Pivot like a madman

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've all heard the Bman's opinion on the crazy pivot. BUT, don't you guys think that when you whack that mofa 320 out there into
oblivion that you FEEL like you pivoted like a mad crazy gaga cat?

We've all heard the Bman's opinion on the crazy pivot. BUT, don't you guys think that when you whack that mofa 320 out there into
oblivion that you FEEL like you pivoted like a mad crazy gaga cat?

Only when I don't drag the club head behind.

The harder i pivot, the harder i have to "brake." Figured out that out years ago but didn't know the "why" until B-man.

This is kind of what I mean Jim. There is more than just a "stop" thro impact. There is an active pivot, right? So when you brake you can brake too much or too little. What kind of numbers do you get when you brake too much?

Sequencing the pelvis, torso and arms is huge, at least for me. I think I've identified the following:

Too little pelvis pivot or too late in the dowswing=too much too soon torso and arms= left to left or straight pull if I can "save" it with the hands.

Too much/too far or too early pelvis = too late torso and arms = right to right or push

Correct sequence of pelvis and opening to a point = great positioning for the torso to pull on = the feeling of "pivot hard through impact" = swing as hard as I want = pretty dead on target (still learning distance control with it, though)

Nice one spk. Very much in the vein of how I was thinking about it.

So, taking an ideal scenario, pivoting (in particular the shoulders) through impact is desirable and necessary, right?

What do you consider "pivot"? The thorax needs to be gaining on the pelvis at impact. If the pelvis isn't playing along, everyone loses. :)

...The thorax needs to be gaining on the pelvis at impact....

Maybe, maybe not. Well in advance of impact for sure, the thorax needs to be gaining on the pelvis.

But what about immediately before and immediately after impact? IF this gain is still in progress around impact is it an absolute acceleration, or a relative acceleration. And if it's a relative acceleration is it an absolute deceleration?

And if it's an absolute deceleration, what causes it?

Maybe, maybe not. Well in advance of impact for sure, the thorax needs to be gaining on the pelvis.

But what about immediately before and immediately after impact? IF this gain is still in progress around impact is it an absolute acceleration, or a relative acceleration. And if it's a relative acceleration is it an absolute deceleration?

And if it's an absolute deceleration, what causes it?

By "gaining" I'm referring to the rotational values. If you're talking about speed, they both should be decelerating from their peaks by impact.

By "gaining" I'm referring to the rotational values. If you're talking about speed, they both should be decelerating from their peaks by impact.

Yep, but is the shoulder in a gradual deceleration from its peak, or in a deceleration which at some point need to become an acceleration. In addition to this, as mentioned in my original point, it sure doesn't feel like a deceleration when you blast one out there.

I've been experimenting with the idea of pivot decel for at least 10 years and I find many contradictions in the hypothesis of deliberate pivot deceleration. I find almost as many in the hypothesis of pivot acceleration admittedly.

Just listened to GMac talking about how he hits it with his body rotation. If he wants to hit it further he speeds up his body rotation. I'd love to get to the bottom of this pivot mystery, but if I did, I'd be the first. I think EVERYONE is confused on this issue. So, BMan and Co, there's the holy grail, no?

My very first golf teacher taught me to "pigeon toe" the front foot. Then you can turn as hard as you want to and you'll snap the kinetic squence just right.

Let's put this into the most simple terms possible for a complex issue:

Are you trying to slow the pivot in a full-bloodied driver or not?

IMO, no. You want segment decels, but good luck getting them by trying to "slow" each segment down in a 1/4 of a second.

Instead of trying to decel, try to accelerate the appropriate segment at the appropriate time, which will cause the preceding segment to decel (and sometimes even reverse in direction).

Status
Not open for further replies.