New Titleist 910 D2 & D3 Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Back to the drawing board, my Cobra outperformed the Titleist in every way. Ball speed, launch conditions and overall tightness of trajectory. The Titleist was just too forgiving, got weird ballflight. The only thing I was able to do better was turn it over, which is indicative of modern clubs.

I have another one coming. Just feels too light and doesnt give the same solid feel as the Cobra.

Just got mine. Haven't hit it yet. 20-40 degree in Bend last week. EEEk.

In NOLA. Had a cup of Joe with BMan. Always nice to see him.

jimmyt

New
Help Me!

Help me to understand how a driver with the same exact shaft be so radically different in ball flight????? Did you hit the D2 or D3? The D3 is the smaller sized head! I guess I never thought the head of a driver would make that much of a difference. I always thought it was the shaft that was important not both head and shaft!!!

jimmyt

New
The very fact that manufacturers make different model heads should make
you question how you ever reached a conclusion like that.

I know the head of the club is important, deep face, designed for more speed, etc. I thought however that different heads and appeal was mostly marketing and cosmetic likes and dislikes. Guess I thought that if you put any head on a shaft that was perfect customized for your swing would generate the same basic ball flight and numbers.

My son tested the 8.5 d3 with a tour AD 65 xs shaft ( exact same shaft as he plays now) and was killing it on the range. Got the d3 with the same setup and can't get the ball to stay in the air. Either the head or shaft is different go figure.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Help me to understand how a driver with the same exact shaft be so radically different in ball flight????? Did you hit the D2 or D3? The D3 is the smaller sized head! I guess I never thought the head of a driver would make that much of a difference. I always thought it was the shaft that was important not both head and shaft!!!

two different heads can make the shaft work a totally different way. you have to be very lucky to stumble on a perfectly fit driver. Im very reluctant to change.

My son tested the 8.5 d3 with a tour AD 65 xs shaft ( exact same shaft as he plays now) and was killing it on the range. Got the d3 with the same setup and can't get the ball to stay in the air. Either the head or shaft is different go figure.

Can't remember which guru said this, but it struck me as wise at the time.

"Always buy the demo"

Yes, but with the advent of screw on heads for fitting, they aren't selling the demo.

My elaborate Trackman fitting in Michigan last year had me striping the Ping G15 9 degree
with the I15 stiff shaft. I ordered the identical club. I never was able to duplicate my
fitting performance with the club. Did my swing change? I doubt it. Was it the range scenario versus course?
No, I couldn't duplicate on my local range.

Eventually, I stuck a couple of different shafts in it and it improved. The G15 has a 205 gram head which helps
in the re-shaft/swingweight challenge. I tried shortening to 44.5".

Then on whim germinated by how well a playing partner always hit his drives, I bought an original model Ping Rapture, 10.5 with the By-You regular shaft. This regular shaft is not whippy. This driver fits me better than
the formerly fitted G15. At least until the next bright idea comes along!

I think I read somewhere that Nike sent Tiger 100 identical drivers to pick from. When I played competitive tennis most players had a favorite racquet even though they had a half a dozen identical ones.

Good relation with your fitter?

Yes, but with the advent of screw on heads for fitting, they aren't selling the demo.

My elaborate Trackman fitting in Michigan last year had me striping the Ping G15 9 degree
with the I15 stiff shaft. I ordered the identical club. I never was able to duplicate my
fitting performance with the club. Did my swing change? I doubt it. Was it the range scenario versus course?
No, I couldn't duplicate on my local range.

Did you go back to your fitter? He has your previous swings in the database and could compare those with your new driver within seconds.

One customer that came back because his fitted driver did not "work" changed his swing from 2* inside,2*up to 10* out and 2* down! That at the advise of a teaching pro :( Together with his original teacher and the trackman got him back to his old swing.......last news about his driver was on some public french forum telling everyone he had drove his new driver 280meters :D

Not really possible. I was 125 miles away on business at the time of the fitting.
Now about 900 miles away. I am hitting this Ping Rapture in the fairway more than
other drivers that are in the club pile. So I think I will stick with it.

jimmyt

New
It's a shame that with technology as it is, as many of you have stated it seems to boil down to luck.......

That should be unacceptable. Another word for it is BULL***T. Sorry it pisses me off.

What you are missing is that some how you think technology is at A, and it's not at A.

Despite technology they can't make every head identical. There are variables. Shafts?
same story. They are laminating layers of pre-peg (cloth impregnated with resin) layer
after layer to make a shaft. They simply can't make every one identical. Then you have
the grip weight, the assembled length, etc. etc. Then you have the people doing the club
building. Probably $10.00 per hour folks at the most. Take your brand new set of irons to
a shop and have the lies and lofts checked. You will be surprised how far off they probably are.

So it's not B-S. They do the best they can. You also should realize that they are trying to
make a profit. I guarantee each club has been thouroughly analyzed for build cost. I would
also think that the specs for the materials are right at get by level so they can buy the materials
at the best possible price point.

The good part is that they have created a market expectation of a new model every 6 months.
This means the initial high price point drops off a cliff every model change and bargains are the rule.

Custom fitting is BS if you can't buy what you demo and the quality control isn't there to ensure you get what you specced. The exception would be the situation that Frans describes, which is basically the fitter doing the quality control.

What's interesting to me is whether the situation is made better or worse with adjustable heads. Is the greater complexity of design and manufacture just introducing more error, or could the adjustability be used to "tune out" manufacturing variables?

Steve - at the very least, couldn't you get your test data with a phone call or an email? Then you could check things out with a local fitting session. That would answer your question as to whether or not your swing had changed from when you were fit for your driver.

I guess it might also open up a potential warranty claim against the supplier and/or manufacturer if you have "sale by description" laws.

Birly, that's not practical. I have the data. I have the G15 head. I don't have Trackman anywhere
near me. It would cost me more to pursue this than to just forget about it. Besides that I have re-shafted
the driver 4 times!

Fair enough. I assumed that, in America, there was a trackman on every streetcorner.

I understand your situation. Lot's of people make rash errors of judgement when they're far from home. I'm not judging...

I tried out the D2 and I was impressed. I also tried out some of the new model irons. I was impressed with the Mizuno MP-68's. I liked the looks and feel of the new Nike VR Pro's, but it had a shaft I didn't like in them. The clubs that were very impressive are the new MacGregor VIP's. 1020 carbon steel and their stock shafts are KBS Tours. Very soft feel to them.

3JACK

Status
Not open for further replies.