Faldo: why didn't I stay the course with your teachings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Jim, wrong on that one. Maddox was consistently in the low 90s for the Cubs. Lot of strikeouts back then.

We were both right really,

from wiki
Maddux relied on his command, composure, and guile to outwit hitters. Though his fastball touched 93 mph in his first few seasons, his velocity steadily declined throughout his career, and was never his principal focus as a pitcher.

So by the time i remember him he was in the high 80s low 90s

Important to remember that Wikipedia is not a legitimate vetted source for reference, but if he had a 90+ fastball later in his career, you bet your ass he would have thrown it.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Important to remember that Wikipedia is not a legitimate vetted source for reference, but if he had a 90+ fastball later in his career, you bet your ass he would have thrown it.

Agreed however i checked the source for the above statement and that was a good one. Again i'm a youngn' so when "i remember" him his velocity had already slowed some.

i know this is not a baseball forum but...some of the Braves of the Maddox days tell stories of sitting next to him on his days off, and how they were blown away by his knowledge of the hitters, what pitch was coming next, and stuff like "if he swings at this, he pulls it" "or this one is coming our way" and there'd be a line drive in the dugout. So on top of is craft. Part of his secret me thinks

I forget who Maddux's first designated catcher was with the Braves but I remember an interview in which he said the first thing Maddux said to him after being introduced is "Whats the sign for the knockdown pitch?" Gotta love it. Guys these days practically stand on the plate and nothing happens. Even an 88 mph fastball will make you think twice about that strategy when it's thrown at your chin.

ej20

New
Faldo's best book was "Golf,the winning formula".He went into incredible detail in describing the swing(at least his own swing) and a lot of that stuff left you scratching your head until a light bulb goes off years later.

I liked in particular his technique of lowering the plane of the arms and club in the transition which he believed was a safeguard against coming OTT.You can see this move quite clearly in his transition and it's very similar to Alvaro Quiros.

Faldo needs to spend some more time with Trackman though...he just said on the AT&T coverage that you need to hit the inside of the ball for a fade and the outside of the ball for a draw. Pretty far off on a number of accounts. And he's on the Trackman team. Wow.

I have his book "Golf: The Winning Formula", it seems comprehensive but I have yet to read it.....for those that have read both is there a big difference in the books?

I have his book "Golf: The Winning Formula", it seems comprehensive but I have yet to read it.....for those that have read both is there a big difference in the books?

Both Faldo books? If that's what you meant, then yes. Swing for Life is nicely presented with colour photos and Harold Riley sketches - but there's far more detail in The Winning Formula. I'd take the earlier book for the short game sections alone.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Faldo needs to spend some more time with Trackman though...he just said on the AT&T coverage that you need to hit the inside of the ball for a fade and the outside of the ball for a draw. Pretty far off on a number of accounts. And he's on the Trackman team. Wow.

Relative to where you want the ball to start he would be correct.

Winning Formula is the most detailed (absolutely no detail about the swing omitted) and A Swing for Life has probably the finest production quality of any instruction book...photos are absolutely top shelf. He is updating a Swing for Life...I wish he were updating Winning Formula with higher quality pictures.

Does anyone agree with that when Charlie Wi came over the top when he hit that shot left, with a draw, of #15 and made bogey yesterday?

Status
Not open for further replies.