"Laying off the club"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I am wondering how many folks feel there is a lot of power in a movement from the top of the backswing in transition which flattens the shaft or lays off the club.
I see many pros from down the line and the handle AND clubhead seems to move down together for a bit until rotation begins.
Keegan Bradley is a nice example.
Personally I can do the move enough to remain shallow enough for me to play good for a hack. I am wondering if folks feel like they really pull the right fingers down and drop the clubhead way behind as a feasible method and if this is a nice power move. It seems like it takes a pretty forceful move to shallow it out like the pros...
Any thoughts or advice from anybody?

S

SteveT

I'm sorry... I don't understand what you are trying to convey. Flattening the shaft and laying off the club can be two different manoevers if I understand them correctly.

When you say "there is a lot of power from the top of the backswing in transition", is that "power" or just "loading" of the hands and arms which may or may not power anything in the swing? I suspect you may be referring to a reduction in the swing radius at the top of the swing.

Perhaps you can post Keegan Bradley's DTL swing video so we have something to refer to.

S

SteveT

Steve T,
With all due respect-I am not interested in your opinion.

I don't think I've expressed any opinion... other than asking for clarification.

Perhaps if you posted Keegan Bradley's swing which you opine is a "nice example"... of "laying off the club"... that would be helpful to me and others too.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I would be willing to bet most pros don't even feel that. That being said, I would say nearly every top ball striker has the club on the "laid off" side of the hand path before going toward the ball. If you don't, expect underplane or under neath at impact.

I
would be willing to bet most pros don't even feel that. That being said, I would say nearly every top ball striker has the club on the "laid off" side of the hand path before going toward the ball. If you don't, expect underplane or under neath at impact.

Amen.

Hello,
I am wondering how many folks feel there is a lot of power in a movement from the top of the backswing in transition which flattens the shaft or lays off the club.
I see many pros from down the line and the handle AND clubhead seems to move down together for a bit until rotation begins.
Keegan Bradley is a nice example.
Personally I can do the move enough to remain shallow enough for me to play good for a hack. I am wondering if folks feel like they really pull the right fingers down and drop the clubhead way behind as a feasible method and if this is a nice power move. It seems like it takes a pretty forceful move to shallow it out like the pros...
Any thoughts or advice from anybody?

I can't play dead without it. I think for me it gives me "something to do" other than tugging directly from the top. It frees me up to play golf as I don't think of anything else after this move.

S

SteveT

Looks like his entire body is dipping down at the start of the downswing, and his arms and club follow even more because they are in a loose dynamic state. However, since his right upper arm is pulled close to his torso, the "drop-at-the-top" becomes exaggerated.

It's a dynamically sound move to bring his hand path closer to his body rotatory axis and create a more secure downswing.

his right upper arm is pulled close to his torso, the "drop-at-the-top" becomes exaggerated.

This is actually what I have to think about along with bend(extend) back the right wrist more at the same time as "tucking" the right elbow.

S

SteveT

Here's Quiros face-on. Looks like he has a 7/8ths backswing with his lead arm, even though he has a full shoulder turn. His swing is tight within his arms and his shaft doesn't reach horizontal either. No "toss out" in his swing, just a pull down while rotating his shoulders. Also no "laying off".

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Here's Quiros face-on. Looks like he has a 7/8ths backswing with his lead arm, even though he has a full shoulder turn. His swing is tight within his arms and his shaft doesn't reach horizontal either. No "toss out" in his swing, just a pull down while rotating his shoulders. Also no "laying off".

Seriously? No laying off? Quiros lays it down as much as any top player. And how do you know there's no "toss out", as you put it? Pretty wide hand path to me. Im not saying there is or isnt. Just cant tell from looking at that. You sound like those guys who think you can look at a video and tell everything a guy is doing. Have you seen a down the line of him? Because his lay off move is certainly one thing you can see with video.

S

SteveT

Seriously? No laying off? Quiros lays it down as much as any top player. And how do you know there's no "toss out", as you put it? Pretty wide hand path to me. Im not saying there is or isnt. Just cant tell from looking at that. You sound like those guys who think you can look at a video and tell everything a guy is doing. Have you seen a down the line of him? Because his lay off move is certainly one thing you can see with video.

Please show us Quiros' "laying off" in the DTL video provided by spmurph at his message #7. What did I miss?

As for "toss out", just look at Quiros' transition from the top. It's tight within his 7/8ths backswing.

Please show us Quiros' "laying off" in the DTL video provided by spmurph at his message #7. What did I miss?

You missed the fact that spmurph's video is Keegan Bradley, not Alvaro Quiros. Sometimes you seem a bit confused SteveT. That's OK, no one expects you to understand this stuff, you're just an amateur trying to
learn something on this here internet. ;)

I posted a Quiros DTL vid above. Do you see it now?

Last edited:
S

SteveT

You missed the fact that spmurph's video is Keegan Bradley, not Alvaro Quiros. Sometimes you seem a bit confused SteveT. That's OK, no one expects you to understand this stuff, you're just an amateur trying to
learn something on this here internet. ;)

I posted a Quiros DTL vid above. Do you see it now?

Yes, thank you for pointing out my gaffe. I do recall editing my Quiros video with "Also no laying off."... and I was erroneously thinking of what I saw of Keegan's swing. Obviously I got confused as you so politely put it. Also as an amateur, I try my best to understand this stuff as you so gleefully point out.

As for "learning something on the internet", you seem to be in that same category... having posted only 7 times since you joined this forum in December 2010. Perhaps you know it all so you only need to lurk and bash.

Since you claim to be a "pro golfer" in your profile, perhaps you could use your real name .. instead of hiding behind your anonymous shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.