Extra Distance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only difference I can see between the two swings at impact are the trailing foot...which is much more closed than his normal address/impact position...

Maybe just address the ball more closed-footed?....:D

TBH, I don't think the extra distance comes from the running part as he is almost still when he hits the ball...
I think it is more about his weight at impact and the position of his right foot at the top and impact....

Brian Manzella

Administrator
???

TBH, I don't think the extra distance comes from the running part as he is almost still when he hits the ball...
I think it is more about his weight at impact and the position of his right foot at the top and impact....

Are you kidding??????

The extra speed comes from (at least):

• The radius shorting more.
• The left shoulder moving up & back faster.
• Kinetic Chain increased snap.

Sounds like it confilcts with a theory...;)

Brian Manzella

Administrator
One more.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XUXNooDIWN8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XUXNooDIWN8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Are you kidding??????

The extra speed comes from (at least):

• The radius shorting more.
• The left shoulder moving up & back faster.
• Kinetic Chain increased snap.

Sounds like it confilcts with a theory...;)

I'm not arguing with any of the above (can you clarify #1 above), but I would like to see Padraig hit a few from a modified stance (closed) and see what distance he gets from that in comparison...perhaps I'll email him...:D

The scientists explain what makes the happy ball go so much further, he had increased shoulder turn on the backswing and faster clubhead speed, basically he snaps the **** out of the kinetic chain.

P.S. that second ball that Rory hit is still in the air

The scientists explain what makes the happy ball go so much further, he had increased shoulder turn on the backswing

Sorry I am not seeing that...think the scientists need to see an optician..:)

Stop the video at 4.13 (top of backswing)..

What I am seeing here is:

1) More right arm bend
2) Slightly flatter shoulder turn
3) Hips more closed
4) Right toe on line of left heel (relative to target line)..

Shoulder turn lookes exactly the same, as it would, the clubhead and shaft being in identical positions..

AT impact:

1) Hips more open than normal
2) More weight on left side/foot
3) Right heel waaaaay off the deck....

Last edited:
Speaking of Baseball...

Your absolutely correct Jim but, the extra linear momentum that you create by getting a running start won't do anything if you don't know how to transfer it up the chain.

Just my thought's.

Your absolutely correct Jim but, the extra linear momentum that you create by getting a running start won't do anything if you don't know how to transfer it up the chain.

Just my thought's.

You only need to be able to transfer a very small portion of the momentum to make a difference. Paddy (88 kg)was running up at 4mph to get extra 7mph speed to the 200g clubhead.

Sorry I am not seeing that...think the scientists need to see an optician..:)

Stop the video at 4.13 (top of backswing)..

What I am seeing here is:

1) More right arm bend
2) Slightly flatter shoulder turn
3) Hips more closed
4) Right toe on line of left heel (relative to target line)..

Shoulder turn lookes exactly the same, as it would, the clubhead and shaft being in identical positions..

AT impact:

1) Hips more open than normal
2) More weight on left side/foot
3) Right heel waaaaay off the deck....

His hips are in an almost identical position in both backswings, only slightly more closed in the happy swing, and the right foot is further behind in the happy swing because he had to drag it around to square up, the point is that his movement allowed him to turn further back because he did not have to turn around the fixed point of his right foot, and then because of his momentum he moves his left shoulder more down towards the ball, shortening his radius, and then snaps it faster than normal up and away from the ball. He literally ran up and jumped. He could not have gotten the same swing speed or power from simply closing his stance because it would not shorten his radius or speed up his shoulder turn, in essence all it would do is cause him to swing further right and and release the club a little earlier which might help him hit more up on the ball increasing distance but could potentially slow his kinetic chain down and cause accuracy issues especially because of the difficulty to control the face with that type of setup.

On a second note just as Brian teaches his students , Padraig's stock driver setup is somewhat closed to begin with. As we know from the d-plane you have to aim slightly right of target with a driver to account for the upswing, and to achieve the desired swingpath for a driver you set up with your left shoulder a little higher and your right foot slightly back from your left. "Shaquille O'neal came up to Paddy and said "hey lil man, get your right shoulder back," and gave him a little shove."

seems to me that if he is moving at 4 mph as me moves to the ball, then this will immiediatley increase clubhead speed by at least 4 mph

Status
Not open for further replies.