Extra Distance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim,
Please note: "he could probably throw it nearly as far"

"Nearly" doesn't do the difference justice. Draw a line on the ground. Throw one ball standing still (hell, take a step back and then forward if you want) and another with a run up to the line. You'll throw it so much farther with the second one it'll be a joke.

The assistance the "Happy" run up gives to the kinetic chain is what we're seeing. There's no "secret" we're all missing here.

Challenge completed on the range, results:

Closed stance solid hit....305 yds

Happy solid hit...i'll post when it lands on the other side of the highway lol

(p.s. average regular driving distance around 305)

Thanks adam..:)

BTW, What is your normal shot-shape and how many did you hit of each?.....I found all those years ago that my shot shape changed from a slight pull/soft fade to a soft draw..

Any more?...

Last edited:
Apologies to eveyone who thinks I am labouring this point, to what may seem obvious to you....
It may be relevant to explain that I am a discector, I have a tendency to pull things apart, TV's, Stereos, computers, cars, etc, etc...

With Padraig I am basically seeing differences in his final address position (the "at the top" position) between his happy swing and normal swing.

All I am trying to establish is how much that factors in to his additional distance and how much is due to the "run up"....

Apologies to eveyone who thinks I am labouring this point, to what may seem obvious to you....
It may be relevant to explain that I am a discector, I have a tendency to pull things apart, TV's, Stereos, computers, cars, etc, etc...

With Padraig I am basically seeing differences in his final address position (the "at the top" position) between his happy swing and normal swing.

All I am trying to establish is how much that factors in to his additional distance and how much is due to the "run up"....

One thing I noticed on the video was the "divot" markings Paddy made on the ground where he planted his lead foot after the "run-up". He doesn't do that when just standing there without the run-up. There's some snappin goin on there, BECAUSE of the "run-up".

I also tested it and doing the happy allowed me to feel the transition better, especially the stretch in my left side, left arm P.A.#4. All I needed was to get the feel for it. I also hit one that hasn't landed yet, maybe it crossed Adams ball in it's orbit around earth:)

Thanks guys, grateful for your input...

Guess I'll have to put my extra distance all those years ago down to simply hitting a draw...surprised it made that much difference..

I stand corrected then....:D

I also tested it and doing the happy allowed me to feel the transition better, especially the stretch in my left side, left arm P.A.#4. All I needed was to get the feel for it. I also hit one that hasn't landed yet, maybe it crossed Adams ball in it's orbit around earth:)

Ah, that makes sense...if you check the vid you'll see that Padraig has more right shoulder blade movement at the top than with his normal swing......that matches your finding....

Ah, that makes sense...if you check the vid you'll see that Padraig has more right shoulder blade movement at the top than with his normal swing......that matches your finding....

The shoulder blade thing is:cool: to see. A guy I talk to about the swing a bit, who studies the swing pretty much 24/7, noticed it in a whole lot of players that really hit the ball far. Tiger, Sadlowski, other long drivers, Bubba, Rory,Couples etc. Pretty neat little nuance I think.

The shoulder blade thing is:cool: to see. A guy I talk to about the swing a bit, who studies the swing pretty much 24/7, noticed it in a whole lot of players that really hit the ball far. Tiger, Sadlowski, other long drivers, Bubba, Rory,Couples etc. Pretty neat little nuance I think.

It's an MA thing vj, he emphasised it a lot in his teaching (moving the right shoulder blade towards the spine)......

My normal shot shape with a driver is a slight draw, but i like to play a baby fade, with the closed stance the ball definitely drew more, but you have to be careful, a stance too closed could lead to a lot of problems mainly underplane syndrome.

The Happy Ballflight with a solid hit is actually a straight ball to a push fade. Obviously i had to hit a lot of Happy Swings to actually catch one solid, which is exactly why nobody swings that way, and after a few blocks that would make CB blush, i ripped one out there pretty good. I attribute the Happy balls going left simply to the fact that you are swinging hard and your body is moving extremely fast which makes it difficult for your hands to catch up and square the face properly and get the club on plane and not below it.

Basically I would say if you don't already try to close your driver stance a little bit and hit up on the ball just don't flip it.

I would suggest only trying the Happy swing if you are in a scramble and there is a prize for long drive, and there are no hazards off the tee, and you already have a ball in the fairway :D

Thanks Adam, nice report....

Seems the closed stance gives a natural draw then....could be handy info for the future, considering drivers seem to be getting harder to shape.......

Status
Not open for further replies.