Got to love these PGA articles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Accreditation (ahem- PGA Accreditation) paragraph was terrible.

Cue the Price Is Right losing horn noise...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A[/media]

And the person-sized hook, or boot on the end of a spring.

To their credit they say video should not be relied on too heavily. (though I guess that was only after they, to me, overstated its importance)

Last edited:
agreed kevin; been that way for years. It's a business, always will be. But remember bad teachers create business for good teachers!

The PGA lost its true vision and purpose in my opinion many years ago. It tried to be too politically corrrect and too many things and lost its core purpose. PGA Golf Professionals should be trained to be the best educators of the game number 1, run top notch fun events for the players at their facility so they continue to play and to promote the game of golf. About 20 years ago, the PGA again in my opinion wanted to be 'businessmen" and not golf professionals. Learning how to operated Food and Beverage operations, trying to become golf superintendents, community organizers, aka Barack Obama and on and on. Never becoming adaquately trained in the core basic elements of the "game" of golf. Too many got into the business to play tournament golf and not to promote the game. Too many are phoney and just like to have letters after their name to make them think they know something. By the way I am a PGA card carrying member. I hope the leaders find their way soon to getting back to what makes being a PGA member the top of the golf food chain. That is why I think Brian is on a good track with the GTE program. We need more educational opportunities like that.

DILUTION; it has weakened the core program to the point where the days of the head pro spending quality time with assistants is gone forever. There are very few true "apprenticeships"...

Learning how to operated Food and Beverage operations, trying to become golf superintendents, community organizers, aka Barack Obama and on and on.

I took a short game lesson from Barack Obama. Terrible!

I'm swinging way too far left now...

Pro

New
The PGA lost its true vision and purpose in my opinion many years ago. It tried to be too politically corrrect and too many things and lost its core purpose. PGA Golf Professionals should be trained to be the best educators of the game number 1, run top notch fun events for the players at their facility so they continue to play and to promote the game of golf. About 20 years ago, the PGA again in my opinion wanted to be 'businessmen" and not golf professionals. Learning how to operated Food and Beverage operations, trying to become golf superintendents, community organizers, aka Barack Obama and on and on. Never becoming adaquately trained in the core basic elements of the "game" of golf. Too many got into the business to play tournament golf and not to promote the game. Too many are phoney and just like to have letters after their name to make them think they know something. By the way I am a PGA card carrying member. I hope the leaders find their way soon to getting back to what makes being a PGA member the top of the golf food chain. That is why I think Brian is on a good track with the GTE program. We need more educational opportunities like that.

Bax,

I am a PGA member also and could not agree more with your statement, very well said!!
Let's start a revolution!!!

Todd

That is why I think Brian is on a good track with the GTE program. We need more educational opportunities like that.

I took advantage of the GTE opportunity when I first heard about it on this site and it was the most informative seminar/sharing of ideas event I have ever attended.

Hopefully the priorities of the PGA will shift back towards instruction utilizing unbiased, non-method, science/technology proven information. I don't expect that to happen soon and THAT is a shame!

Matt

We forget...

There are how many lawyers in this world, Doctors??

What percent would you want working on your case or your health? Some are better than others. I don't care how you trained folks, some rise to the top and others suck. It's a natural thing about personal pride.

greenfree

Banned
We forget...

There are how many lawyers in this world, Doctors??

What percent would you want working on your case or your health? Some are better than others. I don't care how you trained folks, some rise to the top and others suck. It's a natural thing about personal pride.

Not exactly a fair comparison, doctors to golf instructors, lawyers to golf instructors, now there's a good comparison :;)

Not exactly a fair comparison, doctors to golf instructors, lawyers to golf instructors, now there's a good comparison :;)

That reminds me of the question......"What do you call someone who finished LAST in their class at Medical School?

Doctor!

Not all Doctors were the class Valedictorian. Nonetheless, most are sufficient but a few could be a little dicey. At least they all had the opportunity to study the correct information and not some unscientific propoganda.

greenfree

Banned
I think Brian means 100 worldwide, not just in the USA.

Now we know a major reason why most people never really improve. The one's that do must do it in spite of all this bad instruction or they got lucky and found one of the few instructors that can help them. :eek:

at the Plummer and Bennett Seminar I attended last week the Philly Section PGA pros and instructors were asked what influenced the initial start of the ball.....

well over 60% said PATH, May have been more was hard to tell by the simple show of hands

More got it right than I thought would. Not saying they truly understand the new ball flight laws, but 40 guys in the room were on the right track.

Status
Not open for further replies.