Hand Controlled Pivot vs. Pivot Controlled Hands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know TGM says hands controlled pivot is superior to pivot controlled hands, but my experience is that I hit the ball much harder with a pivot controlled hands swing. Does anyone else have an opinion?

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
The theory is generally this
- Less throwaway and more power with pivot controlled hands
- More accuracy with hands controlled pivot.

Personally, I like the concept of "pivot powered hands controlled pivot" I always know what my hands should be doing, but my pivot is doing most of the work. A best of both worlds if you will. I think most golfers do not have a good enough pivot to even consider a complete right forearm takeaway hands controlled pivot. Learn to hit the ball with your pivot and monitor your hands. You can always incorporate other ideas when you have those two in place.

Last edited:
That certainly sounds logical. I just know from personal experience I have more power with pivot controlled hands swing. That may not be as precise, but it is more powerful. Thanks for your input!

Erik_K

New
I have found that the golf swing is vastly simplified when the Pivot does the work and I don't focus on my arms and hands. I share Mike Finney's view in that hands are clamps. Their sole job is to hold onto the club.

I don't know why hand controlled pivot gets such a bad rap. Isn't it supposed to be an optimum, something to aim for but not something that can be mastered overnight.

Remember the power source is still the same between the two its what your monitoring is different. So perhaps people who say hands controled pivot adversely affects their power just aren't executing it properly...

I don't know why hand controlled pivot gets such a bad rap. Isn't it supposed to be an optimum, something to aim for but not something that can be mastered overnight.

Remember the power source is still the same between the two its what your monitoring is different. So perhaps people who say hands controled pivot adversely affects their power just aren't executing it properly...

Spot on danny,

It doesn't matter which way you think, both have to work, or react to each other correctly during the swing to balance the outcome...

Take for example, when you are implementing an "easy" swing. What do you think about?....slowing the pivot or slowing the hands?

I guess when I think of hands controlled pivot I think of right forearm pickup to put the hands in the correct position at the Top. However when I think of pivot controlled hands I use Standard Hip Action to start the backswing and to lead the downswing. This allows me to make a bigger turn and create more clubhead speed. So by focussing on Zone 1 I have more power than focussing on Zone 3. Am I missing something?

I guess when I think of hands controlled pivot I think of right forearm pickup to put the hands in the correct position at the Top. However when I think of pivot controlled hands I use Standard Hip Action to start the backswing and to lead the downswing. This allows me to make a bigger turn and create more clubhead speed. So by focussing on Zone 1 I have more power than focussing on Zone 3. Am I missing something?

John, just as an experiment, try this...
Turn to a 3/4 backswing......now push your hands behind your head towards the target as far as you can without reverse pivoting...

Notice something?...by pushing your hands (or commanding yourself to "push your hands") that made your shoulders turn more (without any shoulder or lower body thoughts)...

:D :D

Yes you are missing something. Hands controlled pivot doesn't mean you need to use the right forearm to drag the pivot back that's just ONE way of doing it.

Theres absolutely no reason you can't have a hand controlled pivot using a standard hip action. You just need to train the pivot to and extent that you do not have to think about it, just like you would learn to do anything else. You can then turn your mind to your hands without it disintegrating.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Ok, here's the REALLLLLLLLLL DIFFERENCE:

Pivot Controlled Hands:

The pivot will do EVERYTHING for you. As long as you pivot correctly the hands will end up where they need to be, the face will square up on it's own, arms will do what you need them to do, ETC. Essentially you don't need to think about your hands AT ALL.

Hand Controlled Pivot:

You are thinking IN YOUR MIND what your hands will have to do on that specific shot. Where they are going to aim, where you are going to position them to swing on what plane you want, controlling the hinge through the shot, ETC. THEN you use the PIVOT to accomplish that.

THAT'S IT.

There are certain people who have made others believe that hands controlled pivot is really something it isn't and has caused a whole lot of mass confusion when there shouldn't be.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
So sorry....

No it won't bts, not the way I mean (check james Braid's corkscrew or MAs throw for reference.. Only one thing controls that)....,,,,,

You are 100% dead wrong.

BTS, you are 100%$ dead RIGHT.

next.

(And BTW, Jim's post above is HALLoFAME stuff.)

Status
Not open for further replies.