Golf Channel, Thank you very much for the opportunity - Brian Manzella

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
As many of you know, I entered the Golf Channel Instructor Search Contest a few weeks ago.

This was my video submission:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sHgoUYeBcMM?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sHgoUYeBcMM?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

They let the contestants know that they would tell us by October 20th, give or take a day or two, whether or not we made it to the final four.

Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, I wasn't selected.

I simply wasn't good enough to win.

I wasn't polished enough, interesting enough, good looking enough, or marketable enough to be selected.

I plan to work even harder than I have in the past to polish my act, learn to better present myself, and work on my weight and wardrobe, and try again if something similar arises. I'll be first in line if it does.

I want to thank to folks at Golf Channel for giving me the opportunity to compete to do something I have wanted to do since I was 6—have my own TV show.

Congratulations in advance to the four finalists. Your hard work and talent have gotten you to the next stage, give it your all to win the grand prize.

Thanks Again,

Brian Manzella

:)

what a joke.

I wouldn't take them too seriously anyways. They once offered my friend an small ad for his product on their TV for 40gs. Who's gonna pay 40 grand for a small ad on GOLF CHANNEL?

LOL

ZAP

New
Thanks to the stupidity of the golf channel we still have you around here. And writing that book hopefully. Still wish we could have seen your show.

Hmmm, I haven't been contacted yet. How did they get in touch with you Brian?

Sorry to hear it man. You are a tremendous presenter.

now my question is....

Are they going to give all the videos that didn't win to Michael Breed?

I mean that dude probably ran out of material...

It would suck if all of your hard work went to somebody like him

I agree with above Brian, way too much info , brian you would not give someone that much info in one lesson even though you knew they needed all of it . For me your lessons would be great minimal time getting the most problems fixed in one lesson. For someone buying a lesson package you just gave them the whole package in 8 min. Unfortunately sometimes you have to go with the majority to win, get there first then show what you know. On camera be serious , and stick to the area you think the most important, not backswing, downswing, grip, takeaway, good luck Brian,

eoscar

I simply wasn't good enough to win

Brian, like any contest or competition the best doesn't always win.

S

SteveT

Brian, my man ... you need not get so detailed for TGC presentation ... just give them a simple message understood by the golfing masses who will never take a golf lesson in their life. You must get quickly to your point, because you only have seconds to deliver your message on TV. The audience has an extremely short attention span and if you can't explain yourself in 15 seconds, your dead. I suggest you provide simple, convincing 'golf tips' that a TV audience can absorb and retain. TGC is trying to 'sell' golf, not you.

Your voice presentation is excellent, and I like to listen to your mild Louisiana accent ... as opposed to a Texas drawl. However your message is too complex for TGC audiences. That may have frightened off the judges.

Did they give you a critique assessment telling you what they thought of your presentation? Also, do you know which four presenters were selected?

Re: your weight ... if you want to reduce your weight over the next 6 months, I would suggest you eat 4 or 5 small meals per day. This will not only give you the nutrition and energy you need, but it also increases your metabolic rate and you burn off slightly more than your eat. It's a slow process, but it's safe and effective. Watch out for the carbs too ... very little spagett, bread, rice, potatoes and lots of veggies and a reasonable portion of protein. Gradual weight reduction is permanent weight reduction. A regular dose or aerobic training will also help. Have a full medical physical too because chronic diseases are insidious and you should try to head them off before they out of hand.

Last edited:
There is a fine line between too much information and not enough information. It's tough to fill the whole 8 minute segment with information that in reality takes a couple minutes of hands on teaching. Who knows what TGC was looking for anyway. I agree that what Brian presented may have scared them a little because of the "technical" D-plane information. It will be interesting to see who are the finalists.

It's ok something better must be in store Brian. I assume you'd want more independence than I assume you'd have through them anyway.

(hopefully I do not make an ass out of me, and me)

Brian - that's really tough. I liked your video and would be very slow to second-guess how you approached it.

So, when you say:

"I wasn't polished enough, interesting enough, good looking enough, or marketable enough to be selected.

I plan to work even harder than I have in the past to polish my act, learn to better present myself, and work on my weight and wardrobe, and try again"

is that based on feedback from the GC?

If you haven't done so, then I can't think of a better investment of time right now than for you to find a way to speak to someone for 15mins about what the judging panel really thought about your entry. They're not going to do this for every unsuccessful entrant, but if you're enough of a charmer or enough of a nuisance, they will probably do it for you.

Good luck.

I think they look for idiot quality, the kind of show that you can watch in the background while surfing the web and eating twinkies. I don't watch TGC anymore and haven't for years. when they got rid of Peter Kessler and Golf academy live, where real pros from around the country came on and did their thing I stopped watching. I always thought that the 2 best shows ever on GAL were with Todd Sones and Rick Martino. Both guys were never offered a show but Loudmouth empty headed Breed gets one. I think in the end this might be better for you. you will probably go on to fame with books and your own DVDs. Butch Harmon has never had a show on TGC and he is voted tops by his peers every year.
Plus I wouldn't want the average schmo getting his hands on your wisdom and dumb assing it like they do with other instructors. I know you will be famous and highly respected because you already are in my world.
Ric

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Thanks for all the support folks.

But, they were judging somewhat on "amount of knowledge" so I gave 'em some meat to chew on.

None of what you guys said is the reason I didn't get picked.

I wasn't what they were looking for, to start with, & I wasn't good enough to overcome that.

I am losing weight already, and have a bunch of videos to do this fall/winter which will polish me off even more.

My goal is to have a TV show, it doesn't have to be on the golf channel.

Thanks again, Golf Channel.

Next time, make it an open casting call, and get everyone to audition live.

Status
Not open for further replies.