Oh Johnny....Johnny Johnny Johnny, you will never learn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Tiger Woods, 15th hole, has 104 yards left to the hole and here is another gem from Ole Mr. Miller:

"The only thing i don't like about his game right now is he is aiming left on wedges, he's sort of trying to cut them instead of trapping them in there."

Tiger proceeds to hit it to about 2 feet and they cut to commercial and Johnny doesn't have anything to say. He also must have said "trap draw" about 5 other times in the broadcast too with various players and shots.

You see Mr. Miller, Tiger has learned how to zero out his path via trackman and Sean Foley. To hit dead straight wedges you have to swing left because you are hitting the ball off the ground.

I'm sure myself or any other Brian Manzella Academy instructor would be more than willing to explain to you how ball flight really works, that is there no such thing as a trap draw or squeezing it against the ground or any other number of things you say that are incorrect. I don't completely blame you because it's difficult to admit that what probably served you well for years both playing and commenting on golf was found out to be factually incorrect even if those incorrect notions led you to play good golf.

However just because back then it helped you and others play good golf you have the responsibility to not only commentate but also educate your viewers and sir, you do a poor job of it from the technical side.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Johnny,

You were my idol when I was a kid.

You were very nice to me as a College player following you around Lakewood CC.

I would like to help you understand impact and the D-Plane.

502-417-4653

Anytime,

Brian

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Here is my translation of what he is saying:

Johnny Miller:
"....he is aiming left on wedges, he's sort of trying to cut them instead of trapping them in there."

Lots of great wedge players actually did draw their wedges. When you hit down on the ball, or think about trying to, "trapping" is a useful idea to some.

Lots of golfers think someone swinging left enough to zero out their resultant path is actually "cutting it."

DT hits almost all his iron shots either dead straight or slightly right-to-left, but I've heard Johnny say he hits a cut shot. Now he does with a Driver a lot, but irons just look that way.​

This is what Project 1.68 is all about. Eradicating as much "seems as if" from golf as possible. And then showing golf teachers, golfers, and even golf announcers what to do with the information.

Did anyone hear Frank Nabilo say "you hit a draw with an open face, you just come from the inside a little more than the face is open"....this and other comments shows me he is definitely getting more knowledge, from somewhere.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The "face is open on a draw" thing is VASTLY over stated.

The damn top of the D-Plane (THE REAL FACE) is closed to the bottom (THE REAL PATH).

Propagada 24/7

The "face is open on a draw" thing is VASTLY over stated.

The damn top of the D-Plane (THE REAL FACE) is closed to the bottom (THE REAL PATH).

Propagada 24/7

The comparison though is what is usually stated "to draw it shut the face and swing out to the right, roll them hands over"

So I take his comment to be a lot closer to the truth.

But doesn't it also have to be open to the target as well?

Aimed right of the target is a lot less confusing than open to the target, I think. "Open" in a lot of minds means a cut or fade or something. I think that's why there have been so many people who just can't wrap their minds around the concept; "So now, all of a sudden, an open face means a hook instead of a slice???"

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
No.

Closed to the path is WAY MORE accurate.

Tired of the propaganda 24/7

Yes. It's all assuming the shot went to the target. You can hit a great little draw that starts slightly left and stops 15 feet away. Was that face open? Too confusing. The one constant is closed to path.

Most of us around here 'get it' and we have you and this site to thank for that. But we are getting tired of listening to well paid announcers whose job it should be to understand and explain it 'get it wrong'.

Bmanz, just keep doing what you're doing and we thank you for keeping us well ahead of the curve.

US golf commentators are driving me nuts. Every shot is a swing analysis. They're ruining our game instead of growing it.

Imagine if every NBA game nearly every play they did a pass and shoot, slow motion analysis on each players motion....you wouldn't do it in baseball either, with pitches or batters.... Every throw in the NFL doesn't have the mechanics broken down either....Reason being it gets repetitive and boring as hell after a while... Do these golf jokers even realize there is a game going on out there, it would behoove them to call the game like they do in every other sport.... Especially since they don't have a clue what the hell they are talking about over 90% of the time.

Rant over.

I agree that closed to the path is absolutely a prerequisite for a center strike draw, but if the face is pointing at or left of the target as well you're hooking, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.