PGA Tour Qualifying School

Status
Not open for further replies.
As people may know the q-school stages have begun and I'm curious to know people's thoughts.
1) Do you like the format?
2) Should they change the qualifying sites year to year?
3) Is the PGA Tour/FedEx Cup/Nationwide Tour system working?

Kevin Shields, may you also gives us your thoughts on last week? Obviously you would have liked to have gotten through but unfortunately wasn't the case.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I would like the format changed to a first stage site in the north in september. Its too southern biased. My season has ended and its always difficult to peak again for that event and to get used to the southern grasses in such a short period of time. If I played exactly the same as I did but the event was up here, I shoot 5-7 under instead of 5 over. Call me one dimensional but Im always 2-4 shots worse on bermuda

I would like the format changed to a first stage site in the north in september. Its too southern biased. My season has ended and its always difficult to peak again for that event and to get used to the southern grasses in such a short period of time. If I played exactly the same as I did but the event was up here, I shoot 5-7 under instead of 5 over. Call me one dimensional but Im always 2-4 shots worse on bermuda

Is it your iron game or short game that takes the biggest hit on bermuda?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Distance control at sea level and Bermuda lies greenside and speed/line putting. All adds up to about 2 or 3 shots a round no matter what I do. Shot 69 in the last round and still left a ton out there.

You're one dimensional.

" you do have all the characteristics of a dog, Gary"

I can relate to that. The transition from growing up in and around bent grass sand belt courses of Melbourne and then playing college golf in the southern states of the US, was a little difficult at first. Mostly trying to get used to chipping from the thick bermuda rough and the greens (grainy/slower).

Isn't it always sunny in Philly? Just assumed the same applied to Pitt. :)

The best prep for playing out of greenside bermuda... practice pitching from nests of steel wool, and practice chipping off Brillo pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.