an 83g 45.5 inch shaft, all in an effort to keep the club from shutting down so fast. I don't know where the hooks came from, but it was ugly.

The good news is that I now know the kind of setup I need: something pretty stiff, stable, and open (way open). I've got a 7* Cobra head that I'm gonna use. I have a couple of high kick, xx-flex LD shafts at 49" that I was thinking about using, but I topped out at 119 mph. I don't know if I'm fast enough to make those work, especially if I trim 4" off the butt.

Looks like I have some thinking to do. Thanks for the advice fellas. If u have more, I'm more than willing to listen :)

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I love the adjustability of the new drivers, but nothing works better (or quicker) than holding the club out in front of you, opening the face slightly, regripping and then hitting the ball without grounding the club.

Just sayin...

Don't get me wrong, I love the adjustability of the new drivers, but nothing works better (or quicker) than holding the club out in front of you, opening the face slightly, regripping and then hitting the ball without grounding the club.

Just sayin...

Wisdom...:)

If I were able to get the 910, it would have been based on performance. There's this little voice in my head that keeps saying, "moving parts can break...". I didn't help my apprehension when two of the heads started to rattle after I hit em. At this point, only glued heads for me

If any of you guys have a chance to give the RocketBallz a test run, don't be shy. I'm swinging like a broken toilet door, and even I can rip it.

It's a little beauty...

119 is moving:cool:

What shaft did they fit you into/ which one did you like the most?

It was either the Diamana White 83 or the Ahina 82. Also hit the Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8. I didn't notice a huge difference. I got a tighter dispersion from the Diamana (whichever it was), but not by much. Either way, too rich for my blood :mad:

Last edited:
Yes, 119mph is scary quick.

What did they do? Tear the nearest telephone pole out the ground and attach a driver head on it.

Can they do that?? I'd pull that sucker up myself if it'd kill that hook. I think I understand why Hogan hated hooks. Going left got really old, really quick.

BTW, I know it's the Indian, not the arrow. But I'm not above asking for a little help from my equipment...

I believe not enough time in driver fittings is spent on length of the club. Do not be afraid to try 44.5 or 44 and see how your contact is.

Nobody mentioned this yet, so I wanted to chime in with .02 worth.

Take note of your measurements. People I fit on Trackman can pick up more yardage by optimizing path and angle of attack than they can with a new driver....and then when they do, the optimal driver fit changes! lol

https://docs.google.com/viewer?atti...70533df796b03c596f75&a=bi&pagenumber=1&w=2000
Here is the page showing the fitting averages for the Titleist. They didn't save the Ping G20, or the Adams Fast 12, which I hit the longest of the clubs I tested, but I couldn't keep it from going left. But after going through the fitting, nothing else really did much for that either...

During some of the hits with the 910, I started to aim left, and even tried to cut some to take some of the hook out. With my driver, I got really inside out, 8-10 degrees on some swings.

BTW, how do you post an image to the thread? I wanted to put it right in the post, but don't know how...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.