Hands too far forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this is the best comparison. Faxon fell off a balance ball this winter and needs his knee scoped. He opted for physical therapy, but I don't think he is firing on all cylinders. They are both about the same height and weight, however, Faxon is eight years older and just has never appeared to me to be a real atheletic specimen, when compared to Goosen. In fact if it were not for the way Faxon wields the flat stick? I do like the idea of comparing your swing pics head-to-head.That could spark alot of debate and hours of fun.

I'm certain that its possible to overdo anything.The down side to hands too forward would probably cause a lack of optimal clubhead speed and face open down the line, chicken winging. To name a few. The majority of the golfing public hit/swing at the ball, not through the ball. In my opinion.

Interesting topic!!

Weiskopf was another long hitter that was similar looking at impact, as I recall, to Goosen. However, Evan Williams, Els, and other long hitters have the maximum trigger delay and forward lean.

The guys that have unusual amounts of forward lean and maximum trigger delay that I have seen, usually also have a dramatic lowering of the head on the downswing. There are exceptions, of course, like O'Grady, who came up.

There are obviously other factors at work to produce long, straight driving other than forward lean and maximum trigger delay... plane, rhythm, effective pivot, etc..
One theory I have also heard is that the long drivers are geting their entire body mass into the ball, and the shorter hittters are just getting the weight of their arms into it.

Red Goat... do you have any pictures of Big Cat Williams?

matt

New
There are pictures of Homer teaching, and he didn't appear to be teaching maximum trigger delay.

That picture of Goosen reminds me of the Doyle swing video Brian posted...shortening the left arm radius. Not good.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Yes, Goosen has some leakage and FAXON swings WAY TO FAR to the right and always had poor clubface control.

Give Ben a break, matt. He is 72 years old this year.

Brian,

I agree with you about Faxon. Way too far to the right with poor clubface control...

This sounds like nearly every good player who strives for more trigger delay and hands further forward.

The result: Too much tilt, blocks and hooks, wrist injuries and bad backs.

Personal experience is included in this post.

BTW, Goosen's "leakage" is 9th in total driving and 17th in GIR.

Redgoat

EdZ

New
Redgoat, would you put Billy Andrade in the same boat as Faxon? It's been a while since I've seen pics, but I recall seeing a pic a while back that looks a lot like Faxon's post impact pic... looked like a big block move to me

EdZ

New
Looks like 'block' is the order of the day.... He's going to need some work on his back if he keeps swinging like that.

They may be the same height and weight- I don't know, but look as Goosen's forearms. That is one athletic dude and Faxon's a dweeb. Sometimes you have to look at chromosomes, not just swing mechanics.

bts

New
It looks like Goosen has 180/12 times of Faxon's "LAG" regardless of their difference in "geometry".

I am a little confused.

Leadbetter, Harmon, McClean, etc. all teach garbage.
Els looks silly, Faldo and O'Meara hit it like girls and Goosen has leakage. (Although they collectively have 12 Majors)

So I post a picture of a guy with Maximum trigger delay,(see Brian's picture at the top of the page) and hands way forward at impact (in fact two pictures if you include Andrade with Faxon) and all of a sudden it is body type that makes the difference (don't let Jeff Sluman or Fred Funk hear that). Body type help you hit it longer and STRAIGHTER?

Then, Brian says Faxon swings way too far to the right which I agree with but why? Is it the attempt to get maximum delay and hands forward that increases tilt and causes the club to fall too far under? Can't this cause wrist and back injuries? Is this a common pitfal of good players trying to get more delay and hands further forward? Is there an actual benefit to ballstriking to max this out?

My point is this, maybe it is possible to play great golf without maximum delay. Maybe your hands don't have to be way forward and the right shoulder doesn't have to be on the ground to play great golf.
Maybe it has more to do with face and path and less to do with lag and compression. Maybe not, but it sure seems that the most successful players in terms of stats and victories don't look like the model many are trying to emulate.

Redgoat

Yes. Body type surely can make you hit it longer AND straighter. No matter how perfect our swings are, none of us will never hit a baseball like Mark McGwire. As far as accuracy, some guys just have that special something coded in their genes that makes them extraordinary. We all grew up with that one guy in highschool that was a step above the other athletes and didn't work as much. Hard work and determination get you real far, but good genes added to that makes you superb.

Archie

I can't hit the ball far enough unless I use a max trigger delay, max lag, automatic snap release. There are lag leakers who can though, and more power to them(pun intended).

Status
Not open for further replies.