Luke Donald

Status
Not open for further replies.

Check out this great video of Luke Donald's golf swing last week at the JB Were Masters in Australia. Great pre-shot routine accentuating a free wheeling release.

My question is...how many things do you have to do correctly to get the club in the position posted below. You have to be pretty flexible to even pose that position.

lukedonald.jpg

maybe not any

but trying to get there

could be helpful don't you think

Here's my thinking...it would take a handle dragger years to get to that position, but its great to aspire to a free-wheeling clubhead release. Luke is a wonderful wedge and iron player with a dynamic short game action. It is easier for HIM to get into that position than most.

I think it's incredibly unique, especially when you consider that the previous frames looked like this...

lukepreimpact.png

lukeimpact.png

lukepostimpact.png

rcw

New
Yes Luke has an incredibly quick set of hands and wrists for the club to rehinge that fast with a driver. To me that is impressive.
I also think the posture he is able to create during his motion is excellent and does require a significant amount of flexibility, mobility, balance and strength. That is why is motion is so pleasing to the eye, because he is able to control his motion so efficiently. To say that a golf swing that "world class" does not require any flexibility at all is just a tad bit misleading...

ZAP

New
I will let you know if I ever get there but it certainly feels easier on my body working with the ideas about the release.

I'd like to know what he learned this year that he didn't know before. Until 2011 he was short and crooked. Looked great but couldn't drive it worth a damn. He's a genius from 100 yards in, but he always was. And his great tempo dent change. So what's up?

I'd like to know what he learned this year that he didn't know before. Until 2011 he was short and crooked. Looked great but couldn't drive it worth a damn. He's a genius from 100 yards in, but he always was. And his great tempo dent change. So what's up?

Higher intensity workouts??

What I find amazing is that he can be #1 in the world and drive it so poorly. He's 127 in Total driving and that's just counting PGA Tour players. I'd bet there are 20-30 club pro's , 30-40 nationwide, 30-40 college, and 30-40 European and Asian Tour player's that drive it better. He's probably not one of the top 300 drivers in the world. To get the results he has is impressive.

What I find amazing is that he can be #1 in the world and drive it so poorly. He's 127 in Total driving and that's just counting PGA Tour players. I'd bet there are 20-30 club pro's , 30-40 nationwide, 30-40 college, and 30-40 European and Asian Tour player's that drive it better. He's probably not one of the top 300 drivers in the world. To get the results he has is impressive.
And let me add 4-5 guys from this forum. ( My money is on Shields in a driving contest with Luke) 5 guys on the Senior Tour, and Yani Tseng.

If we assume, say, that top 25 would be a good position in total driving, approximately how many fewer fairways did Donald hit in his position at 127? (Clearly he has enough distance, otherwise he wouldn't be #1)

I'd say his misses probably aren't that bad. 2 yards off the fairway counts the same (a missed fairway) as a snap hook out of bounds. Without looking at stats I'd say he's in the top 5 in the world in putting. and #1 in the world in from 150 yards and in.

Status
Not open for further replies.