Lesson Case Study

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually Dennis, I thought it was slightly the other way around. Before he had no right wrist bent, he couldn't throw the clubhead out to the ball at all. So he took his hands out and unlocked the club down and undercut his irons....couldn't get on top of the ball. So he had inside and under clubhead path. Closing his stance with the driver allowed him to dump it early yet still get around and up on the teed up ball.

Really interesting to hear this swing discussed. I that release a common theme. As with Brians post a few years back, is the under and inside how he "learned not to slice".

I was hitting loads of fairways but irons weren't "flush" and ball flight a little wipey.

On Trackman doing iron carry distances the other day had a tip from the pro to feel a little twistaway coming down so at last parallel the clubhead "felt" and "looked" closed to me.

Certainly noticed more right wrist bend and immediate iron ball striking improvement. No shanking but he also got me to hit some half shots with a tee under each armpit to rotate hard through impact and try to pull it (which I just couldn't do lol)

Trade off was about 10mph with the driver at that session, which I would guess as I wasn't releasing early and under to square the face (bad misses with driver were drop kicks and high pushes)

In you lesson Kevin, you obviously got him moving well but did he then, as other have suggested, get his driver out and show you his "old" action?

Mixing out and under release with remnants of his new on top of it iron pattern led to shanking?

I think what other have suggested is that he has to realise there are two different patterns for full swing golf?

I was hitting my irons great and felt on top of the ball, flushing it with a baby fade, then switched to driver and had a -4' AoA with it. It was strange to see how/why different irons and driver had to be, and why you get people saying all the time driving was good today, but my irons were shitty and so on and the other way round...

How on earth do you teach some basic knowledge people they need to have distinctly different swings for woods and irons?

And how on earth do you solve this problem at the end of a lesson? Do you have to tell the guy he can;t do that old swing anymore?

Can anyone concisely summarise the different characteristics of swing pattern that define an optimum iron swing to that of a driver swing?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Can anyone concisely summarise the different characteristics of swing pattern that define an optimum iron swing to that of a driver swing?

I don't know about optimum but I believe iron swings not to have the sweetspot turning down a bit more earlier, a better hand path, and different body angles thru impact. A driver swing can tolerate some standing up on it, a little underneath coming in, a slightly outward hand path at the bottom and a little more roll thru impact.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Kevin, what fix would you suggest for hitting it high and on the outside of the face with the driver?

Sounds like a handle raise at impact or too steep attack angle. I like to practice getting the head to swing out to the ball by getting the club laid down earlier in the swing so you don't have to hump the ball and stand the handle up just to fit it in to impact.

I knew this thread would get a rise out of the transverse abduction hip stall fringe lunatics. Didn't disappoint! How's life been in nowhere's land? Great forum when the owner has post as ten different people.

If it's the site I think you're talking about it was a big ROFL when I visited. I guess when you've been banned from virtually any and all golf forums the logical next step is to....... START YOUR OWN!!! What was more amusing was that most of the threads are cut-and-paste threads from OTHER forums??!!! AYKM?

Now that's an original thinker!!!

I believe a guy named "crickets" is the primary poster there.

Actually the ones who show up because of shanks are the easiest lessons. You don't have to get them to hit it good, just stop shanking. They're the most easily pleased lesson takers out there! Up and over is the worst shank, in to out late next, and the most subtle shank is the out hinge with the hand line in. In my experience.

Start talking to him a lot between shots to keep the remaining ball count low so that nobody else on the range sees and thinks you taught him how to do that.

If I were using the hosel to compress the ball I would step down to half swings to manage my tempo and handpath. I'd have to see the student swing to offer swing advice. That being said it sounds like he wants to have one swing, he has to understand, as others have stated, that clubs that look very different will be swung in a different manner ie woods vs irons vs putter. Maybe make him a venn diagram of what can be shared between woods and irons and what cannot be.

Of course you could always get him to turn the visor around, put all his change in his left pocket, and untie his shoe. Ay least it'll keep him from stickin those chili peppers up Lee Janzen's...

Status Update

Kevin - have you had a chance to work with this guy again? Was he able to make progress hitting both irons and his
driver? If so, what did you focus on for the irons?

Status
Not open for further replies.