OCTOBER 24, 2006 — 7:00 EDT — LIVE THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
late is unforgivable

Hello Brian

Need some help 'Rolling the Rock'. Used to be a decent putter - never great - now a basket case. Short putts are a disaster - pushes, pulls, mishits etc. Can't get the putter to go past the ball from 3 or 4 feet on in.

Help - Bruce

I'm fairly new to TGM and I'm having some trouble really "feeling" my no.3 PP. On chips and pitches, I'm making better center-club contact than ever, but in my full swing I seem to lose the feeling in my right index finger. Is this simply leakage? Any good drills to engrain this feeling of a lagging clubhead?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Ok...

Here you go Bob (rhw)...

Set up

swing the club back and forth from the TOP to the finish swivel

back and forth

forth and back

make a divot/scrape in the same spot going and coming

try to get to 10 forward swings

rest

now

put a ball down

make a swing at it

but don't stop

make another swing

so

you are making four swings

and three divots

and hitting the ball on the first forward (swing)

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Hello Brian

Need some help 'Rolling the Rock'. Used to be a decent putter - never great - now a basket case. Short putts are a disaster - pushes, pulls, mishits etc. Can't get the putter to go past the ball from 3 or 4 feet on in.

Help - Bruce

Try this drill:

Put a tee in the back of the hole.

TeeCup side facing the ball

you are putting a putt of 3 to 6 feet

you are trying to hit the tee and gradually knock the tee further into the back of the hole

BOOM

Boom

You'll be very surprised

Last edited:

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
How can I create more lag? Lately I feel like I am hitting the ball solid, but according to indoor hitting bays I am only swinging the driver about 92 mph. I am swinging the 6 iron 90 mph. Consequently according to the monitor 6 iron 190 yards; driver 230. both clubs are consistently 1.48 - 1.55 smash factor.

How come the loss of speed with the driver, I assume lag, what else? Thanks

Brian Manzella

Administrator
How can I create more lag? Lately I feel like I am hitting the ball solid, but according to indoor hitting bays I am only swinging the driver about 92 mph. I am swinging the 6 iron 90 mph. Consequently according to the monitor 6 iron 190 yards; driver 230. both clubs are consistently 1.48 - 1.55 smash factor.

How come the loss of speed with the driver, I assume lag, what else? Thanks

What is your clubhead speed with a 5 iron and a driver??

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I'm fairly new to TGM and I'm having some trouble really "feeling" my no.3 PP. On chips and pitches, I'm making better center-club contact than ever, but in my full swing I seem to lose the feeling in my right index finger. Is this simply leakage? Any good drills to engrain this feeling of a lagging clubhead?

It could be leakage, but what is leakage?

You may just be APPLYING Pressure to the #3 PP—a reall no-no, ya know.:D

Brian,
Thanks for doing this again. I revisited "Building Blocks" today and I couldn't even swing on plane horizontally. That video is a real gem when things get tough. No wonder I have been struggling. One thing I also came to notice is that I tend to not release Acc# 1. My right arm will tend to stay bent. Maybe at times I thought that this was sustaining the lag. Anyway worked on that today and noticed a marked improvement. I didn't get a chance to video tape it, but should this help with "Following the Yellow Brick Road"?

Jim S.

Last edited:
no problems on the practice green

I have no problems on the practice green - can stroke it right on thru the ball. On the golf course another story. Even from a foot, I sort of stab it in the hole.

I know that mentally I am too tied up on 'results' rather than the process.

What's worse is that now my 'reputation' has proceeded me. We had our Annual 'Ryder Cup' Match with another local club 2 weeks ago. In Sunday Singles match - 1st Hole, I wedge to less than 2 feet - opponent wedges to 6" - I concede his putt - I lose the hole - went on to miss 8 putts inside of 10 feet for birdies before he closed me out

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I have no problems on the practice green - can stroke it right on thru the ball. On the golf course another story. Even from a foot, I sort of stab it in the hole.

I know that mentally I am too tied up on 'results' rather than the process.

What's worse is that now my 'reputation' has proceeded me. We had our Annual 'Ryder Cup' Match with another local club 2 weeks ago. In Sunday Singles match - 1st Hole, I wedge to less than 2 feet - opponent wedges to 6" - I concede his putt - I lose the hole - went on to miss 8 putts inside of 10 feet for birdies before he closed me out

Ever try the "Manzella Grip"??

Status
Not open for further replies.