"Laying off the club"

Status
Not open for further replies.
So do you think it is important on the average player, one that would be reading this forum?

Incidentally, far more top players have made one move versus two.

They all do IMO.

How in this world can a player make two separate moves in the downswing? Good or bad, once
the downswing has begun in full speed, it's one path in space to the ball. Tumble? Not the way
Brian defines it with the butt of the club pointing to the ground. When the clubhead goes from
trailing the hands to in front of the hands, the butt is pointing out towards the target. I won't
argue lexical semantics, if that word gets a player to deliver the club properly, so be it.

Brian's Tumble:

Picture3-75.jpg

Where the clubhead actually passes the hands:

Picture4-51.jpg
Picture5-37.jpg

Mike--

You may consider out toss and tumble as two separate moves, but they are sequenced in one motion. JMHO

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Whoa Nellie....WHere's the Torque?? :)

THETORQUE.jpg

Negative Beta?

That would be the "laying off" torque, or "negative tumble torque."

The following statement will help a lot of folks:

I (and a lot of other good golf teacher/thinkers) KNEW there was a "tumble torque." I named it before I ever met Steven Nesbit. That backyard video, which was actually a lesson review for a player of mine, was pre-Nesbit. I was on to something, huh?

The Steven Nesbit defined "Beta" is EXACTLY THAT.

So, Nitro, the laying off move is probably most often Negative Beta, just like it shows in the graph above when the green line goes below the white line.

I don't like the word tumble. There's a point where the trailing clubhead passes the
hands in the downswing and gets closer to the target line. In a good golf swing that
usually takes place in the area where the shaft approaches a parallel position to the
ground. To me, it's not a sudden falling and it can be pinpointed with precision if you
know what you're doing.

Call it what it is—BETA TORQUE.

I like tumble.

And, looking at the graph above, it is OBVIOUSLY not a sudden move. After going negative, it ramps up before DIVING inward.

And no, I didn't consider the off plane torque (BETA/Tumble) to also occur down by the ball. But, boy does it go negative fast!!!

I am not sure in all the teaching here that this high hands question has been adequately discussed. ...when you occasionally connect from the high position you immediately understand how much more power is available from there.

No doubt.

Please explain why TT ShaftLab downswing shaft loading profile which determines and defines the position of the clubhead... toe-up and toe-down... has "nothing" to do to "tumbling"?

Also how do you instruct for "tumbling" throughout the downswing?

Might want to ask our good friend Richard Franklin who watch a WHOLE BUNCH of different lessons last week as he was in auditing my instruction.

It can be done.

In many great and dynamic golf swings, like Sergio and Fowler for example, the shaft lays down in transition to the point where the shaft may point at or above the ball in transition. In order for the clubhead to have an unimpeded line to the golf ball, the hands move down and in as the clubhead "tumbles" out toward the ball.

ABSOLUTELY, babe.

Just look at the graph!!!!!

The reason most players don't feel a true tumble immediately after transition is because their shaft is too steep and tumbling the club further would create fats, pulls and toe hits. Tumbling the club can also help shallow golfers with open clubfaces square the clubhead and improve their angle of attack.

Perfect description.

I have been doing this for two months and it is helping. The obvious drawback for an early turner (me) is that it turns to dragging a bunch if you are off that day. If I slow everything down I have found I can hit the ball really well, but I wonder if a lack of strength in the hands and arms prevents me from being able to tumble fast enough to go faster.

Any thoughts?

The graph has all the answers.

And a MAJOR ANSWER is when the alpha & beta go negative.

I really identify with what drewyallop is saying here. In fact, I'm now skeptical that laying it off at the top is as valuable as people are saying it is. Seems to me that steep shoulders + a flat left arm plane at the top works great as long as the shaft isn't too far across the line. Heck, look at Quiros!

Quiros lays it off. Laying it off a bit is not only valuable, but almost necessary. Just the amount varies. But you can be skeptical.

Here is the deal, there is TORQUE and there are POSITIONS.

Sometimes the TORQUE creates the obvious position from the torque, sometimes not.

I can push on that house next door to me all I want, but it doesn't seem to want to move off of its foundation.

:)

Lindsey said "Who knows where and when a player is trying to apply force. "

Good call.

You win;t just whistling Dixie.

Surely out toss and tumble are 2 moves?

Just like Nitro said, it is all one big move.

But it may FEEL LIKE two.

Tumble? Not the way
Brian defines it with the butt of the club pointing to the ground.

Brian's Tumble:

Picture3-75.jpg

At that point in the swing, EXACTLY WHAT I AM SHOWING!!!

:)

But the torque, not the position.

Everyone should get it now?

Right....?

is it just me or does an "over-the-top" move feel like it comes with a lot more beta torque than a "lay-off" or "on-plane" move?

by this i mean a move that starts way inside and moves up and onto a proper HSP for the downswing.

Can someone point me to that thread where 1 v 2 move is discussed?

Who would be an example of 2 moves? I am across the line at the top and try to reverse tumble a bit in transition. Is that the 2 move method?

Jbrunk,

Yes, it would take two moves from the top to get a club that is across the line back to the ball. A club that is slightly laid off would only take one.

ekennedy,

Can you tell me what those two moves are in Fred's swing.

Good point, Nitro. I know a lot of super flexible guys with nearly vertical backswings whose clubs get slightly across the line at the top. I'm watching how the club moves.

If his move is easy to reproduce, by all means, copy Fred Couples.

Good point, Nitro. I know a lot of super flexible guys with nearly vertical backswings whose clubs get slightly across the line at the top. I'm watching how the club moves.

If his move is easy to reproduce, by all means, copy Fred Couples.

No, I don't want to copy that move.

Here's a flatter swing that crosses the line. What intent do you think MAJ had for this downswing?
What is the second move that is needed when the club is across the line that is not needed when
the club is laid off?

I thought the moves were already discussed in this thread.

Aren't the two moves needed from across the line:

1. the force along the shaft starting the downswing +
2. letting the club shaft "lay down" or "shallow" out from the beginning to about half way down in the downswing.

Last edited:
This is an awesome thread. I am experimenting with laying it off a bit in transition and have had some great results. It seems counter intuitive for someone who gets underplane to try and lay the shaft off in transition but early results are promising.

It has to feel very exaggerated for me, because I had high-hands that went out from the top then got under it late.

This feels like the club is dropping, laying-down behind me and then the feel hogan described about throwing the ball from shortstop to first.

Not natural at all for me but it works. My irons in particular are getting much better.

Been working for quite some time to change from high hands at the top to flatter shorter armswing move.
Found it today a bit with some great for me hitting.
I just wanted to put these feels out there to see if anyone relates...
Takeaway feels like right hip back a bit right shoulder moving up and back slowly. Hands pull gently inward while forearms working to move clubhead towards the ground on my right(twisting)
Now the key is SOFT AND SLOW IN TRANSITION.
Of course delivery happens I know quite well how to move through impact I just have trouble getting into position sometimes.
Hands really feel soft and close to me until nearing impact...Really kind of a don't break a sweat feeling...
I am self taught and only play with a few guys who can break par and I never discuss this with them so I thought I would throw my current feels out there to see if anyone relates...
LOL LAYING IT OFF IS COOL! Can it really be this effortless?

Last edited:
Been working for quite some time to change from high hands at the top to flatter shorter armswing move.
Found it today a bit with some great for me hitting.
I just wanted to put these feels out there to see if anyone relates...
Takeaway feels like right hip back a bit right shoulder moving up and back slowly. Hands pull gently inward while forearms working to move clubhead towards the ground on my right(twisting)
Now the key is SOFT AND SLOW IN TRANSITION.
Of course delivery happens I know quite well how to move through impact I just have trouble getting into position sometimes.
Hands really feel soft and close to me until nearing impact...Really kind of a don't break a sweat feeling...
I am self taught and only play with a few guys who can break par and I never discuss this with them so I thought I would throw my current feels out there to see if anyone relates...
LOL LAYING IT OFF IS COOL! Can it really be this effortless?

Much the same feel here with having to be very patient at transition. I have kind of moved away from trying to lay it off with low hands at the top though. I seem to hit it better with high hands at the top and really try to extend the right wrist as the arms/hands fall back in transition.

Status
Not open for further replies.