Pressure Points...and a "Pressure Point Primer" by Brian Manzella

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must say I laughed out load.... I'm signing up for Golf Cart lessons! Loved the analogy. I'm stealing that goodie. Of course, I give credit where it's due and a ton (96%) has been going Brian's way.

JimR

New
I, like many members of the forum, really enjoyed Brian's cart analogy. Something about it triggered a memory for me and I went through my "archives" of golf instruction and rediscovered an article published in the May 1992 edition of Score magazine, a Canadian golf publication. It was authored by Monte Harris a CPGA professional and authorized instructor of The Golfing Machine. Here verbatim is his cart analogy:

"Often, when I start my group lessons I ask students this question: When you are at the grocery store and have a cart load of groceries in front of you, how do you make that shopping cart move? People invariably wonder what this has to do with golf. Finally, someone always answers that he or she pushes the cart. Actually, there is no pushing at all. We simply put our hands on the cart, walk, and the cart goes. If we walk faster the cart goes faster. Any independent pushing with the hands and arms will only produce awkward, unsequenced motion. You can't push something faster than you can walk. Just as in golf you can't swing a club faster than you can turn or you will be out of sequence or lose your rhythm, and produce clubhead throwaway instread of clubhead lag."

dbl

New
Similar in some ways to the old question seen in golf circles about whether a horse is pulling a wagon or pushing against the ground. I like Brian's explanation best so far.

What if we were pushing a car? Would we still do it the same way?
What if we were using a light whip?

Who said it's a shopping cart?

What are you getting at?

(not being critical either, just honestly wondering what answers you're trying to find :))

Leek

New
What if we were pushing a car? Would we still do it the same way?
What if we were using a light whip?

Who said it's a shopping cart?

If you push a car, you drive your legs and put your hands on the car to "connect" to it. If you were using a light whip, and you wanted to push it more than about three feet, then you once again would use the legs. The arms can only go about 3 feet!

i'm confused about this analogy.....i thought the arms should be "flung" or powered by the pivot.( not straightened by their own power)..but this analogy suggests you consciously straighten your arms at the last moment????

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Definately. Think of throwing a ball. Your pivot adds power and thrust, but you still move your arm. I think talk of arms moving solely because of your pivot is confusing because it certainly does not happen in any good swing. You don't move your arms and hope your body responds nor are your arms just hanging waiting for your pivot to move them.

tank

New
Maybe only for a pure swinger

i'm confused about this analogy.....i thought the arms should be "flung" or powered by the pivot.( not straightened by their own power)..but this analogy suggests you consciously straighten your arms at the last moment????

Maybe you are thinking in terms of a Pure Swinger. In that case you are probably correct, and there would be no conscious straightening of the arms.

However, for most (if not all) good swings, once the arms get to the delivery position, there is active straightening of the trailing arm to give the swing that extra OOOMPH.

Jayro1

New
Brian,

What type of player would you advise using pp #2?? I never really hear that one thrown around.

No place near Brian, but Mike Jacobs recommended I monitor pp#2. I have a problem of letting go of the club with my right hand at the top of my backswing.
Mike thought monitoring pp#2 would help me to keep my grip together. There's a video of my lesson review around here someplace and they talk about it.

Maybe you are thinking in terms of a Pure Swinger. In that case you are probably correct, and there would be no conscious straightening of the arms.

However, for most (if not all) good swings, once the arms get to the delivery position, there is active straightening of the trailing arm to give the swing that extra OOOMPH.

Right and like Brian has said before, you don't carry the ball 300 yards without some "hit" in there.

A pure swinger has an automatic release without conscious hitting before impact. When I employ a swing, I want a pure swing and that's exactly the feeling I have. There is no sacrifice of distance.

I'm not against active hitting or active pulling if correctly done. Not at all. If you do it correctly, hit or pull as hard as you can. Both have technical difficulties that correct procedure can solve.

hcw

New
consciousness...

A pure swinger has an automatic release without conscious hitting before impact. When I employ a swing, I want a pure swing and that's exactly the feeling I have. There is no sacrifice of distance.

I'm not against active hitting or active pulling if correctly done. Not at all. If you do it correctly, hit or pull as hard as you can. Both have technical difficulties that correct procedure can solve.

...just because you are not conscious of doing it, doesn't mean you are not...

Brian Manzella

Administrator
SIDE NOTE:

In my upcoming "Freinds" video, I will present my new theroy on Hitting, Swinging, and "something else" that will revolutionize discussion on the subject.

In the meantime, using the words "Hitting" and "Swinging" make me want to "spill the beans."

And, I ain't gonna.

So talk about something else for now....plenty of disscussion will follow my "announcement".......for years.

hcw

New
should be very interesting/eductional...

In my upcoming "Freinds" video, I will present my new theroy on Hitting, Swinging, and "something else" that will revolutionize discussion on the subject.

In the meantime, using the words "Hitting" and "Swinging" make me want to "spill the beans."

And, I ain't gonna.

So talk about something else for now....plenty of disscussion will follow my "announcement".......for years.

...we've danced around this issue before...it will interesting/eductional to see if we have the same conclusion...

Status
Not open for further replies.