For all those that share Brian's "50 lb. goal" in 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
my two cents

Carby breakfast, then taper off through the day.

Evening meal portion sizes: Protein the size of a deck of cards; carbs the size of a small orange; veg as much as you want.

Work your backside off in the gym.

Buy smaller pants.

(My (very) anacdotal opinion is that v. low carb diets (e.g. Atkins) is good for people who don't do anything - you need some carbs to get through a good work out, be it heavy lifting or extended cardio)

:)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3416637.stm

"The Atkins dieters were eating less calories, in exactly the same way as those going to the slimming clubs on their low fat diets."

"Without apparently trying, people on the Atkins diet were eating less than they would normally."

"Perhaps without realising it, Dr Atkins stumbled across the secret of appetite control, by discovering a high protein diet."

Bronco Billy

As I said before, it's good to look at both sides of the coin. However, as you read through the "This information was found on Atkins Diet Alert" post, the claims they present appear to be, at best, anecdotal or inconclusive.

Do You Realize that at least 30% of the Medical Profession(Physians,Practioners,PA's,etc) prescribe the Atkins diet or some variant on a Regular Basis???? Why Because it Won't Hurt you and it WORKS....In the 80's Atkins a Cardioligist Prescibed the Low Carb diet to his diabetic Patients as every other physician did at the Time and still DO to Diabetics to control there fluctuating blood sugar levels..... He notice that his Diabetic Patients lost Weight on this Diet... He was struggling with his own weight problem and for the Hell of it went on this Diabetics Diet.... He lost weight and was NEVER Hungary.... Thus the Birth of the Atkin's Diet..... The Decision to go on this Diet WILL Profoundy CHANGE your Life for the BETTER.... Have a Great Day and I Hope You Make the Right Decision......:)

atkins.jpg

First, it's hunGRY, no a in there

to the real topic, the reason atkins works, is because people eat less junk food on it, and most diets as long as they aren't crash diets will work if the person is really overweight, seeing as their Daily Caloric intake will go below their maintenance level. Also, you say at least 30% of doctors prescribe the atkins diet because it wont hurt you and it works, why wouldn't 100% of doctors prescribe it.

If people want to lose weight, find your Maintenance level of calories per day, and eat 350-500 less than that, eating healthy by just making sure you get all your needed nutrients, in simple terms 3500 calories=1 pound of fat, so if you eat 500 calories less than your maintenance level, there you go

its all common sense

Chris Sturgess

Maybe he was saying that on the Atkins diet you never travel to eastern europe, specifically Hungary. I wonder how much commision Bronco Billy made for that post.

And also for the record, all carbs aren't going to spike your insulin levels and make you fat. There is a difference between simple carbs and complex carbs. Complex carbs are perfectly fine.

Bronco Billy

Maybe he was saying that on the Atkins diet you never travel to eastern europe, specifically Hungary. I wonder how much commision Bronco Billy made for that post.

And also for the record, all carbs aren't going to spike your insulin levels and make you fat. There is a difference between simple carbs and complex carbs. Complex carbs are perfectly fine.

That's Funny as Hell..:D :D :D I've Been Doin the Hungary Thing Forever and never Realized it.... For the record I do take Massive Vitamin and Fiber Suppliments.... Also Drink Three Pots of Black Cafeine Coffee/Day along with the case of Ice Mountain Water.... I'm WIRED.....Who the Hell Needs Beer??? Besides I already Drank my 250,000 Cans and that's NO BS.... Have a Great Day.....:)

cdog

New
Most diets have i thing in common...they cut out all the BULLSH1T foods!

It's really that simple, the hard part is making a commitment....ummm, notice how that is hard for most people doing about anything??

Just look at golf, people are constantly changing, they won't commit to A program or direction and STICK TO IT. People can't hold to their commitments....PERIOD.

Bronco Billy

Miserable Existance.....

Most diets have i thing in common...they cut out all the BULLSH1T foods!

It's really that simple, the hard part is making a commitment....ummm, notice how that is hard for most people doing about anything??

Just look at golf, people are constantly changing, they won't commit to A program or direction and STICK TO IT. People can't hold to their commitments....PERIOD.

Atkins has never Denied and Endorses Calories as a method of predicting and controlling Weight gain... Physics as in everything else RULES.... I can show you threads in this Forum where the very same people whos are Dissing this Diet have torn apart Mandrin and his Myth Breakers.... and You know What... They were DEAD ASS WRONG.... as they are HERE......

Any Accumulation of Excess Calories Equaling 3500 NO MATTER where they come FROM will put on 1# of Body Fat on the Human Body....The Atkins Diet Controls your Fluctuating Blood Sugar Levels Thus you only Eat the Amount you Need and are NEVER HUNGARY..... If You Choose to Live a MISERABLE EXISTANCE and ALWAYS be Between Meals and Hungary Stay on the Goverment Endorsed "Food" Pyramid..... So Be It... Have a Great Day with Your New Found Knowledge.....:)

I think the misconception about Atkins is that it's an all meat, high saturated fat diet. While Atkins claims that you can eat all of the saturated fat you want, you don't have to. My wife and I are doing Atkins, but we're electing to use ground turkey instead of ground beef, we eat a decent amount of fish, and most of the fats that we're eating are of the healthy variety. Despite a weight of 443, I had cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the normal range. I don't want to risk messing that up. I don't see why I can't loose weight without taking a chance on the health of my heart. There's convincing "clinical" information from both sides of the aisle. Who's right, who's wrong? I don't know. But like I said, I'm not taking chances.

You're right about the differences between simple and complex carbs. That said, you also have to account for glycemic load. If you eat too many carbs in one sitting, it can send your insulin levels higher than you want them. I guess that, in the end, it all comes down to moderation.

Bronco Billy

I think the misconception about Atkins is that it's an all meat, high saturated fat diet. While Atkins claims that you can eat all of the saturated fat you want, you don't have to. My wife and I are doing Atkins, but we're electing to use ground turkey instead of ground beef, we eat a decent amount of fish, and most of the fats that we're eating are of the healthy variety. Despite a weight of 443, I had cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the normal range. I don't want to risk messing that up. I don't see why I can't loose weight without taking a chance on the health of my heart. There's convincing "clinical" information from both sides of the aisle. Who's right, who's wrong? I don't know. But like I said, I'm not taking chances.

Terrific Life Style Change.... This is Not a DIET but a Way of Life I Have Been on Atkins for 8 Years....I Love the Food..... 1/2# Bacon and 4 Eggs this Morning.... 2#'s of Baby Back Ribs with Sauce this Afternoon.... 6 OZ of Planters Peanuts eaten one at a time Tonight..... Total Carbs about 50 from the sauce.... Total Cals. about 2700.... Whose Right??? Dr. Robert Atkins Is.... The Man Was a Visionary..... Have a Great day.....:)

23042820.jpg
23367853.jpg
15-00007-000_Planters_Peanuts.jpg

Last edited:

Bronco Billy

Do you eat any fruits/vegetables bronco billy?

Your Mother Lied to You..... Fruits are NOt GOOD for You.... They are all Sugar.... Any Green Vegetables are Atkins Friendly.... I eat Green Beans and Brocholi Now and Then for the Hell of it and because I like their Tastes.... It's a Waste of time... Check the Labels... There is Nothing in Them.... I Deep Batter Fry Islandic Cod/Haddock/Chicken/CatFish Three times a Week.... Sometime I'll 1/4 a Peach or an Apple and Batter Deep fry the 4 Pieces.... What a Treat Salted Deep Batter Fried Peach Quarters..... Have a Great Day......:)

Your Mother Lied to You..... Fruits are NOt GOOD for You.... They are all Sugar.... Any Green Vegetables are Atkins Friendly.... I eat Green Beans and Brocholi Now and Then for the Hell of it and because I like their Tastes.... It's a Waste of time... Check the Labels... There is Nothing in Them.... I Deep Batter Fry Islandic Cod/Haddock/Chicken/CatFish Three times a Week.... Sometime I'll 1/4 a Peach or an Apple and Batter Deep fry the 4 Pieces.... What a Treat Salted Deep Batter Fried Peach Quarters..... Have a Great Day......:)

"Fruits are all sugar"--DUH! What did you think they are? Your body runs off sugar. Without a certain type of sugar your brain can't function.

Nobody EVER got fat because they ate too much fruit/vegetables.PERIOD!

I had no idea when posting my suggestion to read Taubes' book that this would be more controversial than the One Plane Swing. Amazing, really.

Seriously, for all of those who think you understand everything about diet from thirty years of reading about nutrition, read Good Calories, Bad Calories. It might blow up your worldview, the way reading TGM blew up your Golf Digest tip-of the-month-worldview. Until you are willing to read it, you can't debate it. It's not easy reading, I challenge you to read it.

Bronco Billy may be far, far closer to the science than you are, as it stands today. Learn why, based on Endocrinology 101, the diet that works on a person 5 lbs overwieght will not work on a person 40 lbs overweight. Learn why the gross measurement of your total cholesterol may be a poor measurement of your risk for coronary heart disease and how the rules with respect to longevity and cholesterol are different than you imagine and how very different the whole analysis is for women vs. men. Endocrinonolgy 101 explains why the glass of orange juice may be more doing to kill you than the sausage if you are 40 lbs overweight.

You can't debate TGM till you read it. Read Taubes' book and report back - you can't debate that either until you read it.

It might change your life. Take the challenge and report back.

Last edited:

Bronco Billy

I had no idea when posting my suggestion to read Taubes' book that this would be more controversial than the One Plane Swing. Amazing, really.

Seriously, for all of those who think you understand everything about diet from thirty years of reading about nutrition, read Good Calories, Bad Calories. It might blow up your worldview. Until you are willing to read it, you can't debate it. Bronco Billy for all his bacon-eating bluster may be far, far closer to the science than you are, as it stands today. Seriously, give it a shot.

Endocrinonolgy 101 explains why the glass of orange juice may be more doing to kill you than the sausage.

You can't debate TGM till you read it. Read Taubes' book and report back. You can't debate that either until you read it, either.

It might change your life.

Oranges_and_juice.jpg

The Killer.....

Bronco Billy-

You definitely crack me up!

But, you know, you are right about the OJ. It's hard to imagine - other than junk food, or sugary soda, or something with high-fructose corn-syrup - something less healthy than a big chug of OJ. Funny how we've been programmed to think otherwise. It's natural. Lots of vitamins.

best, niblick1

12 oz. can of Coca Cola Classic = 140 Calories
12 oz. glass of Orange Juice = 160 Calories

Why not just eat an Orange, about 60 calories for a medium sized orange.

If we should really just concentrate on getting the most of our calories from carbs, we could just drink Coke all day, 100% calories from carbs, 0% fat, must be healthy???

Actually, Atkins and other low carb methods are successful in that they eliminate these high GI (Glycemic Index) carbs and emphasize the healthy, low GI carbs, Broccoli, Salad, etc.... Except, of course, in the induction stage (the first 2 weeks) where carbs are almost totally eliminated to help break most peoples sugar addiction.

Lots to be learned, in nutrition as well as golf.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.