Hogan and Project 1.68

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does project 1.68 shed any light on what Hogan was doing in his swing; his intent vs. what we see in video?

Seems there are a lot of theories about what Hogan's secret was. Can science tell us more or clarify?

S

SteveT

Hogan was a short golfer with a flat swing. Let's remember that he came out of the hickory-shafted days, and had to masochistically practice to bring the new steel-shafted clubs under control. The guy was a hooking-machine before he finally figured out what worked for him, and worked well. Maybe it had something to do with his car accident.

Rather than practicing golf archeology, we should be looking forward to future gifts from science and using our current hi-tech equipment to the max. Of course curiosity about the past will always haunt us. I don't think we should look for answers from the late and great golfers of the past; instead let us look forward to the scientific answers about golf as played today.

Hogan was a short golfer with a flat swing. Let's remember that he came out of the hickory-shafted days, and had to masochistically practice to bring the new steel-shafted clubs under control. The guy was a hooking-machine before he finally figured out what worked for him, and worked well. Maybe it had something to do with his car accident.

Rather than practicing golf archeology, we should be looking forward to future gifts from science and using our current hi-tech equipment to the max. Of course curiosity about the past will always haunt us. I don't think we should look for answers from the late and great golfers of the past; instead let us look forward to the scientific answers about golf as played today.

Watching old videos of Hogan's swing is a gift I'll always cherish. I'm always stoked when I see a new one pop up on youtube I hadn't seen before.

S

SteveT

Watching old videos of Hogan's swing is a gift I'll always cherish. I'm always stoked when I see a new one pop up on youtube I hadn't seen before.

You must be suffering from golfswing necrophilia ... ;)

Lest not we forget, if we don't know our history we are doomed to repeat ourselves.

As if Hogan had no idea how to hit a golf ball.

Call it a hunch, but you're not going to see average scores dropping and tee shots going 100 yards further just because we've got fancy computers. You're going to have people be able to hit the ball better, theoretically, fine. But there's much more to this game than having a good golf swing.

And I am reasonably sure Hogan laid out everything he thought you ought to know in Five Lessons. That's how Tiger learned, right?

Vardon's swing was home made. Jones' swing was home made. Snead's swing was home made. Nelson's swing was home made. Hogan's swing was home made. Nicklaus' swing was home made. Palmer's swing was home made. Trevino's swing was home made. They didn't even have televisions.

Shall I continue?

Why would anyone want to emulate a golfer that was renowned for his ballstriking consistency Steve?
I don't know why you have it in for Hogan but not all of us out here dislike the swings of golf history and legend. I think if you watch where the handle points Hogan ties in well with a lot of whats been brought to light around here.
Don't hate bro.

S

SteveT

You're no Hogan and your fantasies only serve your feelings... and stop hatemongering.

S

SteveT

Hogan is deceased and 5 Lessons is riddled with flaws... so let them both R.I.P. ... same with Homer and TGM.

S

SteveT

Vardon's swing was home made. Jones' swing was home made. Snead's swing was home made. Nelson's swing was home made. Hogan's swing was home made. Nicklaus' swing was home made. Palmer's swing was home made. Trevino's swing was home made. They didn't even have televisions.

Shall I continue?

Yes... but most of them had mentors from a young age who guided their swing development. Okay, Trevino didn't and had a screwgie swing that worked for him.

New, young golfers coming out of college programs have been scientifically trained and they are now taking over the top rankings on the Tour. Tiger, Mickelson, others of that era have been virtually wiped off the leader boards by these new, younger golf tigers.

Science wins ... believe it.

I suppose you have some sort of evidence that these kids have been "scientifically trained", or is that more of a feeling, hmmm?

By the way, Mickelson is #12 in the world. I wouldn't exactly call that being wiped off the leader board. Young 20 something players rising in the rankings over aging 40 something players? This surely has never happened before in tournament golf.

footwedge

Yes... but most of them had mentors from a young age who guided their swing development. Okay, Trevino didn't and had a screwgie swing that worked for him.

New, young golfers coming out of college programs have been scientifically trained and they are now taking over the top rankings on the Tour. Tiger, Mickelson, others of that era have been virtually wiped off the leader boards by these new, younger golf tigers.

Can Trevino defy the science? If not then his swing is in compliance and valid.

TeeAce

Once said: There is two kind of guys on Tour. Those who didn't listen the advices and those who understood those wrong advices right way wrong.

I think science is changing that, as well it has already changed many of the advices given.

Guided their swing development how? Right, using scientifically tested methods like holding a big wad of their pupil's hair until they hit the ball without moving their head all over the place. Teaching them the few fundamentals there really are in the golf swing. A mirror or a shadow and thousands of buckets of balls worked just fine for those guys.

As far as the longevity of these new kids on tour...we'll see about that. Rory will take the top spot, for sure, some time down the road. The rest of the pack...hummmm...

Last edited:

ej20

New
Golf science is still relatively new to the pro circuit.Even the young generation of pros would not have been exposed to golf science much during their developmental years.Project 1.68 has not even been released yet so it's influence won't be seen for another 20 years at least.

PeterP

Banned

Hogan won over 30 tournaments the three years BEFORE the accident. He stopped hooking in 1946 and explained to everyone why in 1955.

Right. Bubba Watson, scientifically trained. Your on crack, Professor.

Status
Not open for further replies.