Nicklaus Swing (age 15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I heard an interview with Nicklaus one time where he mentioned that he was clocked at swing speeds of 120+ on a regular basis. With a swing like that, it doesn't seem that outlandish. I wonder what a young Nicklaus would have done with graphite and titanium drivers, and enough knowledge of the D-Plane to hit up at least a little. Kind of scary to think about.

Dariusz J.

I wonder what a young Nicklaus would have done with graphite and titanium drivers, and enough knowledge of the D-Plane to hit up at least a little. Kind of scary to think about.

He will be longer and less consistent. As all humans. Even Hogan would be less consistent with light graphite crap.

Cheers

I think I heard an interview with Nicklaus one time where he mentioned that he was clocked at swing speeds of 120+ on a regular basis. With a swing like that, it doesn't seem that outlandish. I wonder what a young Nicklaus would have done with graphite and titanium drivers, and enough knowledge of the D-Plane to hit up at least a little. Kind of scary to think about.
Totally believable that he generated that amount of speed. From what I understand, Norman and Watson, to name just two long hitters from the steel and persimmon era, were in the 120s with driver too. Also, I believe that Jack was longer as a young man (though not 15 years young) than he was in his prime.

I had never seen that video before -- thanks for posting it. What a golf swing.

By the way, I think Jack figured out hitting up on a driver when he was very young....

Well, Tommy Armour wrote that you should hit up on the driver (and out of a closed stance too!).

Trouble is, there wasn't the technology to verify whether these guys actually did what they said they did.

I know that there are guys who have hit on trackman who think that hitting up on a balata with a persimmon headed driver would NOT have ended well - so who knows...?

FWIW, when Greg Norman did an interview on that golf talk central or whatever that show was that Peter Kessler used to do, they got on the topic of modern driving technology and ball technology and Greg Norman said the following paraphrased:

"People have no idea how good of a driver Nicklaus was, and how believably powerful he was. If Nicklaus in his early prime had the technology that we do, he would have hit every drive more than 360 yards with more accuracy than he did in his days of playing."

At first I thought Greg Norman was of course engaging in hyperbole, but I'm really not sure anymore. Also, I once heard Arnold talking about how he would be playing with Jack and keeping up with him off the tee (and Arnold was really long for his day and prided himself on his driving distance) and then Jack would just empty the clip after Arnie hit one of his best drives and carry it by like 30 yeards....said it was really demoralizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.