Phil's WD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty lame excuse. If Tiger did the same thing the media would crucify him. It's not how a Hall of Famer should conduct himself.

ZAP

New
I just heard he withdrew. Need to hear more about it before I decide if he did the right thing or the wrong thing. he has had some health issues in the past so we will see.

According to Bubba cellphones are the culprit:rolleyes:. Yeah apparently mental fatigue is the main factor.

Last edited:

ZAP

New
It sounds like Phil is being Phil. He does a lot of stuff to make a point sometimes. Remember when he put that illegal wedge in his bag?

Or he could just be tired. Or he could just be a self centered jerk.

Remember reading someplace a couple of years ago that Phils nickname on tour was tigjam (think I'm great? Just ask me!) but then again game at that level takes a bit of ego...

Arrogant and selfish or not, I can't blame him for doing everything he can to be ready for the US Open. After all his disappointments he'll need all his faculties to be ready. He just turned 40, he may not have many more legitimate chances to get the job done.

ZAP

New
Arrogant and selfish or not, I can't blame him for doing everything he can to be ready for the US Open. After all his disappointments he'll need all his faculties to be ready. He just turned 40, he may not have many more legitimate chances to get the job done.

Totally agree. At the end of the day he has to decide what is best for himself and his game. Could he have faked it around tomorrow and went home? Probably. In retrospect it might have been the easier way out.

It's hard to believe that 18 holes on a great golf course tomorrow at 8:15am , will hurt his chances in a tournament that starts in 2 weeks.

I've only seen Tiger WD because of injuries. Not to rest up for another tournament. And yes, I do believe Tiger will make the Hall of Fame.

I've only seen Tiger WD because of injuries. Not to rest up for another tournament. And yes, I do believe Tiger will make the Hall of Fame.

1. Those must have been some injuries since Tiger won the '08 open on a torn ACL.
2. "Mental fatigue" is the closest to the truth we've ever heard for a guy WDing for a tourney.
3. 3 WDs in 456 starts vs 5 in 282.

I believe this is the first time he has ever WD from a tourney....you would think he has earned a little bit of slack.

My whole point was that Tiger would not get away with the excuse that Phil used, and Phil shouldn't either. Every week 3-4 guys withdraw after poor 1st rounds. How many does Daly have 20-30? I just think it shows a lack of character. Phil and Tiger doing it once every 5 years or so is not a big deal, but Phil's excuse was lame this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.