Faldo: why didn't I stay the course with your teachings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he "bent" the plane line...he bent it to the RIGHT! Kostis did a decent job commenting on a drive (not sure which hole)Tiger hit to the left, by saying his arms moved too far to the right. Nobody talks about the connection between the angle of attack and the path. I am a nobody in the middle of nowhere... and I know...?????

That Faldo Winning Formula book is incredible. It was the first book I ever went "all in" on and tried to adopt the swing described. The sequence where he describes his own phyiscal feels at each stage of the swing along with the 4 angle views taught me much. I'm not familiar with any works by any tour pros that approaches this level of detail.

All that being said, I fought hooks that entire period. He was describing a motion (or at least my interpretation) that lagged the clubhead well behind the hands at the last parrallel. I'd have to go back and look for the page but I believe he even states this outright at some point. Maybe this was more effective with the frozen right wrist technique... but it had me approaching the ball extremely inside out.

ej20

New
I struggled as well with the first move lifting the left shoulder, shallowing the plane and getting the club behind me.
The book was written fresh after his swing makeover and most of it was his feels.Not everything he described was the reality.

The lifting of the left shoulder to initiate the downswing is a bad thought in my opinion and if you look at Faldo's swing sequence in that book,he doesn't do that.If you look at his dtl swing sequence from page 45,there is no lifting of his left shoulder from B7 to B9.

I think that's the key to reading instruction books.Making sure the feel equals real.

Most good players left shoulder stays level and in some cases even drop a little in the early downswing before lifting.Faldo is no different.

What do you guys think of the emphasis he put on the right wrist hinging backwards in Winning Formula? Is this a common move? He was certainly against any type of upward cocking of the wrists. In his later books did he change this view?

When I focus on setting the right wrist back I tend to hit the ball about 10 yards farther with every club but fight the clubhead getting too deep.

I guess as long as you are careful about your plane you can use the uncocking of the right wrist to really tumble the club as noted somewhere earlier in this thread.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
What do you guys think of the emphasis he put on the right wrist hinging backwards in Winning Formula? Is this a common move? He was certainly against any type of upward cocking of the wrists. In his later books did he change this view?

When I focus on setting the right wrist back I tend to hit the ball about 10 yards farther with every club but fight the clubhead getting too deep.

I guess as long as you are careful about your plane you can use the uncocking of the right wrist to really tumble the club as noted somewhere earlier in this thread.

I think right wrist bend is at very least a common denominator of all great strikers

Thanks Kevin. I see so many references our the Internet to the wrists moving up and down only.

I hit balls last night working on setting the right wrist back on itself but not letting the clubhead sling back behind me (which was the trap I'd usually fall in). A relatively weak right hand made this easier. Good stuff, added zip, and was easy to fade the ball that way.

Guys, would this be a good example of folding the right wrist back on itself? His whole back swing just looks like a wind up to tumble.

Status
Not open for further replies.