Pressure Points...and a "Pressure Point Primer" by Brian Manzella

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dariusz J.

Brian, Gents:

I have a question. Sorry if it is naive for most of you, but I want it clear.

#1 PP is using the heel of the right hand where it touches either the left hand thumb;
#2 PP is using the last three fingers of the left hand;
#3 PP is the first joint of the right hand trigger index finger where it touches the clubshaft;
#4 PP is the straight left arm when in contact with the left side of the body.

Assuming it's a correct description I'd like to ask what are all 4 PPs responsible for in the swing. What I have already noticed is:

- when using #1 it's easier to bring an open face to impact;
- when using #2 it's easier to create bigger shaft angle during downswing;
- when using #3 it's easier to lag the sweetspot instead lagging the hosel.

I'd also be grateful what are the best drills to train them. I have sort of problem with feeling them without gripping the club tightly, what I dislike.

Cheers

tank

New
I think:

The pressure points are what you feel or sense during your downswing, as opposed to actions that you perform. Depending on the characteristics of your setup & swing, you might sense some more than others.

You may be mistakenly relating pressure points with power accumulators ... i.e.
1. bending and straightening the right arm
2. cocking and uncocking the left wrist
3. rolling of arms
4. increasing shoulder/arm angle

This is coming from a TGM newbie, so take it with a grain of salt.

Dariusz J.

Naaah, I watched Brian's excellent video lesson about all 4 Power Accumulators. Pressure Points are something different and I think I did not make mistakes in my post...

Anyone ?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Pressure Point Primer by Brian Manzella

Brian, Gents:

I have a question. Sorry if it is naive for most of you, but I want it clear.

#1 PP is using the heel of the right hand where it touches either the left hand thumb;
#2 PP is using the last three fingers of the left hand;
#3 PP is the first joint of the right hand trigger index finger where it touches the clubshaft;
#4 PP is the straight left arm when in contact with the left side of the body.

Assuming it's a correct description I'd like to ask what are all 4 PPs responsible for in the swing. What I have already noticed is:

- when using #1 it's easier to bring an open face to impact;
- when using #2 it's easier to create bigger shaft angle during downswing;
- when using #3 it's easier to lag the sweetspot instead lagging the hosel.

I'd also be grateful what are the best drills to train them. I have sort of problem with feeling them without gripping the club tightly, what I dislike.

Cheers

PRESSURE POINT PRIMER BY Brian Manzella, PGA, G.S.E.D.

You can't move anything without pressure.

And, to create that pressure—usually—an angle that has been created is either: "un-angling," i.e. trying to straighten, or trying to create movement STILL "angled."

So....(with apologies and attribution)

You are in a grocery store with a shopping cart. You put you hands on the handle of the cart ready to start "walking the aisles." Your hands may have some INCIDENTAL PRESSURE, but no "real" pressure on your hands.

You then start walking. There NOW is pressure on your hands!

What put it there?

Not the hands.

The FEET.

The walking created pressure, because the cart has inertia, and doesn't want to move, and although it is designed to roll, is not self-propelled.

So....

You can increase the pressure by running, and if you slow down very gradually, you can maintain the pressure. If you stop running quickly, you'll have a runaway cart.

But....

What are you trying to DO with the cart in a golf swing analogy?

You are trying to use the front of the cart, to hit a light, large round rubber ball—about 5 foot around—as far as possible with the cart.

How do you do it? Do you?...

1. Do you run fast (creating lots of pressure on the hands) and keep running "through" the ball?

2. Do you run fast and right before you hit the ball STOP running and let the cart hit the ball with its own momentum?

3. Or, do you run fast and right before you hit the ball, you straighten you arms really hard and throw the cart into the ball?​

If you take "cart ball" lessons from Brian Manzella, you do #3.

So....

We have raised a lot of questions in this little treatise. Let's start by answering them.

When we starting walking, the pressure was created in the hands, although the force was the feet.

First of all, there was pressure in the feet FIRST. They had to push into the ground. Second, as far as relating all of this to golf, the hands on the shopping cart would be the FOUR TGM pressure points. The feet waling would be the pivot.

There is a bunch of folks in golf instruction-land that say you move the hands first and then the feet (pivot) would respond.

Baloney!

The cart would get away from you right from the start.​

Ok...

What about the cart-hitting-ball analogy. Relate that one to the golf swing.

If you kept running and "ran through" impact, you'd have a good strike, but not near your maximum.

If you just stopped, you would probably get the same result if the ball were close to the stoppage, but lose speed if it were further away.

So, the extra push from the straightening arms—at the last second, so to speak—that would create a runaway cart if done to soon (throwaway), if timed just right, and assisted by the "push off" of the body itself, would create the most speed in our example.

Too early, the speed increase would be negated. Too late, would not give time enough for the "speed-up." Just right and BAM!​

I am pretty sure you wouldn't—or couldn't—get that answer anywhere but here. ;)

Dariusz J.

Ingenious comparison!

If I read between verses correctly, noone should worry about the very pressure points - but just about hitting the big rubber ball (our small white ball) with the cart (our clubhead) correctly, i.e. using a force by running feet pressure (our golf pivot) and exactly while our arms are in the process of straightening (luckily, the same in golf :) ).

Would it mean also that if someone loses the feel of any of pressure points at impact the "runaway cart" scenario is happening ?

Molto grazie, Brian !

Brian Manzella

Administrator
:)

Ingenious comparison!

Thank You. (Brian Manzella, Wonderlic score: 41) :D

If I read between verses correctly, noone should worry about the very pressure points - but just about hitting the big rubber ball (our small white ball) with the cart (our clubhead) correctly, i.e. using a force by running feet pressure (our golf pivot) and exactly while our arms are in the process of straightening (luckily, the same in golf :) ).

Not exactly.

If you are PIVOTING correctly, you WILL have #4 Pressure Point Pressure, because your PIVOT is MOVING a RESISTING left arm.

So "monitoring" your #4 Pressure point would tell you if your "PIVOT is MOVING a RESISTING left arm" or you have arm-moving-the-arms syndrome.

You should have #3 Pressure Point pressure if you are rotating the left arm correctly, AND if you are "ahead" of the clubhead.

You should have #1 Pressure Point pressure if you have a straightening right arm.

Monitoring any of these are great—if doing that helps you, as a drill or playing. I rarely mention them in my teaching—directly. ;)

Would it mean also that if someone loses the feel of any of pressure points at impact the "runaway cart" scenario is happening ?

I say....it matters a lot more before release point.

rcw

New
NICE

Great post Brian. That is a very good description and wonderful comparison.

Chris

BTW I hope you have your tix for the game, maybe i will see you there!

Wow

That was an incredible lesson, one of the best I've ever seen (not just golf related) at making a complex concept accessible to everyone. Thank you Brian and Happy New Year!

Neat. Well I learned something.
--------------------------------------
[EDIT]

BRIAN U DA MAN.

Last edited:

JRJ

New
Grocery Store Metaphor

I can't tell you how glad I am I found this site...brilliant metaphor

or maybe it's more of a simile - "golf is like grocery shopping" (sounds like the working title of a Manzella book or video) :)

JRJ

rwh

New
To get more speed . . .?

Brian,

To develop maximum clubhead speed, should we monitor body/arm speed or the "amount" of pressure in the pressure points
icon5.gif

Normally, I would just try to move everything faster, but now I'm getting the idea that we should be monitoring the amount of pressure.

Last edited:

Chris Sturgess

I like the shopping cart analogy. It is even better than the air craft carrier moving through the water, with a flat bed truck driving on top of it going even faster, with a motorcycle driving on the flat bed going even faster. The shopping cart analogy is especially great because it brings timing more into play and everyone goes grocery shopping and can relate. I am going to destroy the produce section with my shopping cart tomorrow by running and then straightening my arms at the last second, or maybe I will take a page out of Jim Flick's book straighten my arms first then take one step and and just let the cart coast lightly so I don't damage any cantaloupes.

Status
Not open for further replies.