Is Augusta—set up for The Masters—a good test of golf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I thought I made some really good points.

They were tossed aside.

Here are the facts: All golfer courses are different, and each day on each course if different. The truly best players can win on ANY of them.

Personally I think rough is a joke.

I grew up at wonderful place with 81 holes and ZERO rough.

No skill in deep rough. Just brute strength.

I never could understand a public golf course having high rough. They lose money 2 ways. 1. People have less fun and play less, or somewhere else. 2. Play is slower and less people can play. Cut the rough! Players errant tee shots on a good course will be penalized by bunkers, trees, uneven lies and poor angles into the greens.

Dariusz J.

You name two guys....what did the winner shoot at the Canadian open? And how bout middle of the pack guys in Hogans era. They might not have finished. This obsession of yours is just so weird. You have no experience at all, I don't understand why you take these positions. You show a few guys struggle and try to make a point. The idea that Snead and Hogan would destroy this course is based on absolutely nothing. Maybe they would, maybe they wouldn't. When the course was almost unplayable at Pebble in 2000, do you really think anyone would've shot 12 under?

Call it obsession, whatever. I have my opinion based on strong evidence that the best ballstrikers could handle such a tough course better than anyone. I have my evidence that the vast majority of today's players can have lots of problems and humiliations on such course as presented from The Canadian Open. That's the truth.

Here are the facts: All golfer courses are different, and each day on each course if different. The truly best players can win on ANY of them.

I agree 100%. But there should be chances given for any kind of players and not only one type of players.

And I personally think that lack of rough is a joke.

I never could understand a public golf course having high rough. They lose money 2 ways. 1. People have less fun and play less, or somewhere else. 2. Play is slower and less people can play. Cut the rough! Players errant tee shots on a good course will be penalized by bunkers, trees, uneven lies and poor angles into the greens.

True. But I've already explained why I did grow up as a golfer in such conditions. When I played for the first time on an easy course I claimed how easy this sport is. Yes.

Cheers

I would've lost soooo much money betting on the over/under of the life span of this topic.

Last edited:
I would've lost soooo much money betting on the over/under of the life span of this topic.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous, of course, is to never get involved in a land war in Asia. But only slightly less well know is never bet the under when Dariuz's opinion can be somehow woven into the threads fabric!

"I've spent the last few years developing an immunity to iocane powder."

Dariusz J.

But only slightly less well know is never bet the under when Dariuz's opinion can be somehow woven into the threads fabric!

Beware then ! One of my Grandpas, My Dad and myself have been linked all our business careers with textile industry. We know how to spin, weave, dye and even steam, if needed. ;)

Cheers

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous, of course, is to never get involved in a land war in Asia. But only slightly less well know is never bet the under when Dariuz's opinion can be somehow woven into the threads fabric!

"Inconceivable!"

Dariusz: I have no professional golf experience whatsoever, but, you're no match for my brains.

Golf Professional: You're that smart?

Dariusz: Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?

Golf Professional: Yes.

Dariusz: Morons.

Did anyone read post #159? Certifiable.

Dariusz J.

Dariusz: I have no professional golf experience whatsoever, but, you're no match for my brains.

Golf Professional: You're that smart?

Dariusz: Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?

Golf Professional: Yes.

Dariusz: Morons.

ROFL. This one will be more amusing:

Dariusz: Do you know what your mistakes in reasoning are ?

Golf Professional: No. Golf Professionals make no mistakes.

Dariusz: Can you prove it ?

Golf Professional: Move your fat ass and find proves because I am too important not to be lazy here.

Dariusz: Moron.

ROFL.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.