Hinge Action, Rate of Closure, and what you SHOULD do with the clubface (p9 pic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
greg in tempe - ROC theory has been discussed - it just hasn't gone your way - mostly because your buddy's research is based on casio line drawing and personal testimonials that sound like infomercials....

judging by the activity on other sites, this may be the only place where it will be discussed in the near future...

natep and others,

soon we will be visiting fujikura for a day of learning - i'm hopeful that we will have some closure on closure - not just guesses

Let's see if ANYONE gets the point I am trying to make with this pic.....

That many may assume there is a large clubhead closure rate difference between these two players, but the actual measurements (with an accurate measurement device) may prove otherwise.....especially through the impact zone?

.....and furthermore, if there is a difference, it might be the opposite of what people think because of clubhead speed differences and the fact that the measurements are deg/sec.

Last edited:
You mean like this stall and roll that Dustin CLEARLY has, judging by my highly exaustive analysis of eyeballing up this clip.

Trying to be objective here - a few things stand out for me from this thread.

1. The AMM data that Art posted seems pretty compelling evidence that tour players exhibit quite a wide variation in the rate of rotation of the grip end of the club through impact.

The variation seems wider than many folk seem comfortable with admitting - although I'd be the first to admit that nobody has posted any evidence showing that a lower rate of rotation equates to a ballstriking advantage.

2. DJ, in the above video, looks to have his clubface way more closed at last parallel before impact than Brian reckons is orthodox (post 110). And way more closed than the lines Brian drew in his DJ/Fowler comparison.

3. Based on the above, DJ looks like the poster boy to show a low rate of closure between last parallel and impact.

4. But DJ's ballstriking stats don't seem that outstanding - especially if you try and discount the advantage that his clubhead speed must give him.

Just musing here...does that kind (DJ's) half-shut position at last parallel tend towards a very laggy, forward shaft leaning impact position? And is that necessarily a ballstriking advantage over someone like Westwood?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
1. Art's numbers were clearly NOT the right numbers. He was unclear as well. That's why he put the (???)

Do these yahoos realize how many different sets of 3D numbers we've looked at in the last year??? None, zero, zilch, nada groups of numbers are that far apart in the PGA TOUR PLAYER group.

2. Who cares what the heck DJ looks like in THAT video, bad camera angle. The point is by the 45° point (saying that impact is zero, and level is 90°) he and a lot of guys look somewhat the same clubface wise.

3.Yeah, if his ENSO-pro numbers blow up the theory, then what?

4. Yup.

1. Art's numbers were clearly NOT the right numbers. He was unclear as well. That's why he put the (???)

Do these yahoos realize how many different sets of 3D numbers we've looked at in the last year??? None, zero, zilch, nada groups of numbers are that far apart in the PGA TOUR PLAYER group.

Not talking about "Art's numbers." Talking about the published AMM numbers. From a pretty extensive sample size.

2. Who cares what the heck DJ looks like in THAT video, bad camera angle. The point is by the 45° point (saying that impact is zero, and level is 90°) he and a lot of guys look somewhat the same clubface wise.

I don't know what's wrong with that camera angle or how it distorts the observation I made. You KNOW who cares...I'm just trying to make sense of both sides of the debate. Starting point is that DJ looks way more closed at that point than others. Not saying that makes him representative, orthodox, middle of the road or indeed better than anyone else. Just more closed at that point, and not THAT closed at impact. IMO, the debate should go from there - not a discussion of whether video is reliable etc etc

That's life. I'm ready...

Sure. I've consistently argued that this stuff needs to tie in more closely with real world ball-striking performance. Glad we agree on that much.

Dariusz J.

[...] if his ENSO-pro numbers blow up the theory, then what?

...then we will need to agree that the impact of RoC is not that big as it appears to be.

However, we need to know how objective are the tests (with all due respect, Manzella Instruction is not an objective source here taking into account their negative attitude towards the theory), what players took part in it and, again, if machines do not concentrate on the moment of impact only unless all measured strikes are dead center on the face.

Cheers

Dariusz J.

Trying to be objective here - a few things stand out for me from this thread.

1. The AMM data that Art posted seems pretty compelling evidence that tour players exhibit quite a wide variation in the rate of rotation of the grip end of the club through impact.

The variation seems wider than many folk seem comfortable with admitting - although I'd be the first to admit that nobody has posted any evidence showing that a lower rate of rotation equates to a ballstriking advantage.

2. DJ, in the above video, looks to have his clubface way more closed at last parallel before impact than Brian reckons is orthodox (post 110). And way more closed than the lines Brian drew in his DJ/Fowler comparison.

3. Based on the above, DJ looks like the poster boy to show a low rate of closure between last parallel and impact.

4. But DJ's ballstriking stats don't seem that outstanding - especially if you try and discount the advantage that his clubhead speed must give him.

Just musing here...does that kind (DJ's) half-shut position at last parallel tend towards a very laggy, forward shaft leaning impact position? And is that necessarily a ballstriking advantage over someone like Westwood?

A good and objective post.

As regards Westwood -- it is no odd because he's one of the very few tour players nowadays who use release close to slap-hinge model which is hell more accurate than crossover release.

Cheers

art

New

4. Yup.

Dear Brian, AND EVERYONE ELSE THAT LIKE ME, ANXIOUSLY OPENS THIS STRING OF POSTS TO SEE WHAT IS NEW,

I will present little to no data here so some of you may want to hit the 'skip' button NOW BUT, please hold on,

I live in Pacific Palisades California (so what ??), a town built around and originally dedicated to almost every possible religion; a real church town.

For many years as the leader of the parish council, I was called upon to participate in discussions/debates on local issues that were of interest to many and sometimes all of the churches in town. While this to an athlete like all of you on this site, and wanting to WIN anything that might negatively impact OUR church, AND the clear understanding that I had a responsibility to the clergy AND the parishioners, I soon realized what I believe we need to do to address this ROC debate we are having.

I believe strongly that we need to recognize that from all the opinions that I have read, we have much more in common than we have the form of differences. For instance, since there are more than 2 sides to this issue, would anyone disagree that in golf terms, the face of the club is OPEN at the top of the back swing? What about when the club is in the down swing and vertical? Clearly we all agree it must be square at impact, so I think we can ALL agree, it was ‘closing during the early part of the downswing, and therefore, in technical terms, ‘alpha was increasing’ Everybody OK to here??

Oh, but did it start to open during the pre-impact time frame?? NO AGREEMENT HERE FROM WHAT I READ But, if it did, we MUST agree that at some point, ‘alpha’ started to decelerate but if so, there had to be a negative alpha torque, so let’s at least review the available DATA NOT THE AVAILABLE OPINIONS TO BE ABLE TO OBJECTIVELY ASSESS THIS DIFFERENCE.

Last, it feels foolish to bring up, but I want to go on record as saying that ROC as defined ONLY AT IMPACT will vary greatly from golfer to golfer, club to club, and swing to swing, so get ready for the need to conduct a whole lot of expensive ENSO testing to try to please everyone.

As my wonderful New York Jewish friends would say, “Art, enough already” so I will honor that now.

My bottom line is that ‘art’, (that would be me), presented on this string (#104), one number I believe was WRONG, NOT AN ENTIRE PIECE OF WRONG ANALYSIS, OR ADDITIONAL DATA FROM AN OBSOLETE PIECE OF HIGH QUALITY INSTRUMENTATION. So for the one wrong piece of data I have already apologized, but for the usefulness of the TPI/AMM system to provide ME, and I hope US both useful trend analyses and working data as we continue to seek ‘golf truth’ this system is IMO very, very worthwhile , (or Michael Jacobs just wasted a lot of hard earned money).

So, I have just spent many more hours reviewing the ‘avatar’ and tabular data from 3 swings of 3 different golfers on the demonstration software. (IMO, if anyone reading this has NOT down loaded and reviewed this free software, and they comment on this subject, they are doing themselves, and the rest of us a disservice by missing the opportunity to understand, AND see what is really happening during a golf swing ). For instance, the 240 cycles per second often quoted, is JUST THE DATA SAMPLING AND PRESENTATION RATE. See your local qualified engineering dynamics expert for a full explanation of the differences AND REAL LIMITATIONS OF THE FREQUENCY RESPONSE OF A SYSTEM.

IMO, the review of the continuous characteristics of the body joint parameters affecting ROC even if beyond the 240 cycles per second data rate, any decelerations or reversals in ‘alpha’ would still be very visible..

All I will say here is when you actually SEE how the parameters affecting ROC are changing during the downswing, you will be able to at least discuss it intelligently with others who have taken the time to also understand the REAL VALUE of the ‘CONTINUOUS DATA, NOT JUST THE VALUES AT PARALLEL, OR IMPACT.

So, in summary, I now, because of the value to me of this controversy, am not finished, I am just starting. The ENSO system as I am sure you realize has 3 partners, Fujikara, Vicon, and Bentley 3. I live about 10 miles from Vicon, and a longer but beautiful coastline drive from home to Bentley. I plan on visiting both of these facilities/folks certainly within a month, and will double up at TPI which is very close to Mike Bentleys facility. If a full ENSO system is not available at these places, Fujikura has a facility in Vista California, which will definitely replace my side trip to TPI if necessary.

My interest is certainly not just ROC as these wonderful pieces of equipment can, and I hope will be used to unlock much of the golf learning ‘constipation’ regarding the true dynamic, not just video and ‘feel-based’ interactions that have been driving the teaching progress, but also the regress in some cases.

Stay tuned, and if you can, please help and if appropriate, endorse me if you have relationships with these people/companies; I am REALLY, AND ONLY SEEKING GOLF TRUTH, not for just me, but for all of us, and for all golfers.

Thanks for listening/reading,
art

dbl

New
Rewrite with gamma not alpha, and I'd appreciate it. Thanks. Also, the closing might well be due the torque you mentioned, but it makes me think of some other possible method and I don't think your intent was to isolate the cause of closing.

art

New
Rewrite with gamma not alpha, and I'd appreciate it. Thanks. Also, the closing might well be due the torque you mentioned, but it makes me think of some other possible method and I don't think your intent was to isolate the cause of closing.

Dear dbl,

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT, in every case, I meant 'gamma', and THANK YOU for finding that CRITICAL mistake.

Another strike for these terrible shingles, which now after 8 weeks and UCLA medical attention have me on the dreaded Vicodin every 3 hours.

Sincerely and very appreciatively,
art

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I asked our good friend Paul Wood at Ping this two part question: "A: Does the face OPEN at, during, or after impact when the CoG passes perfectly through the ball (a so-called "sweetspot" hit)? B: Or does it close about like the ENSO (clubface rotation) number at impact, but is slowed slightly, or not slowed at all?

His response: "
We see more of a delay in the closing rather than a big opening. On high speed video footage you can actually see in the pictures that the head seems to almost stop closing just for a split second, and then carry on closing. In reality I think we’re confident it’s more of a slight slowing of the closing rather than a stop. For a big heel shot you can see a big acceleration in the closing and for a big toe shot you see the head actually start opening quite a bit, but a center hit looks as I described first"…..That ought to put to bed the silly notion about "sweetspot contact" opening the face….And btw, when he says "high speed video" he is not talking about a $600 Casio.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Ok...a little recap....

A: The clubface DOES NOT OPEN on a centered strike.

B: The golfer CAN NOT open the face after closing it pre-impact and the stretch-shorten cycle hypothesis has been shown to not be correct.

C: When a golfer of any caliber hits a ball with a matching face and path, and the camera is 90°-ish to that path, about 3 golf balls pre-impact the face and path APPEAR do be doing very little, but ENSO-pro is measuring somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000°-3000° per second clubface closure at that point in the swing.

D: Some PGA Tour players have the face less open between "last parallel and the three-golf ball area" than other PGA Tour players.

And...

E: It is still unclear how much less rate of closure right before and at impact the "face less open group" would have over the "face more open group" and if there is any advantage in control or repeatability to either.

Status
Not open for further replies.