Over/Under on Wins for Tiger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, you're right, I'm wrong. Tiger doesn't win too often on the same courses. I'm not a tiger hater at all. But he can win Torrey, Bay Hill, and Muirfield with any swing he wants. He'll have to win majors again to be onside red fully back.

What other player playing today can you point out would be a likely winner on their "familiar" golf course? Well that's an easy question because the answer would be nobody. But somehow when one and only one player is able to dominate on a variety of "familiar" courses his victory has to have an asterisk. If only he could win on a strange course. How about can anybody else win on a familiar course?

What other player playing today can you point out would be a likely winner on their "familiar" golf course? Well that's an easy question because the answer would be nobody. But somehow when one and only one player is able to dominate on a variety of "familiar" courses his victory has to have an asterisk. If only he could win on a strange course. How about can anybody else win on a familiar course?

I agree. I think the point is that- yes, we accept Tiger is in a league of his own, and he’s just THAT much better than everyone else on the Tour right now. There is no denying he is the best player in the world for the last year given the number of wins and the quality of the field when he wins. However, looking at Tiger’s game objectively his next level of progression is winning a Major which he hasn’t done since 2008.

Best putter of all time. Must be.

Unbelievable will to win, enormous amount of talent.

But the only reason he actually wins is his ability to hit that funny "stinger" thing straight as a dye, which goes far enough to get the job done on these shorter par 4s. Especially when you can hole it more often than 100% of your competitors. But, hey, "it's not how, it's how many" as the Trev man used to say.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator

Dustin Johnson at Pebble, easy answer.

If you're going to obsess about the word familiar, I'll change it to favorite. I also never said it has to have an asterisk, not sure where you got that. When a course is either unfamiliar, punishes poor driving, or has greens that he doesn't know he comes back to the field. What can't you see about that? Never said he wasn't the best player out there, or all time for that matter. If you're his PR guy, I apologize for saying he's unbeatable on his favorite courses.

Tiger guys, why isn't it enough that you love the guy, the game, the genius? Why the need to want everyone else to do the same? And why is the only reason you can come up with when some one doesn't share your infatuation is that it MUST be some the socially ignorant reason?

Dustin Johnson at Pebble, easy answer.

If you're going to obsess about the word familiar, I'll change it to favorite. I also never said it has to have an asterisk, not sure where you got that. When a course is either unfamiliar, punishes poor driving, or has greens that he doesn't know he comes back to the field. What can't you see about that? Never said he wasn't the best player out there, or all time for that matter. If you're his PR guy, I apologize for saying he's unbeatable on his favorite courses.

You were probably shocked when DJ missed the cut at Pebble this year. You can throwout every victory Tiger has had on his favorite courses and he still has more victories than anyone playing. Many on courses that were unfamiliar.

But as a tournament golfer don't you try to familiarize yourself with whatever course that you are competing on and then hit shots to best attack the course? It takes both knowledge and execution. If presented with a major tournament on a new venue I doubt that Tiger would play without properly preparing himself to compete. He loses golf tournaments due to poor execution not because he is unfamiliar with a course.

I do love Tiger the golfer. I imagine someday kids will ask me what it was like to get to watch him play, I wanna appreciate the game he puts on display while it's here, because once he's gone he's gone. There won't be another like him for a long long time, I feel lucky to get to watch what he does. To see the struggle back to the mountaintop after all he went through... Lots of people wrote him off, and here he comes again.

Golf exposes your will and determination quite a bit and I think we are seeing that Tiger still has an edge over everyone else. It's a mental edge... and it's a big one.

To piggy back on Magic...^^^^^^

He is the rare combo of skill, determination and most importantly, an upbringing conducive to being a grinder.

I think in the end, the thing that will keep others from being "the" next Tiger is the simple fact he was not coddled as the rest of them are and will be. I am going to bet he was disciplined routinely by a father of Earl Woods background. Also, Tiger had the benefit of being part of, possibly, one of the last non-politically correct, play for a score and win generations.

Last edited:
Was there this much of a polarizing effect about Nicklaus? With Tiger it's almost cut and dried either love him or hate him. It's odd to me.

And Oklahoma Fats.

He stopped eating ice cream, became thin and was then beloved of the people.

It was actually Ohio Fats. Arnie was loved, Jack became respected. Tiger awes people with his ability but I don't think he'll ever be loved.

It was actually Ohio Fats. Arnie was loved, Jack became respected. Tiger awes people with his ability but I don't think he'll ever be loved.

Honestly, when I see Tiger always overhauling his swing and very visibly using different swing thoughts, I identify with that a lot. I go hey, he's doing the same thing as me (in a more sophisticated way, of course).

I can't be the only one who feels that way. Right?????

Another take on the Tiger debate: in my youth, I had idols, heros etc. like all boys in America, or anywhere i suppose. Now i see those attachments for what they were; a form of juvenile idolatry rooted in,not only my love of sports, but my cultural orientation, particularly parental and peer biases. It was a good thing too, I loved saying "Mickey Mantle" (Not quite Billy Crystal) Anyway as I've matured, uh aged, I no longer have suffer the hero worship and I don't make these characters out to be any more than what they are: the best in the world at what they do, well oiled machines, entities operating on a higher physical plane than the rest of us. Am I a "Tiger" fan? How could i be? Who the hell is Tiger? I might have been a Tiger "fan" 40/50 years ago, but do I enjoy watching the best player ever IMO, in full flight? Damn right I do. Nothing more than that. The body he inhabits, his personal world views, have no meaning to me whatsoever. In my youth I might have found a way to associate his swing or his putting with his soul, but, for better or worse, those days are gone. I'm a fan of my family, a few close friends, teaching golf, and very soon, a good night's sleep. Thx for letting me share.

Status
Not open for further replies.