On the Range

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, okay, fellas/gals.... have you ever considered that I'm right and y'all are mostly wrong?

Pro golfers are like world class musicians .... they're beyond "feeel" and "athletics".... they're "artistic" !!!!

As artists of their trade, they only need "desire" to summon up their abilities. No "thinking", no "feeeling", no "science"... just pure "desire"!!!

I've achieved this higher state, but not in golf, and it took a huge commitment in time and labor. I won't tell you what it is but it does involve getting up on a stage and performing to an audience. Exhilarating!!!

If you've never achieved this higher state of existence in any endeavor, there's no use trying to explain it to you because you wouldn't understand. I shall never achieve this state in golf, but I try.... through a combination of kinesthetic proprioception plus scientific knowledge... while most of you search for that special "feeel"... oh well....

Be careful about speaking on behalf of artists, or explaining what artists do or don’t do.

My degree and formal training is in painting and sculpting. I’ve even been known to sell a few pieces over the years (I'm very big in the blind community :rolleyes:). It takes a mastery (or at least a thorough understanding) of the science of each medium to be able to produce “consistent art”. But knowing the science doesn’t make you an artist. Having a feel for what goes where, and when, and how is the determining criteria. There is no one way/formula to create art, it’s as individual as the person holding the brush, torch, instrument, or golf club.

Never poo-poo someone’s process if it yields results. That’s just Being an Artist 101.:)

C’mon, “desire” is as vague and esoteric as “feel”. IMO, desire is far more common a commodity than feel. The fact is you need all the tools.

Last edited:
S

SteveT

C’mon, “desire” is as vague and esoteric as “feel”. IMO, desire is far more common a commodity than feel. The fact is you need all the tools.

I agree, but at some point you must abandon yourself to your "art" and just let it flow naturally and with confidence. Searching for "feeel" is child's play.

As for "donkey show"... I see a lot of that on the golf course watching duffers searching for feeel and then swearing a lot ... donkeys all.

A true master/artist is someone who understands how it works at a subconscious level - below language, below intellect, below mental images. He just KNOWS and, yes Stevie, FEEEELS.

There ain't no scientists on the PGA Tour and there never will be. And the day a Tour pro becomes RELIANT on his teacher, is the beginning of the end.

Don't forget. There are a number of players on the Tour who "hate" the game. There just really, really good at it.

There only desire is to not have a real job.

Jwat

New
Did anyone notice the drill Aaron Baddaley was performing on the show where he completed his BS and then would drop his hands down to his waist? Then he would just reload from there and hit his shot. Sure seems like an anti tug drill.

I don't know which boring announcer was describing it, but said it was to help keep the club out front and not get it caught behind him.

7. Be able to play a lick, or at least produce "tour quality" shots for demonstration purposes.

I believe a good teacher should be able to look at the student and be able to tell him what he is doing wrong and then give him a description what he wants. I don't know if being able to demonstrate is a requirement to be a good teacher.

I remember watching a LPGA event and one of the players was with her teacher who was also her husband. They were on the range and he could hardly walk but he was a well know PGA player and he was giving her instructions. He could not demonstrate because of his age but she was listening very close.

Last edited:
7. Be able to play a lick, or at least produce "tour quality" shots for demonstration purposes.

I believe a good teacher should be able to look at the student and be able to tell him what he is doing wrong and then give him a description what he wants. I don't know if being able to demonstrate is a requirement to be a good teacher.

I remember watching a LPGA event and one of the players was with her teacher who was also her husband. They were on the range and he could hardly walk but he was a well know PGA player and he was giving her instructions. He could not demonstrate because of his age but she was listening very close.

It was probably Gardner Dickinson giving lessons to his much younger wife Judy Dickinson.

Moving away briefly from equine entertainment.
Brian
#4 - When you first started working with David Toms, were you nervous given what you posted about it being a one-shot deal and you'd better get it right pronto? Interested in your feelings as you started that process...
Thanks

Burner

New
Okay, okay, fellas/gals.... have you ever considered that I'm right and y'all are mostly wrong?

I've achieved this higher state, but not in golf, and it took a huge commitment in time and labor. I won't tell you what it is but it does involve getting up on a stage and performing to an audience. Exhilarating!!!

You still Pole Dancing Steve? :D

Did anyone notice the drill Aaron Baddaley was performing on the show where he completed his BS and then would drop his hands down to his waist? Then he would just reload from there and hit his shot. Sure seems like an anti tug drill.

I don't know which boring announcer was describing it, but said it was to help keep the club out front and not get it caught behind him.

I think it was Baddely hitting balls with just the right arm too. Don't know if it helps with the tug, but it has helped me in getting a better hand path into impact--like Brian's ball bouncing/ball skipping drill.

Brian Manzella

Administrator

No doubt about it.

You are correct Sir!

But I wasn't talking about being a good teacher, I was talking about be the best ever.

The world is full of good teachers.

Brian
#4 - When you first started working with David Toms, were you nervous given what you posted about it being a one-shot deal and you'd better get it right pronto? Interested in your feelings as you started that process...
Thanks

No.

When I started working with David in 1988 I was more sure of myself then I was now.

He played better right away.

Boy o boy, that was a long time ago.....

"David, that's all the hip turn you have......really??"

I think it was Baddely hitting balls with just the right arm too. Don't know if it helps with the tug, but it has helped me in getting a better hand path into impact--like Brian's ball bouncing/ball skipping drill.

Right arm only drill will help 80% of golfers.

That's high percentage for ANY drill.

ZAP

New
That show continues to disappoint. I keep hoping they will get better since it is new. With snow on the ground there is not much else to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.