Hitting It Good Lately...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Making a right arm only swing—one that at least looks golf-like and can hit the ground in the correct place—is something VERY HARD to do incorrectly.

Not hitting a ball that way, just a practice swing.

If you can get yourself or your student to make a two handed swing like a right arm only swing, you will be very happy.

Right arm only has become part of my warm-up. Hit balls too and it reminds me how much distance is available to a well timed release of the right arm, only.

Officially the kiss of death. Played a tournament this weekend. Played like a Jerry's kid. Pitiful.

We all have 5 swings...

1. Practice swing
2. Range swing
3. Playing with buddies swing
4. Tournament swing
5. Back 9 in contention swing

... easiest to hardest.

The last two take time, and even then, no one is immune from a little telethon play from time-to-time. Chin up!

If you need to feel better about your game, I'll send you the summary of my final round today. :mad::rolleyes:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I have told this story 100 times minimum lately....

Let's say Jared (just an example) looked enough like Cary Middlecoff (just an example) to play him in a small part in a movie.

They paid me and Jared 50k each to get 'er done, and make him look like and hit it a least close to Dr. Cary.

NO DOUBT IN A MILLION YEARS we could pull it off. And I'd BET HALF OF MY FEE he would hit it BETTER swinging like Middlecoff.

Doesn't mean that's the best way for Jared to play competitive golf.

Or like DT said once famously (and has repeated 10000 tomes since)...

"Looks good on video...."

Been struggling with the lefts for the past month. Talking can't get a 3 wood off the ground left. My irons were all bent super upright, 4 degrees I believe. I would hit them solid as could be with what felt like a square, straight shot, center face contact, and the ball would just go left. Could not cut an iron for the life of me. Could not punch without it going like I yanked it. I felt like I had to work right under to get it to go straight, and the feeling seeped into my other clubs and really screwed me over for this whole time. Had them bent back to standard. Voila, line it up, rotate coupling point, pure contact and it goes straight as an arrow right on target. Everything is great. Thanks to this site.

I'm constantly amazed at how many people of average height have clubs that are 4 degrees upright. As far as lie is concerned, I'm more and more convinced that most players should be static fit.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Warmed up like a stud both days too. Every shot. From wedge to driver. People were talking.

Ranger effing Rick. Hit it off the tee great. Everything else, telethon material. Quick, spinny, left.

3 weeks ago I bent my sh!t to 62 degrees PW progressing sequentially on down (1/4 inch long) and I'm 6'3 with gator arms. They were 3 degrees more upright than they are today and I am hitting it very straight as well

As a fellow underturner "when it matters", I have a theory.

Have you ever had a semi-restricted backswing (maybe your club will just miss a branch after 30 rehearsals) but your actual swing hits the branch?

I'm convinced that that phenomenon is directly related to under turning.

You don't see many good players get "too narrow" at the top.

At what part of the round do you guys feel you start to underturn? Early? Mid? Late?

I find myself starting to do it around the 11, 12, 13 or 14th hole. Is it mental lazyness? I thought it was because I was getting tired or worn out but it happens when I walk or ride at some point in pretty much every round. It can become a real nusance if I don't identify it quickly and nip it in the bud.

I'm hitting it good. No grumbles, just things to practice when I can...

I'm hitting loads of fairways, 60% plus greens and my hard work on my short game is showing up in my play.

I'm not hunting the latest fad or gadget, just enjoying reading about the game and the swing knowing there is no "one way"

It's nice to see a thread that's not an argument or ego contest.

Anyone else playing good?

Thank you to Brian and all the guys. I have learnt a lot over the years here, the main one being that "for me" TGM and the way I thought of it was the worst thing that ever happened to my game.

That and spotting that there is no "one" way....

I am playing like sh!t but my range sessions have been REALLY good. Kevin's "wipe the table" idea has helped me immensely.
Good to hear guys are playing so well.

Status
Not open for further replies.