For all those that share Brian's "50 lb. goal" in 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Status

Jan 4: 260
Mar 28: 235

I never did read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" but read book reviews and searched other sources. I don't count carbs but I do watch the carb content. I cut out all the bread by switching to whole wheat flat bread. I don't eat potatos or rice, beans are now my potatos. I drink wine, low carb beer (Natural Light and Bud Select), and replaced gatorade with Costco's Vita Rain which has zero carbs and zero calories. I have not had blood work done since losing the weight but I feel better and no longer use a CPAP machine for Apnea.

You can also replace pasta with Dreamfields pasta. It actually tastes better and feels you up with less.

I splurged last night and had a jaeger snitzel and a Bitburger at a german eatery. I will start introducing things back that have a bit more carbs such as bananas, yogurt, and cereal once I get to 230. I'm 6 ft 5 so 230 is a decent weight for me.

I snack on nuts as well and low carb ice cream. I use to eat crappy deserts all the time and thought donuts were OK for breakfast. I don't eat much sugar now.

I for one am glad this thread was started and replied to. It changed my life. Thanks.

Bronco Billy

The Truth........

Jan 4: 260
Mar 28: 235

I never did read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" but read book reviews and searched other sources. I don't count carbs but I do watch the carb content. I cut out all the bread by switching to whole wheat flat bread. I don't eat potatos or rice, beans are now my potatos. I drink wine, low carb beer (Natural Light and Bud Select), and replaced gatorade with Costco's Vita Rain which has zero carbs and zero calories. I have not had blood work done since losing the weight but I feel better and no longer use a CPAP machine for Apnea.

You can also replace pasta with Dreamfields pasta. It actually tastes better and feels you up with less.

I splurged last night and had a jaeger snitzel and a Bitburger at a german eatery. I will start introducing things back that have a bit more carbs such as bananas, yogurt, and cereal once I get to 230. I'm 6 ft 5 so 230 is a decent weight for me.

I snack on nuts as well and low carb ice cream. I use to eat crappy deserts all the time and thought donuts were OK for breakfast. I don't eat much sugar now.

I for one am glad this thread was started and replied to. It changed my life. Thanks.

As I(Gary Taubes-Good Calories Bad Calories) emerge from this research, though, certain conclusions seem inescapable to me, based on the existing knowledge:

1. Dietary fat, whether saturated or not, is not a cause of obesity, heart disease, or any other chronic disease of civilization.

2. The problem is the carbohydrates in the diet, their effect on insulin secretion, and thus the hormonal regulation of homeostasis the entire harmonic ensemble of the human body. The more easily digestible and refined the carbohydrates, the greater the effect on our health, weight, and well-being.

3. Sugars sucrose and high-fructose corn syrup specifically are particularly harmful, probably because the combination of fructose and glucose simultaneously elevates insulin levels while overloading the liver with carbohydrates.

4. Through their direct effect on insulin and blood sugar, refined carbohydrates, starches, and sugars are the dietary cause of coronary heart disease and diabetes. They are the most likely dietary causes of cancer, Alzheimer's disease, and the other chronic diseases of civilization.

5. Obesity is a disorder of excess fat accumulation, not overeating, and not sedentary behavior.

6. Consuming excess calories does not cause us to grow fatter, any more than it causes a child to grow taller. Expending more energy than we consume does not lead to long-term weight loss; it leads to hunger.

7. Fattening and obesity are caused by an imbalance a disequilibrium in the hormonal regulation of adipose tissue and fat metabolism. Fat synthesis and storage exceed the mobilization of fat from the adipose tissue and its subsequent oxidation. We become leaner when the hormonal regulation of the fat tissue reverses this balance.

8. Insulin is the primary regulator of fat storage. When insulin levels are elevated either chronically or after a meal we accumulate fat in our fat tissue. When insulin levels fall, we release fat from our fat tissue and use it for fuel.

9. By stimulating insulin secretion, carbohydrates make us fat and ultimately cause obesity. The fewer carbohydrates we consume, the leaner we will be.

10. By driving fat accumulation, carbohydrates also increase hunger and decrease the amount of energy we expend in metabolism and physical activity.

Ever since the birth of my first child in 1983. I have been on some diet or other. I have constantly been yo yoing back and forth all these years. I have tried everything out there, from Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem, Atkins the Zone, and all the ones in between. I always reached my goal weight but found it totally impossible to keep it there. Also on a lot of these diets I didn't feel well at all, lacked energy.

Until now!!!!!!!

I bought yet another book. It is by Dr Will Clower He advocates the French style diet (which I had tried in other peoples versions, but wasn't good) He wants you to eat what you love, to really enjoy each bite, eat quality food, not faux processed, preserved garbage. A big key is to eat it really slowly. Take the time to sit down and spend at least 20 mins eating your meals.

He also says eat full fat foods. No diet foods. As soon as something is labelled diet they have usually added lots of faux sweetener like high fructose corn syrup. He wants you to drastically reduce your sugar intake.

By the way. I didn't do the online thing. I just bought his book called The French Don't Diet Plan.

This is the first diet for me that is totally effortless. I eat all the foods I love, cheese, wine, bread, pate, chocolate, yummy fatty sauces. Eating slowly has stopped me overeating. The fat back in the diet has left me satiated between meals.

As far as exercise goes he wants you to get it from your daily activities, not the gym. Walk more. Take the stairs not the elevator etc.

This diet has been amazing for me. My blood levels came back really good too. :)

I have been on this "lifestyle" for a year now. I just got back from a month in Barbados where I ate out every day at fine restaurants where I had pretty much anything I wanted. (but ate really slowly and took home leftovers) Usually in this case I would have probably gained at least 10lbs lol. I did gain 2lbs but within the week of being back I am back to my normal weight. Over Christmas and a trip for 3 wks to family in the Uk I came back without gaining an ounce.

You have to find the diet that works for you. If you are not enjoying it then it won't last for you.

He also has a website http://www.pathonline.net/about_drwill.php

anyway just my two cents. This is what has finally worked for me. Good luck to everyone.

I didn't do the online thing. I just bought his book called the French Don't Diet Plan. I love the recipes.

Last edited:
If anyone here is really interested in making healthy lifestyle changes, I recommend the books by Dean Ornish, MD. He has done numerous studies that have been published in peer-reviewed medical journals showing that with his program heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc can be reversed without medications. This is real proven science. It may not be what some of you want to hear though.

Bronco Billy

Obesity Epidemic.......

Dean Ornish--the low-fat guru. What an idiot!

You Got that One Right..... The Government and the Low Fat Food Pyramid Destroyed the Health of this Country...... Their is an Epidemic of Obesity.....Atkins and Taubes 10 Revelations is the Only Hope.....Either Follow Their Dictates or Forever be Fat, Lethargic, and Hungary..... Have a Great Day with Your New Found Knowledge......:)

Bronco Billy, if you can get one thing out of this thread, please let it be how to properly spell hungry and that there is no reason to capitalize every word of a sentence.

maybe the secret to your weight loss is the extra calories you burn with the excessive keystrokes that come from the unneccesary capitalization and adding letters to words!

If anyone here is really interested in making healthy lifestyle changes, I recommend the books by Dean Ornish, MD. He has done numerous studies that have been published in peer-reviewed medical journals showing that with his program heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc can be reversed without medications. This is real proven science. It may not be what some of you want to hear though.

I recommend reading Taubes' book, as it is in part a synthesis and analysis of the state of current peer reviewed science, which is why it is not easy to read.

You might conclude that Ornish's recommendations have some beneficial results because the diet inadvertently limits carbohydrates and processed foods high in carbs, not because of the underlying scientific validity of his approach or because limiting fat has much scientific in the way of a scientific basis.

Read it and report back.

It is interesting to me on an anecdotal basis that the people most receptive to Taubes' book in the medical field are the more research-oriented, while many people who are very resistant to the concepts read less peer-reviewed literature and were trained in the 70's and 80's. It is helpful to those in the general public to remember that some physicians used to recommend drilling holes in skulls to treat various mental illnesses. Lowfat diets and the current food pyramid will one day be looked at as the "leeches treatment" of the latter part of the 20th century.

Science will carry the day, most (or maybe all) of us just won't be around to read the final verdict.

Last edited:
Leeches are still used in modern medicine occassionally(and successfully). Perhaps the reason why you hear that clinical physicians don't care for the Atkin's-like approach is because they see results in their patients with the conventional low-fat approach, whereas the researchers don't see patients often, other than their research subjects. Your reference to drilling holes in the skull to treat mental illness in the past doesn't include one important point--IT WORKED! Over time they discovered that lesioning certain areas helped the symptoms(even though it didn't cure) certain mental illnesses. They weren't drilling people's heads just for fun.

Bronco Billy

The Medical Profession is Also Guilty as Hell.....

I recommend reading Taubes' book, as it is in part a synthesis and analysis of the state of current peer reviewed science, which is why it is not easy to read.

You might conclude that Ornish's recommendations have some beneficial results because the diet inadvertently limits carbohydrates and processed foods high in carbs, not because of the underlying scientific validity of his approach or because limiting fat has much scientific in the way of a scientific basis.

Read it and report back.

It is interesting to me on an anecdotal basis that the people most receptive to Taubes' book in the medical field are the more research-oriented, while many people who are very resistant to the concepts read less peer-reviewed literature and were trained in the 70's and 80's. It is helpful to those in the general public to remember that some physicians used to recommend drilling holes in skulls to treat various mental illnesses. Lowfat diets and the current food pyramid will one day be looked at as the "leeches treatment" of the latter part of the 20th century.

Science will carry the day, most (or maybe all) of us just won't be around to read the final verdict.

Isn't it Strange that the One that Protests the Most Bills Him/HerSelf as thefuture37.... When He or She is Truly the Past.... Not Only the Past but the Dark Ages..... The Medical Profession is Also to Blame and Should Surely be Reprimanded.... Since at Last Count only 30% Reject the Food Pyramid and 70% continue to Spread and Widen the Obesity Epidemic..... The Drug Industry is making Billions Drugging and further Injuring the Population "Treating" Maladies that Could Easily be Cured by the Atkin's Diet....... Have a Great Day with Your New Found Information..... :)

Isn't it Strange that the One that Protests the Most Bills Him/HerSelf as thefuture37.... When He or She is Truly the Past.... Not Only the Past but the Dark Ages..... The Medical Profession is Also to Blame and Should Surely be Reprimanded.... Since at Last Count only 30% Reject the Food Pyramid and 70% continue to Spread and Widen the Obesity Epidemic..... The Drug Industry is making Billions Drugging and further Injuring the Population "Treating" Maladies that Could Easily be Cured by the Atkin's Diet....... Have a Great Day with Your New Found Information..... :)

If you want to talk about ironic situations, how about start with how Dr. Atkins himself had a massive heart attack while following his own diet which SUPPOSEDLY decreases risk for heart disease!

Why is everyone afraid to eat fat? Fat doesn't make you fat!!!
The Inuit eat an entirely all meat diet and they do not suffer from the health problems that face most of the western world.

Eat unprocessed whole foods that occur naturally in nature. Fruit, veggies, nuts, seeds, and meat. Do not eat white sugar, use salt, or eat grain.

Natural foods for a natural high.

God good, man bad!

tank

New
Bronco, in order to keep this thread from deteriorating into useless arguments, I recommend everyone ignores and disregards the posts of thefuture37. I imagine that he is anywhere between the ages of 11 to 15 yrs old, and that his only intention is to amuse himself by trying to piss off anyone that he can on the internet.

I wouldn't entertain him further.

Bronco Billy

Cat Trail......

Bronco that is a nice tadpole bent you have.

Thanks.... It's a Brand New Cat Trail...... Haven't even ridden it Yet.... Too Cold.... Been Training on My Nautilus Bent Stationary Bike for 40 Mins(4 Sets of 10 Min) a Day for 4 months....

I weighed 190 when I started and weigh 190 Now..... Taubes is Right about Exercise..... The only way to Loss Weight is Thru Low Carb Diet..... My Food regeme was exactly the same 4 months ago as it is now..... Of course I lost Inches Here and there and am in a Hell of a lot better Shape now than I was 4 months ago..... A Lot of People think the Trikes Some Kind of a Wheel Chair....... That Sucker will go 30 mph on the Flats...... Have a Great Day.....:)

Why is everyone afraid to eat fat? Fat doesn't make you fat!!!
The Inuit eat an entirely all meat diet and they do not suffer from the health problems that face most of the western world.

Eat unprocessed whole foods that occur naturally in nature. Fruit, veggies, nuts, seeds, and meat. Do not eat white sugar, use salt, or eat grain.

Natural foods for a natural high.

God good, man bad!

Modern Inuits that still eat their traditional diet but live like you and me are overweight. The reason Inuits in the past were able to live in good health eating a high fat diet was that they expended tremendous amounts of calories everyday just to stay warm. Eating fat does make you fat in some ways. Fat is more easily stored as fat than carbohydrate is converted to fat. But if you are burning 6000 calories a day, your body will use whatever energy source it has to fuel itself. I agree wtih your take on whole foods except for your inclusion of meat. Farm animals are one of the most manipulated foods that exist. Also not sure why you think its bad to eat grains. Asian peoples have lived for centuries in good health(and without the diseases of the Western world) with a diet primarily focused on grains.

Status
Not open for further replies.