Phil's WD

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thread is not about Tigers accomplishments vs Phils accomplishments. It's about how the two go about WDing from a tournament. At least that's what mgranato was refering to in his post that mkemble took issue with. WTF does Tigers more impressive resume have to do with WDing? F6ck am I way off base here?? Anybody??
I was trying to make two points in response to the OP and used mgranato's post as a starting point.
One: There were folks in the thread tyring to make excuses for Phil quitting, all the while bashing Tiger for quitting. Quitting is quitting - there's no "right" way. Based on your response, I'm guessing you don't believe that's the case. So be it. And of course withdrawing with an injury is not quitting.

Two: As a follow-on thought, I questioned why Tiger, one of the two greatest golfers of all time, gets hated on so hard, even given his 2009 meltdown. I compared Phil, who gets a ton of love and was the subject of the OP, with Tiger to illustrate that point. The hate level for Tiger is off the charts despite his golfing accomplishments, and the love for Phil is borderline over the top.

Why some folks have to make Phil into a saint and Tiger into the devil is beyond me. Maybe people want to make it into a rivalry, good versus evil kind of thing, but when it's all said and done, even if Tiger never wins another tournament, it's no comparison. That's not a knock on Phil, it just shows you how great Tiger was (and may still be??). Anyway, I enjoy watching both and when either one of them are in contention on a Sunday, it's must see T.V.

Why some folks have to make Phil into a saint and Tiger into the devil is beyond me. Maybe people want to make it into a rivalry, good versus evil kind of thing, but when it's all said and done, even if Tiger never wins another tournament, it's no comparison. That's not a knock on Phil, it just shows you how great Tiger was (and may still be??).

This is right on the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.