K-Vest and Flightscope: An Awesome Learning Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Last week, I had the opportunity to practice with mgranato and he graciously put me through the paces with flightscope and K-Vest.

The results have been eye opening for me, to say the least. I have been on Trackman a few times before and felt like I had a good handle on path and face. We started hitting balls and immediately got on the right track after a few balls that tightened up my ball flight and got me used to a more neutral face.

Mike, then put the K-Vest on me and we got a 3 D look at my swing, I still can't believe how much that device tells you about your swing and how you stack up with the PGA Tour ranges. Concepts like the out toss, not tugging, and vertical left arm suddenly made all the sense in the world when I got to do the recommended drills for correcting some out of sequence components of my swing. I am very glad I got to do this early in the season, it gives me a great platform to build a practice around and I can already see improvement in ball flight.

A big thank you to Mike for allowing me to use his stuff. Looking forward to more progress.

Last edited:
I've seen the video with Heath Slocum wearing the K Vest. In that video they emphasize that Heath is hyper flexible and the K Vest really helps restrict his hips and shoulders and tightens up his swing.

For golfers who are just the opposite and lack flexaibility would this vest work for them. Many more less flexible golfers than having too much flexibility like a Heath Slocum or a Natalie Gulbis.

Last edited:
Jared,
Anytime... you know I'm just a couple pig farms and cow pastures away. :) Very impressive the way you were able to adjust your club numbers back to neutral so quickly, not that they were very far off to begin with. Looking forward to seeing the couple tweaks you've been working on. #hitthegroundrunning :)

Keefer,
3D isn't just for the good/flexible player. Saw a 15 year old (extremely hyper mobile) on Sat followed by a 67 year old. It doesn't matter which side of the scale the issues occur on, but it does help to have something that can accurately measure when and where they occur. It's like a TM/FS for the body. And just like with the LM's, you can zero in (no pun intended) immediately on the what needs attention. Just another set of measurements of what the golfer is really doing, and maybe more importantly, can show why they are doing it.

Mike, then put the K-Vest on me and we got a 3 D look at my swing, I still can't believe how much that device tells you about your swing and how you stack up with the PGA Tour ranges. Concepts like the out toss, not tugging, and vertical left arm suddenly made all the sense in the world when I got to do the recommended drills for correcting some out of sequence components of my swing. I am very glad I got to do this early in the season, it gives me a great platform to build a practice around and I can already see improvement in ball flight.

A big thank you to Mike for allowing me to use his stuff. Looking forward to more progress.

Jared any chance you could share a little more on the drills you guys worked on??

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Basically, just a lot of positioning of the body. Having your upper body turn 40 degrees while the pelvis turns just 20 degrees at the clubs first parallel was really hard for me.

Mikes ground forces vid is a great start to see how this data can help.

I have been teaching with the KVEST and Flightscope for the last 4 months. During that time my batting % has gone WAY UP in illustrating exactly of a student's body motions/alignments/and sequence are effecting their particular D PLANE creation.

On side note-
I must say I always winced when I saw teachers who were uber TPI, touting their X factor stretches and graphs as golfs survival. Mostly because what proceeded was JOE TPI banging out an hour of stork turn drills when all the slicer student needed was a grip, gamma torque, hip turn lesson. Moral of the story is that when a good instructor has motion capture and a doplar radar (and force plates?) the sky is the limit.

Not being negative but I'll bet my bottom dollar that almost everyone in the golf world, even regulars here, have little idea about sequencing.

It's just sooo crazy weird for the misguided (let's face it everyone was misguided by the boool from the past) that they just cannot imagine how it should be. If you can imagine it you can't do it.

The first diagnosis IMO is always what the club and ball are doing. Then from there you can spot some very valuable cause/effects (important things you have no chance of seeing with video) when you see the data from the 3D.

Very cool stuff. Thanks for sharing gents.

Jared/Mike, can you describe the club data before any changes and tell us about the club data post 3D before you dialed it back in?

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
My swing was just a shade too in to out. A lot of it was simple setup, I was set up closed. Started swinging a tad more to the left and it was better. Also, with the driver we noticed I had too much hip slide which was causing a more downward strike. Before, my angle of attack was between 0-2, after working a bit on getting out of the way, my bad drivers were 2-3 up and good ones were 4-5.

A lot of what we did with flightscope we discovered why I was doing it with K-vest.

Wulsy makes great points about sequencing. I had no idea. When I started to feel the correct sequence, I was amazed.

The first diagnosis IMO is always what the club and ball are doing. Then from there you can spot some very valuable cause/effects (important things you have no chance of seeing with video) when you see the data from the 3D.

Makes sense.

Not being negative but I'll bet my bottom dollar that almost everyone in the golf world, even regulars here, have little idea about sequencing.

It's just sooo crazy weird for the misguided (let's face it everyone was misguided by the boool from the past) that they just cannot imagine how it should be. If you can imagine it you can't do it.

Wulsy - What do you think is the most common misconception regarding sequencing?

Jared - Would you mind sharing the difference in "feels" between your older/incorrect sequencing and your improved sequencing after using the Kvest?

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Old: I really fought standing the club up and tossing. With my upper body firing first, I couldn't out toss and free wheel through impact like I wanted to. It wasn't horrible, but my upper body and lower body were essentially moving the same speed. Also, I set up with my butt tucked more underneath.

New: Starting with setup, PGA Tour ranges from 12-22 degrees bent over, I was 10, the goal is to be around 16-18, right in the middle of the Tour averages. Basically, I had to learn to stick my butt out a bit. Next was getting the feeling of the upper body turning without the hips turning "as much" I don't want to come off as saying they stay static but at the clubs first parallel (with the ground) Chest should be turned 40 degrees and hips should be turned 20 degrees. Along with the proper amount of side bend and bend at the top, it was a really strange feeling.

To start the downswing, again the goal is to get separation between upper and lower body. Feeling the hips open up with the upper body stays turned really allowed me to feel and I sincerely mean really feel the out toss my left arm stayed vertical and I felt I could apply any torque I wanted on the club. The most eye opening sequence of events I have ever experienced in golf.

K-Vest is essential in showing adults that started the game after age 21, what they should be working on.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Also, wearing an actual K-Vest made Michael Jacobs video literally come to life, a lot of what I was feeling came straight from the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.