POLL - Anchoring putters to the body

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any truth to the idea of using a long/belly putter to help you develop a new perspective on what a repeating and/or proper swinging of a putter should look like? I recall Pelz saying that using a long putter was a good way to improve your stroke with your standard length putter.

Personally I was never big on the belly or long putter and thought they were borderline illegal. But - after being in a 2 month putting funk, I experimented with the belly on the practice green last weekend after another abysmal putting performance on the course. In my first (and only) round since then I put the belly putter in the bag and made a boatload of putts. It could be placebo effect and I know I'll probably use a standard length putter again at some point, but just seeing a few 20 footers go in changed my whole attitude and perspective.

Last edited:
Any truth to the idea of using a long/belly putter to help you develop a new perspective on what a repeating and/or proper swinging of a putter should look like? I recall Pelz saying that using a long putter was a good way to improve your stroke with your standard length putter.

Personally I was never big on the belly or long putter and thought they were borderline illegal. But - after being in a 2 month putting funk, I experimented with the belly on the practice green last weekend after another abysmal putting performance on the course. In my first (and only) round since then I put the belly putter in the bag and made a boatload of putts. It could be placebo effect and I know I'll probably use a standard length putter again at some point, but just seeing a few 20 footers go in changed my whole attitude and perspective.

I believe that it helps people make more putts for sure. Everyone I know who uses one putts well and better than they had with the short putter.

Is a putter considered "anchored" if it is only held in the hands, and no part of the putter is touching any other part of the body other than the hands?

In the interest of full disclosure

I've counted putting as one (maybe the only) strong part of my game, but 2 weeks ago I started tinkering with a long putter. Not for any other reason than I can practice with it and not feel a thing in the back. And I have to say, now that I'm out there - I'm loving every minute of it. The freedom, the jokes, the laughs, but most of all the putts. Loving it I tell ya.

I've counted putting as one (maybe the only) strong part of my game, but 2 weeks ago I started tinkering with a long putter. Not for any other reason than I can practice with it and not feel a thing in the back. And I have to say, now that I'm out there - I'm loving every minute of it. The freedom, the jokes, the laughs, but most of all the putts. Loving it I tell ya.

Say it isn't so....

I just scanned the thread, so I'm sorry if this question is redundant: But, how would we classify what Kuchar does? He doesn't anchor the belly putter in his body, but up his arm. Technically, I guess I could do this with a shorter putter if I wanted to bend over more. What does everyone think of that move?

It's similar to the Langer method of the '90's.....I feel like if it's anchored anywhere (arm, belly, chest) it's anchored. That being said, I have no problem with it. The longer putter has been in play basically since I started playing golf and if they didn't ban it 25 years ago it would be kinda hard to do it now.

As long as it is not breaking the rules, go with it.

I used a long putter from 2000-2002 and it was very difficult to get the putts close from a longer distance away from the hole. Also, the putter head was harder to keep on-line in the backstroke. However, using it improved the tempo of my putting stroke so much that when I went back to the short putter, things were much better than they had ever been.

Another thing, my experiment with the long putter had nothing to do with having a hard time putting. I had just always been fascinated with the dang thing. The improved tempo has been a great blessing to come out of using it. In fact, in the spring, I will practice with it for the purpose of getting that tempo back in the groove.

Are you using the full broomstick?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I have a few comments, preface to them that the best thing i do is putt. First time i went to see Brian he had me putt and said "i'm not touching that." So, i think i'm OK at it ;).

1) If it is within the rules, use it. We use big drivers, spinny wedges (until banned), hybrids, and most of us don't use blades anymore to all try and score better so why not?

2) I can putt with about anything, but do have my preferences. However if a change works FOR YOU, go for it. Whatever lowers your scores within the rules is all that matters even if people laugh at you. I made my first putter switch in about 6-7 years to a 2 ball backstryke putter last week. Looks weird, people initially laughed until i started draining putts and/or putting it really close. Why did i change? I saw the design and thought that i could putt better with it and tried it out, sank so many in practice i bought it. Tried it out on a few rounds and magic didn't go away.

I messed with a long putter for a short time a few years ago but found out I was missing more short putts with it than with the conventional length putter. Go figure.

My second round using the belly putter will be this weekend. I figure it will take 6 or 7 rounds to see if the initial positive results were simply due to mixing things up.

I'm still curious as to whether anyone has switched to the long or belly style due to struggles with the conventional putter, and eventually returned to a conventional length putter (and did it help their performance with the "standard" putter)?

Hypocrisy at it's highest level

A man who stands and shouts "CHEATER" from the mountain top must be able to admit weakness and endure whatever punishment follows.

I have notoriously been a better ball striker than my scores would indicate. It is very common for me to hit 11 fairways, 14 greens and shoot 74-78. Sure, I'll have my rounds in the upper 60's where I dominate the par 5's and make zero tee to green mistakes, but most who play with me agree that my putting holds me back.

Being a traditionalist, I abhor the anchored putter. I started this "poll" originally in the hopes to find like minded folks to cement my position and strengthen me in my stance as I knew I was becoming increasingly desperate to putt better. Recently, two of my favorite players - Els and Price (traditionalists) have made the move to the belly putter and I started to question my own position.

10 days ago, after having the best month of ball striking in my golfing life, I caved into temptation. I purchased a belly putter and had it fitted. I researched proper fitting technique and stroke technique before ever touching one. In the dark of the night without anyone and I mean anyone knowing, I put that foul 41 and 5/8 inch putter against my mid section and began practicing. I spent about 2 hours with it before putting it in play.

Last Thursday was my first round with "it". After taking an onslaught of scarlet letter type persecution on the putting green from the 11 other players in my pot game, I calmly went out and dropped a 69 on them with 29 putts. Oh, the texts that night poured in from everywhere spewing venomous chants of hypocrisy. Monday, I played with the same crew and again I shot 69 with 29 putts.

All I can ask is for forgiveness, but seeing the line on my ball track perfect and the ball going in the hole from outside 8 feet is worth any lashing I get.

Lastly, using a belly putter is "cheating". It is definitely a mechanical advantage and should be banned as I am now convinced more than ever. Shame on the USGA for not recognizing this truth years ago. If they outlaw them, which I support, I will gladly come back to my "shortie yo", but until then I am locked and bellied,

Warmest regrets,

Lindsey

Last edited:

Jwat

New
Damn Lindsey, never thought of you as a conformist. But back to back 69's, you got to keep it locked and bellied. Due to the expense, I have to keep rockin my custom Edel shortie and hope to sniff a 69 soon.

Lindsey,

Have you tried to incorporate the belly "motion of the club" into what you do when using a traditional "non anchored" putter?

Since you're going to be cheating for the forseeable future anyway - are you going to stick with the belly putter, or are you going to give a full brookhandle a go too?

Status
Not open for further replies.