Ideas about The Release - a video by Brian Manzella (comments/reviews)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kevin, Mgranato, Wulsy and Oliver, I really appreciate the feedback. But I can't help feeling that I'd hit the ball much more powerfully and consistently if I looked more like (I know I'll never fully get there) the pro's at impact. Being flat-footed has got to mean that I'm not getting my right side fully into the shot, doesn't it?

Kevin, you mentioned that with my swing if the right elbow led I'd never swing again. Can you explain why? Frankly, I'm willing to change my entire swing if I could get my hands and right elbow to move toward the target line (while the club lays back) to start the downswing instead of back and down -- 100% of the players swings that I really like have that kind of downswing start. I blame the years of trying to swing inside out as all the instruction advised when I first started playing. Is it because I'm crossing the line? Taking the club back too flat? Shoulder plane too steep?

The "new" release seems to have helped the right elbow be less stuck behind me than it used to, which has already improved my ball-striking (thanks, Brian and Michael). I'm not sure why the change in release is having that effect, but it's got me (or my right elbow) started on a path that I now want to pursue.

Thank you.

If I hit one really solid I fly it about 240 with a range ball. There's a 250 flag at the range that is my goal -- never have flown it. I'm not trying to copy a particular pro's swing, but just trying to approach the look that 95% of the pro's have at impact -- slightly bent right elbow, right knee kicked in, right heel slightly off the ground, long left side, head back and down. The fact that I'm nowhere close to that and can't seem to get there tells me I have a big swing flaw.
I was hoping you'd have figured it out on the course with a real ball, but I'd still say that's more like 100 mph, maybe a bit north of that.

Kinematics vs kinetics...

Unfortunately, I only get to play about once a month so I haven't been able to test out the new swing on the course yet. I'm pretty much a range rat because I can go there after work. I'm hitting it on the range about 10 yards further than my old swing, so not sure how it will translate to a real golf ball. I used to fly a really pure hit on the course with a real ball about 240 as well -- hoping that has improved commensurately with my range striking. Thanks for your reply, though. I'm not sure what you mean by kinematics versus kinetics.

Also, I'm curious if you have the SS radar. Today it was giving me speed numbers with my 3-wood that were all way higher than my driver. That can't be right, can it?

66er

New
Massive tugger here, working hard, but cant hit balls right now. Please tell me after putting tangential force at the top, should it feel as though you are applying no force on the club until the left arm is parrellel to the ground? Is this how not tugging feels? Would love an answer.

Also, I'm curious if you have the SS radar. Today it was giving me speed numbers with my 3-wood that were all way higher than my driver. That can't be right, can it?

i talked to the guy who makes the SS radar at the PGA show last week. he said if you put it too far in front of the ball, it will give you a ball speed reading and not clubhead. he recommended placing it directly opposite the ball at a 45 degree angle. i think those units show high-ish numbers anyway.

66er

New
Could someone please clear this up for me, re-watching ideas so I have it clear for my return to fitness. Massive tugger here, after putting tangential force with an out-toss at the top, is it correct to feel as though you are apply no force on the club until the time to pour on the force comes. Is this what not tugging feels like?

Is a correct feel just not to apply force with the lead arm towards the ball at all or is it strictly dont tug with the body?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Could someone please clear this up for me, re-watching ideas so I have it clear for my return to fitness. Massive tugger here, after putting tangential force with an out-toss at the top, is it correct to feel as though you are apply no force on the club until the time to pour on the force comes. Is this what not tugging feels like?

Is a correct feel just not to apply force with the lead arm towards the ball at all or is it strictly dont tug with the body?

An out toss move does not put tangential force on the club, only allows the shaft to recover from its bend at the top. You then put a pulling force in the direction of the club for some time in the downswing until its time to get behind the shaft and really put some oomph on the clubhead.

Question about release and hitting down slightly:

In another thread Brian posted a picture of he left wrist condition from top of the swing through impact with the release. The image showed the left wrist going from cocked to flattening before impact to arched at impact and then to the bent spiderman release.

I think I conceptually understand the release. I understand how I could have a flat left wrist hitting slightly down while lining the club up. But I don't understand how one can have an arched left wrist at impact if releasing from the top. Arched seems like I would be taking my wrist in the wrong direction if I'm trying to flick and get to spiderman. Can any one enlighten me? Thanks

Kevin, Mgranato, Wulsy and Oliver, I really appreciate the feedback. But I can't help feeling that I'd hit the ball much more powerfully and consistently if I looked more like (I know I'll never fully get there) the pro's at impact. Being flat-footed has got to mean that I'm not getting my right side fully into the shot, doesn't it?

Socalesq, Just a thought but as a lefty playing righty you are probably right leg dominant and your body's internal sense of good balance wants that dominant leg supporting you longer than the style you desire requires. No doubt you can train into the style you desire but
my vote goes to what your internal sense of balance is telling you now because that is a beautiful silky swing. I hear you though; if you have a dream go for it!!

Question about release and hitting down slightly:

In another thread Brian posted a picture of he left wrist condition from top of the swing through impact with the release. The image showed the left wrist going from cocked to flattening before impact to arched at impact and then to the bent spiderman release.

I think I conceptually understand the release. I understand how I could have a flat left wrist hitting slightly down while lining the club up. But I don't understand how one can have an arched left wrist at impact if releasing from the top. Arched seems like I would be taking my wrist in the wrong direction if I'm trying to flick and get to spiderman. Can any one enlighten me? Thanks

This is just my perspective on the release...

1st and possibly foremost. Don't think in terms of hitting down. Deloft the clubface and strive for a level hit. To achieve this you will want to be pulling the hands (and radius) up through impact.
Your left wrist will probably be arched to get into this pulling up position. That detail is not as significant IMO as whether or not your right wrist is in the process of straightening (pouring on power, releasing, behaving naturally) in an unrestricted fashion.
If you do all of this (wo spiderman finish) there is a chance you will close the face too soon and hit a sweet sounding, sweet feeling, nasty looking hook. The spiderman finish keeps the face and path MUCH closer to square MUCH longer so that you can swing and release harder without having to worry as much about sacrificing accuracy.

Every day unless I get home after 9. Noise ordinance. I was actually gonna go use it right before I saw this. Now I am.

I really don't know if there is anything else that teaches you when and how to release the hands like it does.

Last edited:

hp12c

New
Every day unless I get home after 9. Noise ordinance. I was actually gonna go use it right before I saw this. Now I am.

I really don't know if there is anything else that teaches you when and how to release the hands like it does.

what setting do you use?

Depends how alert I am and how much energy I have, or what I'm working on. Usually 2 or 3 once things are going well. I'll do 1 if I'm trying to max it out and maintain balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.