Lesson Case Study

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I've told students that if you want to hit your driver as far as you can, you CANNOT, CANNOT, have the same swing that you do with your iron; just can't. I also tell them if you really only want 1 swing for both, you are compromising your distance potential but it is an option. I leave it up to them.

S

SteveT

It took me a while to understand that there are, at the simplest, two types of swings that you have to master as a golfer--driver/woods swing and the irons swing. In reality there is a swing that works best for each club, but that probably doesn't relate to this situation. That would be step one of the explanation. The next step is related to SteveT's conscious vs. subconscious topic. For the golfer to learn the new iron swing, he/she needs to get into the conscious mode when swinging the iron. There are also strategies such as using "clear keys" described by Carey Mumford to help with that process.

So basically, I would go back over what he needs to do with his iron swing. Then give some advice as how to integrate, or better yet separate, the iron and driver swings using conscious thought while alternating between the two clubs. Then, time permitting, give a strategy--I like the "clear keys"--on how to get those moves into a subconscious motion.

These are all things that I have really only discovered/understood in the last year or so, so it is a work in progress, but I have had decent success.

Let me clarify.... you are either functioning consciously or in a non-conscious state... there are no in-betweens when you are playing competent, automatic golf. If you keep yourself in a sub-conscious, semi-conscious, in-and-out conscious to non-conscious mode... you are headed for eventual disaster on the golf course. If you are trying to apply your lessons on the golf course through some conscious swing thoughts, you are sabotaging your biomechanics because you are inventing something new each time.

Okay, I concede you can practice in a conscious swing thought mode in an attempt to learn something new, but changes take a long time to take hold because you must grow into those changes at the brain-neuro-muscular level... and that takes months of steady practice, as we see from the tour pros who are serious about their game.

If you seemingly and consciously learn something new and successful in a golf lesson, you just can't carry that on to the golf course with the assumption that it's part of your swing because of your powerful mind-over-matter kinesthetic and proprioceptive capabilities. You are just experiencing a "placebo" effect and when it wears off you may be in even worse form than you started.

Learning something new that is deep into your golfswing is a very slow process to make it non-consciously automatic ... and if you believe you can function "sub-consciously", your strategy is fraught with failure. There is no magic bullet for instant success in golf... believe it.

Everybody wants to "know"... but few are willing to "pay the price"......:eek:

You seriously have no idea what you are talking about.

Every player of any ability anywhere in the world is working on something right now, as we speak.

And playing well and winning while doing it.

You should start every sentence you type with, "From my experience as a bogey golfer..."

S

SteveT

I think I have an idea what I am talking about ... and it is based on scientific knowledge that is available to everybody... if you want to learn.

If you are a golf teacher, you should not be referring to "Every player of any ability" unless you are coaching a tour pro golfer or a top amateur talent. Most participating and viewing this forum are most likely playing in the 80's at best... and those who are consistently in the 70's are out on the courses enjoying their skills and the game.

"From my considerable experience studying the golfswing and scientific studies involving the golfswing", I can say with justifiable pride that I am now a decent bogey golfer which places me in the top 3% of all golfer worldwide. Yes, I was able to substantially reduce my handicap but now in my modesty I must admit that age is taking it's toll on my game and ability to practice a lot.

If you are not a qualified golf teacher then you should shtfu... because your ignorance is showing, badly.

He IS a golf teacher, and a very good player SteveT. You ought to show some respect for someone that teaches for a living, knows far more then you ever will about the golf swing, and on a bad day could still give you a shot a hole. Besides, I'm pretty sure most of the teachers and forum readers here think that you don't know wtf you're talking about.

S

SteveT

He IS a golf teacher, and a very good player SteveT. You ought to show some respect for someone that teaches for a living, knows far more then you ever will about the golf swing, and on a bad day could still give you a shot a hole. Besides, I'm pretty sure most of the teachers and forum readers here think that you don't know wtf you're talking about.

As you have said to others: Are you taking your own advice?

If that is so, then I apologize to ekennedy for my brusque response to his querulous comments attacking me rather than explaining why he thinks I'm wrong and in a respectful manner.

Perhaps ekennedy can now explain himself and tell us why he thinks I'm wrong, instead of just making spurious comments not worthy of this fine forum.

As for your comment: "I'm pretty sure most of the teachers and forum readers here think that you don't know wtf you're talking about.".... speak for yourself if you are so scientifically-challenged.

As for "advice", there is a lot being given but pitifully little is science-based... and perhaps that's why some feel inadequate. Stick around a learn.

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I let Steve T back on this forum and I told him: stick to science.

The "learning" science is not the science I was talking about.

I disagree with much of it, almost every STEVET post about teaching golf.

If that is so, then I apologize to ekennedy for my brusque response to his querulous comments attacking me rather than explaining why he thinks I'm wrong and in a respectful manner.

Perhaps ekennedy can now explain himself and tell us why he thinks I'm wrong, instead of just making spurious comments not worthy of this fine forum.

As for your comment: "I'm pretty sure most of the teachers and forum readers here think that you don't know wtf you're talking about.".... speak for yourself if you are so scientifically-challenged.

So, you have no idea ekennedy is a very accomplished player and a very fine golf instructor who Brian has said would be a Manzella Academy instructor if it wasn't for him wanting to continue playing more, but I don't know what I'm talking about?

It may be true that most instructors and readers think I don't know what I'm talking about in my posts, but you are the first to tell me after my 1500+ posts. I have read Brian and others tell you that you don't know what you're talking about on numerous occasions in your 1500+ posts. It is admirable that you continue trying to impress the Manzella staff with your superior knowledge, but probably just like when you were in grade school no one likes a kiss ass:p

Since I am so "scientifically challenged", please enlighten me on the correct description on how, for instance, you may be driving your car to the store and thinking about something else. When you arrive at the store and are shutting off your car, you realize that you don't remember every turn, every time putting on the blinker, every time you pressed on the brake, or every other car that you passed or passed you, yet you still probably drove perfectly fine without paying close "conscious" attention to it. What are some strategies that you would suggest to get in the "automatic" mode while playing?

S

SteveT

Great ball-beaters don't necessarily make good teachers, nor do they appreciate Sport Sciences due to lack of education.

Some try to assert that I don't know what I'm talking about... but few are willing to explain why. Wonder why...??!!!

As for "What are some strategies that you would suggest to get in the "automatic" mode while playing?" I recommend seeking out a scientifically qualified golf teacher-instructor-coach who uses TM or FS plus a series of lessons to work on your decrepit golfswing... and then practice a lot in between lessons. Your practice must be done consciously, not sub-consciously, and that is the painful challenge of learning something new that involves body motor control. If you are still sceptical, I suggest you go to a university book store or amazon.com and buy a text book on Human Perception, Motor Control and Learning and then read and study it. It's all there in simple english... but unfortunately not in one-liner twitter blurts.

S

SteveT

I let Steve T back on this forum and I told him: stick to science.

The "learning" science is not the science I was talking about.

I disagree with much of it, almost every STEVET post about teaching golf.

I'm talking about Sport Sciences, but if you want me to only talk about Newtonian Science, I can do that... but then nobody will understand me like they don't understand mandrin... who seems to have vanished. I doubt he even owns a set of golf clubs...

Also, I don't pretend to "teach" the golfswing, but I do ask questions that I believe are science-based and helpful to understanding swing problems. I may give scientific advice, but no more than that.

Last edited:
Seriously when you hinged his right wrist, you gave him the ability to keep the club head on his side of the tracks. Because he was then Unhinging down not out. Before that (and what he went back to i guess) at last parallel position his right palm is facing out causing him to unhinge OUT not down. Happens a lot with no wrist set. So no matter what hand path he still has an outside club head path. He likes that slinger action on the driver but hits the hosel rockets with the irons. Just a guess without seeing it. I know you guys dont do video any more but I'd love to see it.

I have post-graduate training in the nuero-muscluar interactions of the human body and know the physiology, tracts and connections fairly well. I have also studied cognitive development and learning and apply those studies on a daily basis. I gave a practical source for getting to "automatic" mode in golf that you could explore. Yet you give no real practical application to all your "knowledge" and "study" on this subject only a directive to go find out myself. I am left only to conclude that it is not worth my time discussing this further with you.

Sorry for the thread derailment Kevin.

S

SteveT

I have post-graduate training in the nuero-muscluar interactions of the human body and know the physiology, tracts and connections fairly well. I have also studied cognitive development and learning and apply those studies on a daily basis. I gave a practical source for getting to "automatic" mode in golf that you could explore. Yet you give no real practical application to all your "knowledge" and "study" on this subject only a directive to go find out myself. I am left only to conclude that it is not worth my time discussing this further with you.

Sorry for the thread derailment Kevin.

Do you believe there is a "sub-conscious" state of mind as you referred to in your message #20? Enlighten us from your post-graduate training and please explain the roles of conscious and non-conscious states when playing golf. I will yield to your knowledge and training.

In addition, what do you object to in my original response to you at message #22 ... other than saying "As you have said to others: Are you taking your own advice?".

In responding to your message #20, you attributed "sub-conscious" to me.. and all I did what try to correct you... and now you are withdrawing from the discussion that involve the scientific state of mind while learning and playing golf?

Perhaps you should share your scientific knowledge base to help enlighten ekennedy, myself, and perhaps even Brian, to understand what you know about the "sub-conscious" mind.. all in a polite and professional manner.

Do you believe there is a "sub-conscious" state of mind as you referred to in your message #20? Enlighten us from your post-graduate training and please explain the roles of conscious and non-conscious states when playing golf. I will yield to your knowledge and training.

In addition, what do you object to in my original response to you at message #22 ... other than saying "As you have said to others: Are you taking your own advice?".

In responding to your message #20, you attributed "sub-conscious" to me.. and all I did what try to correct you... and now you are withdrawing from the discussion that involve the scientific state of mind while learning and playing golf?

Perhaps you should share your scientific knowledge base to help enlighten ekennedy, myself, and perhaps even Brian, to understand what you know about the "sub-conscious" mind.. all in a polite and professional manner.

As far as brain science goes, there are two states, conscious and unconscious. "Sub-conscious" is somewhat of a layman's term used to describe tasks that the brain directs with little conscious thought such as performing normal every day habits or tasks. Unconscious actions are better known as actions controlling homeostasis through the autonomic nervous and endocrine systems. Yet, since these actions are controlled by the brain, they may have some influence through conscious thoughts(but that is a debate far beyond this topic).

I will try and paraphrase Dr. Carey Mumford's explanation of the process in relation to golf/sports as well as from memory. "Sub-conscious" is again used to describe actions such as "habits" that are done without consciously thinking about the actions such as chewing gum, driving, typing and for some the golf swing. Most habits are done without any real or perceived threats, but a golfer puts pressure--a perceived threat--on him/herself based on the outcome of their shot. And if the shot does not come off as planned, they will search their memory of the actions involved to find the cause resulting in anxiety. For a movement pattern to be ingrained as a habit and become (I will use the term you seem to prefer) automatic, it needs to be done with conscious thought and without any pressure or perceived threats. Once a habit becomes established, which most studies I have seen takes approximately 6 weeks, it can be only performed on automatic when there is no perceived threat or anxiety. What most golfers do prior to hitting a golf shot is think about the outcome, which is increases anxiety and causes them to consciously think about how to swing. Just like thinking about how to breathe, this slows and changes how the process is completed leading most likely to a faulty golf swing swing that does not have the desired outcome. But, Dr. Mumford and others have used this information to devise practical solutions in "taking the mind off" the desired action so that the brain can automatically coordinate the "habit" or movement pattern. These practical solutions need to also be consciously practiced to become habits as well, though, but can be incorporated along with the learning of the new movement pattern. With these practical solutions, a golfer can also have conscious thought input prior to starting their "automatic" mode minimizing the amount of anxiety during the execution of the golf swing. It is a bit more involved than just a normally thought of pre-shot routine.

I believe I have used a polite and professional manner in all my posts. I was not responding to your post #22 per se. I did respond to your unprofessional and derogatory response to ekennedy and johnnym because of your comment about those who are not golf instructors should "stfu", yet you are not a golf instructor and post on just about every topic--just pointed out the contradiction. I also am responding to your "it takes time" and "believe it" comments without giving any real practical information. I probably shouldn't have responded at all to you then or now, but I felt your arrogance and lack of practical application had to be responded to. I'll now go back to not knowing what I'm talking about:).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.