Phil's WD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think it was physical as well, he just didn't want to come out & say it.. A few times I watched him close and he wasn't moving very well. He had a hard time getting out ( physically ) of a couple bunkers that I noticed. Maybe that arthiritis condition was flaring? And maybe when that starts happening, you lose focus. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on this one...

My whole point was that Tiger would not get away with the excuse that Phil used, and Phil shouldn't either. Every week 3-4 guys withdraw after poor 1st rounds. How many does Daly have 20-30? I just think it shows a lack of character. Phil and Tiger doing it once every 5 years or so is not a big deal, but Phil's excuse was lame this week.

Let's compare the two, shall we...

Pre tournament presser, Player A says he's 100% and feels great. Player A withdraws, while not playing well, citing a neck injury. The player is taken directly to his car, and drives away without offering any explanations or taking questions.

Player B withdraws, after playing bad, citing fatigue. The player bypasses the parking lot, and goes directly to the media. He gives a thorough explanation and takes questions about his decision.

Player B plays the "honest card" and decides to take the criticism that will come with it by sticking around. Player A, not so much.

For the record... Jack withdrew from an event, without injury, 2 weeks before winning the '86 Masters. I think he understands.

Phil looked sick. He needs to take care of his mind and body first and forget what anyone else has to say. If you follow everyone else you'll be forever lost.

Most "normal" guys would struggle to play 2 weeks on the trot on the Tour. Its a draining experience. Folks that have never been there just don't understand how guys like Phil and Tiger are living. They are super human athletes and if Phil is knackered, let him go home and rest up. Anything else would be driving him to illness and ultimately to an early grave.

Most "normal" guys would struggle to play 2 weeks on the trot on the Tour. Its a draining experience. Folks that have never been there just don't understand how guys like Phil and Tiger are living. They are super human athletes and if Phil is knackered, let him go home and rest up. Anything else would be driving him to illness and ultimately to an early grave.

What he said.

Sorry. When I hear "super-human athlete" - I think of people running marathons at a pace faster than most of us could sustain for a lap of an athletics track, or cycling around France and over its mountains for 3 weeks at an average speed of 25mph. Or high jumping 8 feet in the air.

When doctors start studying golfers for the physiological secrets of playing golf everyday, I'll be more open to this argument.

As far as I'm concerned, Phil can WD if he thinks it's the right thing to do. Nobody died. He just doesn't need to justify himself as a "super-human athlete" to do so.

Sorry. When I hear "super-human athlete" - I think of people running marathons at a pace faster than most of us could sustain for a lap of an athletics track, or cycling around France and over its mountains for 3 weeks at an average speed of 25mph. Or high jumping 8 feet in the air.

When doctors start studying golfers for the physiological secrets of playing golf everyday, I'll be more open to this argument.

As far as I'm concerned, Phil can WD if he thinks it's the right thing to do. Nobody died. He just doesn't need to justify himself as a "super-human athlete" to do so.

You one of these guys who always wants schientific proof birly me old codge? Sometimes its better just to believe. Science is overrated.

Let's compare the two, shall we...
<snip>
Yes, lets...
Tiger:
73 PGA Tour wins (96 total), 28 2nd place finishes, 17 3rd place finishes, 171 top 10 finishes, 283 events played, 264 cuts made, $97,781,592 career earnings ($115,618,045 total)
14 Majors

Phil:
NOTE: I can't find a reliable source for Phil's international record and earnings
40 PGA Tour wins, 26 2nd place finishes, 22 3rd place finishes, 163 top 10 finishes, 456 events played, 381 cuts made, $66,279,655 career earnings
4 Majors

All the Phil love is understandable - he's an all-time great player - but the Tiger hate is curious. Yes, more understandable after Bimbogate but still, the same guys that crushed El Tigre for quitting last year, give Phil a pass, citing how "sick" he looked and how "honest" he was in quitting after a bad round. Please...he quit, plain and simple, citing "mental fatigue". Sorry, no style points for quitting. That goes for Tiger or any other PGA pro, unless there's a legitimate injury.

Tiger is one of the two greatest golfers of all time and he's far and away the best golfer of his era. That alone should earn him some respect but not so much with a lot of folks. Again, the hate is more understandable after Bimbogate but...there's no comparison between their careers - it's not even close. Tiger has more than three times the majors and almost twice as many PGA tour wins in 173 less PGA tour events than Phil. And if he manages to break Jack's majors total - it's a long shot now - he will lap Phil in major victories and probably career wins again AFTER Bimbogate. But my guess is that people will continue to crush him for slights real and imagined.

Yes, lets...
Tiger:
73 PGA Tour wins (96 total), 28 2nd place finishes, 17 3rd place finishes, 171 top 10 finishes, 283 events played, 264 cuts made, $97,781,592 career earnings ($115,618,045 total)
14 Majors

Phil:
NOTE: I can't find a reliable source for Phil's international record and earnings
40 PGA Tour wins, 26 2nd place finishes, 22 3rd place finishes, 163 top 10 finishes, 456 events played, 381 cuts made, $66,279,655 career earnings
4 Majors

All the Phil love is understandable - he's an all-time great player - but the Tiger hate is curious. Yes, more understandable after Bimbogate but still, the same guys that crushed El Tigre for quitting last year, give Phil a pass, citing how "sick" he looked and how "honest" he was in quitting after a bad round. Please...he quit, plain and simple, citing "mental fatigue". Sorry, no style points for quitting. That goes for Tiger or any other PGA pro, unless there's a legitimate injury.

Tiger is one of the two greatest golfers of all time and he's far and away the best golfer of his era. That alone should earn him some respect but not so much with a lot of folks. Again, the hate is more understandable after Bimbogate but...there's no comparison between their careers - it's not even close. Tiger has more than three times the majors and almost twice as many PGA tour wins in 173 less PGA tour events than Phil. And if he manages to break Jack's majors total - it's a long shot now - he will lap Phil in major victories and probably career wins again AFTER Bimbogate. But my guess is that people will continue to crush him for slights real and imagined.

What are you on? Seriously. Did you even read the thread? What is goin on around here???

Did YOU read the thread? You need to step up your reading comprehension. The original post referenced both Tiger and Phil.

The thread is not about Tigers accomplishments vs Phils accomplishments. It's about how the two go about WDing from a tournament. At least that's what mgranato was refering to in his post that mkemble took issue with. WTF does Tigers more impressive resume have to do with WDing? F6ck am I way off base here?? Anybody??

They both withdraw so rarely that this shouldn't be much of an issue. Even if they both WD from the same tournament for the same reason (suppose poor play) it should come as NO surprise to anyone that they would go about it differently after making that decision. After all, they have handled the media as differently as night and day for how long....?

The thread is not about Tigers accomplishments vs Phils accomplishments. It's about how the two go about WDing from a tournament. At least that's what mgranato was refering to in his post that mkemble took issue with. WTF does Tigers more impressive resume have to do with WDing? F6ck am I way off base here?? Anybody??

I'm with you, man. Is it possible to have a gas leak over the internet? :)

While I appreciate a good research job, Mkemble could've saved himself a lot of clicks by just stating "Tiger has a better career than Phil". No one in their right mind would argue otherwise, or has as far as I can tell.

I think this was about a WD and how each player gets "treated", maybe it's changed???

Status
Not open for further replies.