Faldo: why didn't I stay the course with your teachings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Occasionally I'll re-read some things to see if my level of understanding has increased to where I may interpret things differently. I came across this passage in Nick Faldo's book and it sounds a lot like things that have been discussed around here lately. Feel free to give me the needle about my man crush.....it may be growing stronger.

"What happens from here in starting the downswing is that your arms PULL down a few inches (recovery? Tangential?). It is smooth, not exaggerated; they have simply gone up to the top and then pull down a little. As they move down, you should now feel the right hand is going to stay in its cocked position but will now be BEHIND the shaft, having the feeling of being able to THROW the club OUT and round at the ball through impact (definition of tumble). Most people are confused by the idea of late hittting and think it means delay in the downward uncocking of the wrists. That isn't late hitting. What we mean by late hitting is the cocking back of the right wrist and they way in which the hand and wrist release the club back through the ball (Noren tumble drill).

Firstly, you are justified in your man crush. Secondly, there has been zero written material by championship professional golfers, other than Bobby Jones and Ben Hogan, that can compare to anything Faldo has done.

One could argue that they don't prefer his methods of play, but it can not be argued that he did deliver, in text, every precise bit of knowledge he has. As a person who owns and has thoroughly read over 200 instructional books on golf swing mechanics, I believe "Golf- The Winning Formula" to be a complete as and transparent as any.

That what makes the comments he makes about swings on TV so bizarre. I sometimes think he's laughing to himself when he makes a comment on technique fit for mainstream consumption.

I also have "Golf - The Winning Formula" and out of the couple dozen instructional books I've read it is my favorite. Plus I like books with pictures. :eek:

That what makes the comments he makes about swings on TV so bizarre. I sometimes think he's laughing to himself when he makes a comment on technique fit for mainstream consumption.
Because of something called "concision"

Read or Reread Gardner Dickinson's book "let 'er Rip" another book that had a lot of good answers now that I am not looking through my "yellow" colored glasses.

Kevin, you can put back your Fathead poster of Faldo on your bedroom wall. Although I would prefer this one: Paula Creamer - Paula Creamer - Golf

One of the reasons I am attracted to the new ideas about the release is that I hit it further focusing on going normal over holding the flw. I understand that Faldo was relatively short off the tee. Why would that be the case if he released the club through impact properly?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Two reasons IMO. He went for accuracy over distance as a style of play. Also, I believe Leads TGM influence had a part in his preference of resisting the right wrist straightening. Had he let the club relEase harder he may have gotten more distance without any loss of control. Also, Faldo's lack of distance is way overblown, despite what stats say. He moved it past Norman on many occasions. Still, I agree that he could've been much longer.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
A lot of Tour pros swing as fast and hit as far as they need.

Greg Maddux could throw a baseball 94 mph, but never did in a game.

LOL that's because by the time he was in the pro's is velocity had slowed down to where he really couldn't. I watched Maddux growing up in Chicago and his fast ball during his pro career was really in the high 80s with a few 90-91mphs. He was in the lower 90s when he was in high school but age didn't do well for his velocity.

Firstly, you are justified in your man crush. Secondly, there has been zero written material by championship professional golfers, other than Bobby Jones and Ben Hogan, that can compare to anything Faldo has done.

One could argue that they don't prefer his methods of play, but it can not be argued that he did deliver, in text, every precise bit of knowledge he has. As a person who owns and has thoroughly read over 200 instructional books on golf swing mechanics, I believe "Golf- The Winning Formula" to be a complete as and transparent as any.

I want to agree. But what about "The Killer Swing"?

When you can throw the ball over the black part of the plate all day long, speed takes on whole new meaning...

faldo found a move (with Lead) and stayed the course, speed be damned. Like I can swing like this at X MPH and when I go to X+1, it's not the same move. Tiger never drove the ball better than he did with a 43 inch steel shaft, but he didn't stay that course. Probably a lot to be said for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.