For all those that share Brian's "50 lb. goal" in 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
12 oz. can of Coca Cola Classic = 140 Calories
12 oz. glass of Orange Juice = 160 Calories

Why not just eat an Orange, about 60 calories for a medium sized orange.

If we should really just concentrate on getting the most of our calories from carbs, we could just drink Coke all day, 100% calories from carbs, 0% fat, must be healthy???

Do you really think that a glass of orange juice is similar nutritionally to the equivalent volume of coke?

If you're trying to lose weight, and think that you are consuming less calories drinking OJ instead of Coke, then you are fooling yourself. Yes, you are getting a good dose of Vitamin C, but you are still raising your blood sugar levels and triggering an insulin response, which in turn makes it very hard for the body to burn any of your fat stores.

But the Orange Juice lobby, and Coca Cola owns Minute Maid by the way, sure does a good job of making you believe that it's healthy for you.

Just like most of the golf world believes Leadbetter is the best instructor there is.

John

If you're trying to lose weight, and think that you are consuming less calories drinking OJ instead of Coke, then you are fooling yourself. Yes, you are getting a good dose of Vitamin C, but you are still raising your blood sugar levels and triggering an insulin response, which in turn makes it very hard for the body to burn any of your fat stores.

But the Orange Juice lobby, and Coca Cola owns Minute Maid by the way, sure does a good job of making you believe that it's healthy for you.

Just like most of the golf world believes Leadbetter is the best instructor there is.

Very true. In terms of just pure weight gain and insulin regulation issues OJ and Coke may are probably very close to each other, but not quite identically bad for you.

Coke has high fructose corn syrup, which may be one of the worst substances a person can consume because of the combined fructose effect (on triglycerides) and the glucose effect (on insulin/fat regulation) make it one of the worst food substances a person can possibly consume. Plus who knows what else is in the soft drink. I don't think an informed person could rationally consume soft drinks or allow their kids to do so. Learning not to consume soft drinks is probably as fundamental to decent health as learning about a flat left wrist in connection with golf.

Bronco Billy

3 pounds? You should enter the Nathan's Hotdog Eating Contest this summer.

Right.... Make that 2#... I buy these at Sams ave 6# a Pack.... Each pack is 3 Meals for Me.... Give them a try... they are the Best in the World..... Have a great Day....:)

1594742.sams_club_mega_ribs.jpg

Last edited:

Bronco Billy

Very true. In terms of just pure weight gain and insulin regulation issues OJ and Coke may are probably very close to each other, but not quite identically bad for you.

Coke has high fructose corn syrup, which may be one of the worst substances a person can consume because of the combined fructose effect (on triglycerides) and the glucose effect (on insulin/fat regulation) make it one of the worst food substances a person can possibly consume. Plus who knows what else is in the soft drink. I don't think an informed person could rationally consume soft drinks or allow their kids to do so. Learning not to consume soft drinks is probably as fundamental to decent health as learning about a flat left wrist in connection with golf.

Niblick for all Your Good Intentions..... You and Your Dr. Wife are Mixing Apples and Oranges........ Stay OFF of Other CRUSADES..... We are NOT Dissing Bacon and Skinny Soft Drinks Here..... There is NOTHING WRONG with Diet Soda or Bacon....... This Discussion Deals with Taubes and Atkins which are Deeply intwined Topics.... In Real Life the Two Men were Best of Friends....Stay On Topic..... Have a Great Day with Your Newly Found Manners......:)

Not talking about diet drinks. Just the stuff with sugar.

Taubes has quite a bit to say as he summarizes science about high fructose corn syrup as a sweetener.

Bronco Billy - I was being genuine. I love your posts on this stuff. You are a funny (ha ha funny) guy! Really I meant nothing mean by my comments about your posts. Drop me an email if you don't mind (your's is blocked).

Last edited:
What credentials does Taubes have? All I saw was that he is a medical researcher. Does he at least have a BA or BS in something science related?

Niblick, first, notice that I'm NOT saying that food type doesn't matter. I'm just saying sometimes people loose perspective of their total calories.

No doubt true.

Assuming calories are equal, some foods makes us feel fuller faster therefore we are less inclined to go munch on other foods.

Put another way, for people with insulin regulation issues and a decent amount of fat, avoiding carbs from diet almost entirely removes hunger as an issue.

Think about it another way. I totally agree with Taubes that there are good calories and bad calories. So low glycemic carbs are better than higher ones.

Agreed. No doubt low glycemic carbs have less of an effect on insulin, thus less of an effect on fat storage. The more complex and lower glycemic index the carbs the more of them you can eat before you start to store fat.

Does that mean you can loose weight by eating 5 slices of wholemeal bread rather than 1 slice of white bread?

Nope, I agree, if the glycemic load of the wheat bread exceeds the load of 1 slice of white bread, it is worse for those with insulin issues.

Or a 30oz steak rather than a piece of white bread with some jam? I don't think so - and yet there are people out there who are cheating themselves by thinking they can!

Actually, this is the part people misunderstand about insulin and fat regulation. It is, as Taubes calls it, Endocrinology 101. 2000 calories of Wonder bread, Coke and potato chips will make some people fat while 2000 calories containing no, or almost no carbohydrates, will allow many of those same people to lose weight. For thin people with no insulin regulation issue the short-term, one day effect of both diets on fat storage may be exactly the same (not talking about long-term effects).

So bottom line: first look at your total calories, then start to consider where those calories are coming from.

No doubt true. No doubt complex carbs better at least in part because of the lessened insulin effect - the effective carb gram impact is less.

If you just consider where you calories are coming and eat like it's the end of the world, then from my experience you will not loose fat.

The odd thing is that for those with insulin and body fat issues, if they keep carbohydates low, most will not want to eat like it's the end of the world, but some of those who do eat quite a decent amount of calories will lose weight as long as total carb grams are very low (now there may well be other health effects that could be problems, but I am talking about fat as the issue).

The reason is that for many people who have decent sized fat stores and insulin level issues, is that carbs effect insulin, which regulates fat storage and fat burning. Fat storage and fat burning are not regulated by fat and protein intake (which has almost no direct insulin effect) but by carbohydrate intake. This is why all calories are not equal - in some people, especially those with certain genetic pre-dispositions and with a decent amount of body fat. You can't just add up the calories.

Leo (is that right?), buy the Taubes book. If you read the whole book and end up thinking it was just junk or a waste of time, email me and I will send you a check for the cost of the book.

This link discusses some of the pre-book furor and Taubes background and other articles:http://web.mit.edu/knight-science/fellows/interviews/taubes.html

And, by the way, to everyone out there I promise not another non-golf related post in 2008 and I apologize to anyone for my being overly-defensive in this thread. Don't give up on teaching me about golf in my golf threads! (and I really do love the picture of the pound of bacon in this thread...)

Last edited:

Chris Sturgess

With the Atkins thing. Some of you are going too far with it and not being healthy I think. Sure eating steak and eggs will not make you as overweight/fat as eating white bread and soda. But, it will give you higher cholesterol, the bad kind. That is not healthy. So my point is that it is possible to lose weight in an unhealthy way and in a lot of cases the Atkins diet results in that. So for all you Atkins Diet fanboy enthusiasts out there, eat some proteins that have more good fat/cholesterol than bad, which basically means eat fish but also beans or other proteins that don't have bad or any fat. Fat is not bad, "bad fat is bad." The same thing with carbs, carbs are not bad, "bad carbs are bad." Vegetables are usually entirely carbs, in almost all cases you can not get fat from eating vegetables, with maybe the exception of potatoes, you could eat vegetables all day and you'll be fine. Salad without sugary, fatty dressing has never made anyone fat. So to all you Atkins fans out there eat some fish, beans, and vegetables and you will be much healthier in addition to not being overweight.

One more thing for Bronco Billy, check the sugar stats on those ribs, usually the amount of grams of sugar on ribs is huge.

Bronco Billy

It's a Big Fat Lie......

With the Atkins thing. Some of you are going too far with it and not being healthy I think. Sure eating steak and eggs will not make you as overweight/fat as eating white bread and soda. But, it will give you higher cholesterol, the bad kind. That is not healthy. So my point is that it is possible to lose weight in an unhealthy way and in a lot of cases the Atkins diet results in that. So for all you Atkins Diet fanboy enthusiasts out there, eat some proteins that have more good fat/cholesterol than bad, which basically means eat fish but also beans or other proteins that don't have bad or any fat. Fat is not bad, "bad fat is bad." The same thing with carbs, carbs are not bad, "bad carbs are bad." Vegetables are usually entirely carbs, in almost all cases you can not get fat from eating vegetables, with maybe the exception of potatoes, you could eat vegetables all day and you'll be fine. Salad without sugary, fatty dressing has never made anyone fat. So to all you Atkins fans out there eat some fish, beans, and vegetables and you will be much healthier in addition to not being overweight.

What You Say is just NOT TRUE..... You and the Majority of People in this Country will Live Miserable Lives adhering to the Food Pyramid.... The Food Pyramid Diet is NOT HEALTHY for any Animal Species..... The Food Pyramid Diet Has Caused an OBESITY EPIDEMIC in this Country.... The Atkin's Diet is Simply the Healthiest Possible Diet there is for a Human Being and There is NO Compromise....

The Food Pyramid is a Big Fat Lie.................

Chris Sturgess

Um, are you insane or just as dumb as your writing style suggests. I mean seriously you capitalize every word, use "...." instead of sentences, and use all caps and big fonts like a immature little kid would. Settle down there spaz.

I didn't say anything about the food pyramid. Did you read my post or did you read something else? Where are you getting that. Address something specifically that I said that you think is wrong.

And how many grams of sugar are in those ribs?

I have to admit I agree with Chris. Billy you should be buying your ribs raw and and grill them yourself with a spicy, no sugar sauce. The same with your veggies, buy them raw and prepare them yourself. The prepackaged, preserved, full of chemical crap that the food industry pushes on us is the main problem.

Eat natural whole foods, prepared yourself.

The main gripe I have with Atkins, is that they try to hard to sell all there prepackaged, low carb products.

cdog

New
Most people are over weight because they eat junk food in excess, they eat to much food, they don't move their bodies.

Most people think atkins diet is the induction phase of the diet.

Most people complicate nearly everything.

There are a few people that think if 2 asprin work well, then half the bottle will work great.

Last edited:
I think you've been bounced off your horse a few too many...

What You Say is just NOT TRUE..... You and the Majority of People in this Country will Live Miserable Lives adhering to the Food Pyramid.... The Food Pyramid Diet is NOT HEALTHY for any Animal Species..... The Food Pyramid Diet Has Caused an OBESITY EPIDEMIC in this Country.... The Atkin's Diet is Simply the Healthiest Possible Diet there is for a Human Being and There is NO Compromise....

The Food Pyramid is a Big Fat Lie.................

Will you get off this food pyramid thing? Just because we don't support Atkins, doesn't mean we subscribe to it. Atkins is not the end all be all and you have worn out the possibility that most of us would even consider it after seeing what kind of goof you are. Seriously, drink one of those Buds you gave up and chill.

BTW...in the spirit of what I suggested we use this thread for, I've lost 6 lbs in the last week eating complex carbs, lean meats, fruits and veggies....oh yeah, and a little exercise. Down to 207 with a target weight of 180. I know I won't lose 6lbs every week...it will come off a little quicker in the beginning.

Last edited:
Bill, I hate to tell you, but it sounds to me like you are doing baically a low carb diet. Sounds like you've cut out all the simple carbs, which is the main message from Atkins and the like. Of course, Atkins would also allow you to add more fat to your diet, but it's not required. Somehow people get this idea that you're only allowed to eat lard and butter on these diets. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I'm doing sort of the same thing right now. My wife is a big Weight Watchers fan and I agreed to do it with her. So I've combined the two. Cutting out all the "bad" carbs, but also keeping the fat intake in line with the WW point system.

Keep up the good work, and I wish you the best of luck.

...a little advice

remember, most people overestimate the weight they can lose in a week, but underestimate the how much they can lose in a year.

Bronco Billy

Bill, I hate to tell you, but it sounds to me like you are doing baically a low carb diet. Sounds like you've cut out all the simple carbs, which is the main message from Atkins and the like. Of course, Atkins would also allow you to add more fat to your diet, but it's not required. Somehow people get this idea that you're only allowed to eat lard and butter on these diets. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I'm doing sort of the same thing right now. My wife is a big Weight Watchers fan and I agreed to do it with her. So I've combined the two. Cutting out all the "bad" carbs, but also keeping the fat intake in line with the WW point system.

Keep up the good work, and I wish you the best of luck.

You will FAIL on the Combination and Your Wife Will Also FAIL on Weight Watchers as She has Before..... It's like quitting Smoking... Cold Turkey or Nothing.... You will not stop Hyperglosimia unless you cut down to 100Grams of Carbs/Day.... I eat Rye Bread,Butter,green Beans,Brocholi/Hot Peppers, Sweet BBQ sauce(The Ribs had 50g carbs from the sauce), thin Crust Pizza(100g Carbs), I deep fry in flour/eggs/seltzer Water,ETC... The SECRET is to Eat ONLY 100 g carbs or less/Day.... You Could Drink 10 cans of Coors Lite Beer(50g) and Eat 50 grams of other Carb Food per day.... You MUST count Calories and determine what is right for You to Mantain or Loss Weight....The BEAUTY of the Atkin's Diet is that it is the HEALTHIEST and You Are NEVER HUNGARY....There is No Compromise.... You MUST Eat Under 100 Carb Grams/Day and Your Maintenance/Loss Number of Calories/Day..... Have a Great Day....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.