POLL - Anchoring putters to the body

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I am not for them personally, but the only one I have a real problem with is the belly putter. If you don't have the confidence to putt with a real putter, you'll never be that good anyway.

IMO, wherever the putter is anchored, you can still make a bad read, and you can still make a bad stroke. So while it may offer some help, is it any worse than changing the characteristics of a club by adding lead tape to offset a tendency to have a clubface that's too open/closed at impact? I would have a problem with that or with adjustable drivers first (which I don't, btw).

Ernie Els before 2011: "anchoring a putter to your body is cheating." EE about 2 months ago: using a belly putter.
Maybe we should consider using a Trackman or a video camera an 'unfair advantage'...or a lesson from a good teacher..info from a forum?
Graphite shafts? etc..
Why not just celebrate variations and Man's use of better tools?
I am FOR, of course. Do what it takes to enjoy the game more and play better.

Ernie Els before 2011: "anchoring a putter to your body is cheating." EE about 2 months ago: using a belly putter.
Maybe we should consider using a Trackman or a video camera an 'unfair advantage'...or a lesson from a good teacher..info from a forum?
Graphite shafts? etc..
Why not just celebrate variations and Man's use of better tools?
I am FOR, of course. Do what it takes to enjoy the game more and play better.

Well shit, let's just play golf on an xbox. Lol

Well shit, let's just play golf on an xbox. Lol

Oh it's already starting... Just a few suggestions going around to make the game more enjoyable:

Tee it Forward
Bigger ball
Smaller ball
No stroke and distance penalty
12" diameter holes
2 holes on each green (easy and hard)
Separate rules for ams/pros

At least on the Xbox I can play Augusta.

While those are great ideas to keep learning golfers having fun and in the game, they are NOT "legal" while the anchored putter IS.
Is Augusta on XBOX?! I gotta get that!

I would vote against, but would not fault anyone for using one in the meantime if it gave them an advantage. Hopefully they'll add a rule at some point, but I'm not too passionate about the topic one way or another.

Doesn't bother me either way. There's nothing in the record books that suggest it creates a fundamental advantage. If it did, stigma be damned, guys would flock to it. IMO, there are many critical factors in becoming a good putter before the putter is ever pulled back. The tool and method are just the easiest to see on TV.

I guess there's something in the record books, now. Stigma be damned. HEADLINE- PGA Won w/ Belly Putter!!! Looks like Phil has decided to give it a try, too. What do I know, though?

You're saying that constitutes a "fundamental advantage"? One major? Actually, I'm not sure what you're saying. Go slower.

Poulter tweeted this earlier today "Everybody on the putting green right now have belly putter, where is it going should they be banned? Stricker & myself about to change it". Interesting that the pros are chiming in, even if tounge and cheek.

But if they even think someone has an unfair advantage...then they have to try it too! Lol. Funny thing is I don't think it's an unfair advantage for everyone. For some it doesn't work one iota.

On a separate note I think it's time to stock up on some belly putters for the golf shop!!

Belly putters are “no' golf.”

We can do lots of things via equipment and course changes to make golf easier but they wouldn't improve the game. Golf, as is, gives me a reason to drink and that's good enough for me.

You're saying that constitutes a "fundamental advantage"? One major? Actually, I'm not sure what you're saying. Go slower.
I'm simply saying that the PGA win dilutes your assertion that there is (was) nothing in the record books to support an advantage. Mechanically speaking, it is an irrefutable fact that anchoring the lever is more efficient and allows for a more consistently repeatable stroke. Assuming a player can read a green worth a damn, the 'anchored' putter, especially the belly putter, provides an advantage. On the pristine greens on the PGA Tour, all they have to do is get a putt started on line. The anchored putter practically eliminates face angle issues, but I know results are not automatic. A player has to develop the technique required to use it. At the end of the day, putting is all about confidence and feel. But, in my opinion, the anchored putter should not be allowed. If this is too fast, I'm sorry. Maybe you can have someone read it to you.

I'm simply saying that the PGA win dilutes your assertion that there is (was) nothing in the record books to support an advantage. Mechanically speaking, it is an irrefutable fact that anchoring the lever is more efficient and allows for a more consistently repeatable stroke. Assuming a player can read a green worth a damn, the 'anchored' putter, especially the belly putter, provides an advantage. On the pristine greens on the PGA Tour, all they have to do is get a putt started on line. The anchored putter practically eliminates face angle issues, but I know results are not automatic. A player has to develop the technique required to use it. At the end of the day, putting is all about confidence and feel. But, in my opinion, the anchored putter should not be allowed. If this is too fast, I'm sorry. Maybe you can have someone read it to you.

By this logic doesn't the advantage go to the short/conventional putter? 1 belly win versus major championship history doesn't really seem to prove the point very well. Now if it was 2 wins you'd have an irrefutable fact on your hands.:)

So much to disagree with about what makes a good putter, but that's a whole 'nother thread. Thanks for taking the time to break it down for me. Momma always said readin' wasn't my best "R".

hp12c

New
What is the opinion of our fellow forum members

For or against putters that are anchored to the players body?

I am against. Specifically the belly putter.

The Adam Scott thread inspired me to ask.

Long, short, boat anchor Whatever gets the pill in the hole,the stigma of long putters is slowly going away due to younger player using them early in their careers.

Side saddle! It will be in vogue in a couple of years. Putters such as "Juanputt" (the guy who invented the speed stik) has made a really nice, balanced putter intended for side saddle putting. It is awesome.

I'm a rotten putter. I'm better than most ams, but not very good for a decent pro and I absolutely love to putt this way now. I'm excited to putt, rather than scared to putt.

It's not anchored to the body in my case.

I've been worried about this for the last 20 years since I have been using one since then. I heard the Euro Challenge Tour has banned them for next year (bs?). Everyone I know who putts side-saddle rips it up too. That method has the most advantages IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.