Extra Distance

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is retarded...this is like saying an outfielder in baseball can throw the ball just as far WITHOUT a few step head start

Jim,
I'm not saying the run up has NOTHING to add to the c/h speed. I'm saying it is not as great as some people think...

By explanation..

Twently years ago I was suffering with a bad back...it really pained me on the backswing (hip/back pressure)...
so I adopted a closed hip address position, with the right toe pulled back (from the target line) to level with the heel of my left foot...

I found I could really lay into the ball, with no fear of pulling left, which would happen with my normal stance..

Once I got used to this address position and started cointacting the sweet spot properly, I was absolutely bombing it......my average drive with a normal stance at the time (with proper contact) was between 240 and 255, but with the closed stance it jumped to 260- 280...and remember this was with a small wooden driver and two-piece ball...

So my labouring this point here is not just from being ornery, I have experienced this before....

Have any of you out there actually tried it?...until you have I would suspend judgement....:)

This is retarded...this is like saying an outfielder in baseball can throw the ball just as far WITHOUT a few step head start

Jim,
I think you'll find that the outfielder is also shortening the distance he has to throw the ball...that's why he is running..
Plus which he could probably throw it nearly as far by doing a pitcher's type of action, i.e. rocking back and then onto the forward foot...

and then because of his momentum he moves his left shoulder more down towards the ball, shortening his radius, He could not have gotten the same swing speed or power from simply closing his stance because it would not shorten his radius or speed up his shoulder turn, i

Don't know which video you are watching adam, but he has less tilt on his shoulders with the "happy" swing...so the left shoulder is not going "more down"...

Why don't the Long Drivers happy gilmore it?

1. Because they still have to hit the fairway

2. Center face contact is just as important to them, if not more so, as it is to conventional golfers. Off center contact means less ballspeed and less yardage.

Jim,
I think you'll find that the outfielder is also shortening the distance he has to throw the ball...that's why he is running..
Plus which he could probably throw it nearly as far by doing a pitcher's type of action, i.e. rocking back and then onto the forward foot...

You have obviously NEVER played baseball...

You have obviously NEVER played baseball...

Or cricket, or softball, football, or basketball (full court pass), or...any sport where you at some point want to see how far or hard you can throw something. Jim K. is correct.

The pitcher's mound give you something extra to fall off of and a pitching rubber to push off of to make up for the fact you aren't getting a running start to throw a pitch.

Last edited:

Jwat

New
Jim,

I guess all a 'CROW HOP' does is get you closer to your target? Doesn't make sense. He has more momentum going into the ball even if that isn't the correct scientific term. A hockey player isn't going to hit the puck with the same force standing as he would sliding into the shot.

Why don't the Long Drivers happy gilmore it?

Every high-jumper straddled the bar for nearly a century until Dick Fosbury jumped over the bar backwards and won a Gold Medal in 1968.
It wouldn't surprise me to one day see the "Happy" at a long drive competition.

. A hockey player isn't going to hit the puck with the same force standing as he would sliding into the shot.

Not relevant...as you said he is sliding as he hit the shot...Padraig wasn't....his swing center was stopped...

Or cricket, or softball, football, or basketball (full court pass), or...any sport where you at some point want to see how far or hard you can throw something. Jim K. is correct.

Sorry niblick, that is not quite the same.
When you simply throw something you don't have to worry about accuracy of contact as Padraig had to during the swings. he had to stop his swing center at a certain point, which you don't have to do when throwing.

The pitcher's mound give you something extra to fall off of and a pitching rubber to push off of to make up for the fact you aren't getting a running start to throw a pitch.

But has anyone done any research on how much ballspeed they lose by pitching WITHOUT the aids?.....that's the differential I'd be interested in.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Jim,

This is wrong, sorry.

Shotputters run up yes?

I would if I was really mad (never happens honestly) and wanted to hurl, huck, wing a club.

Baseball...outfield gun to home plate...no doubt.

Hockey...slapshot comp. at Allstar Skills Comp...no doubt.

Frisbee throw for dist.

Etc. etc...!

Well instead of all the banter, why doesn't someone just try it (them)...do a "happy" and then do a static very closed stance (shoulders as normal, but right foot pulled right back so toe is level with left heel) and report the difference...

I would if I could, but the weather here is abysmal and has been for the last two months. If it's not raining it is blowing a gale...:(

Status
Not open for further replies.