PGA Tour Qualifying School

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only really had one experience with true bermuda greens, playing in Palm Coast, Florida for our NAIA National Championships. Took the entire week before I felt even remotely comfortable chipping and putting on those things. I have no issues with poa annua, but bermuda is a very different playing surface.

ZAP

New
Sounds familiar. I always thought I struggled to make a score on our spring trip due to simply being rusty. Always felt there was more to it than that. Then we took a trip in the fall and it took me a couple of days to feel like I could hit the ball like "normal".
Interesting.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
When you play a multi round, or 72 hole event where a stroke here or there means cash or qualifying, you obviously need to get every possible stroke out of your game. The monday qualifier for the Mylan Nationwide event was in Pittsburgh at a 6600yd par 70 course where we play some section events. On paper you would think 63 would qualify but both years i think 67 led and there was a ton of scores fro 72-74 from quality players. Many came up from the south to try and im sure they would say there was a serious adjustment to the grasses, slopes and speed of the greens.

I averaged 68.6 for the TriState section events this year. Largely because my wedges improved, I dont 3 putt, usually cover my 5 feet and in putts, have good distance control, etc. Whatever. But I averaged 72.2 in the Tour Qualifier because i had a 4 putt, five 3 putts, struggled with sea level distance control, caught 2 fliers, and planned for a few bermuda fliers that came out soft. All my fault. But anyone who plays alot of golf can see how those little things could add a few shots per round and in a 72 holes event all of a sudden you look like you cant play at all.

You guys been taking something?

On a less jovial note: Kevin, is it a lack of KNOWLEDGE on how to play bermuda, or a lack of PRACTICE? Swedes and Brits don't SEEM to have that much of an issue dealing with the changes (there is for sure no bermuda up there), so maybe there's some kind of "secret" to knowing how the ball's going to come out? I know it sounds silly, but you never know...

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
You guys been taking something?

On a less jovial note: Kevin, is it a lack of KNOWLEDGE on how to play bermuda, or a lack of PRACTICE? Swedes and Brits don't SEEM to have that much of an issue dealing with the changes (there is for sure no bermuda up there), so maybe there's some kind of "secret" to knowing how the ball's going to come out? I know it sounds silly, but you never know...

I dont really see how you can generalize that swedes and brits make the change easier. And if they do, it has to be because they can adjust to the speed of the slower greens.

For me, its just needing more time and familiarity to adjust. My entire game is built on a northeastern style of play.

Fair comment about generalising, but it does seem to me that you don't hear much of this mentioned amongst the players in Europe. There's a lot of bermuda grass in southern Europe.

I think the difficulty is playing competitively for 6 months on pure west P.A. bent and then hoping to get acclimated to southern textures in a short amount of time.

Surely Kevin, if you had had a full week to prep in or around the location, you would have been more comfortable. So, the challenge may have been having enough time to prepare. Fair to say?

Status
Not open for further replies.