Need help with getting forward shaft lean

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own COFF tried it for three months and still can't make it translate into results. I have no forward shaft lean at all hit on a lie board and the marks were in the middle of the sole any advice or key would be greatly appreciated.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I own COFF tried it for three months and still can't make it translate into results. I have no forward shaft lean at all hit on a lie board and the marks were in the middle of the sole any advice or key would be greatly appreciated.

Do you own Never Slice Again?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
honestly ive played better golf with less shaft lean and hitting the irons a little shorter than i used too. makes for more consistent ballflight and enough spin to hold any green.

Is it easier to be "zeroed" with less shaft lean?

Seems to me that you would have to make more adjustments to be zeroed with more shaft lean.

Just wondering because I don't have much.

I would really like to see a video of this swing. Jim Colbert was a +4 when he was dominating the senior tour. At +3 or better why would you try to change your swing?

Everything I know about creating forward shaft lean comes from COFF. If that did'nt answer the question I doubt I could. Use the towel drill in the video, from top of swing, try to keep head steady while you try to get your hands over your left foot before impact. Hard not to lean that shaft forward that way. If that does not work, really close the clubface at address and try to hit the ball straight. This is a good way to get the Lee Trevino look, if you don't lean the shaft forward the ball goes dead left. I am guessing Brian asked about Never Slice Again, because if your clubface is open, forward lean will not help you at all. One thing that really helped me with forward shaft lean was a Hogan quote to Ben Crenshaw about hitting it low. He told him he tries to hit it on the second groove. This is what it feels like to use the tour striker to me. Thinking of the clubface at impact may set that shaft lean forward without worrying about it.

Tour Striker Pro

YES!

Also. . . assuming a manzella neutral grip (for a right handed golfer) the more bent the right wrist is at impact the more shaft lean at impact. Use your pivot to carry the club through the hitting area while trying to maintain a bent right wrist.

Last edited:
If you are a legitimate +3 handicap, who gives a flip about shaft lean? Although I seriously doubt one of those statements, or perhaps both. I believe we all here on the forum need to see a video of your swing. Please post.

Status
Not open for further replies.