Project 1.68 Data Share - TUG & TUMBLE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh... LDV's most famous drawing is a dude with 4 arms, 4 legs, and one junk...

uomovitruviano--400x300.jpg

Not sure he had it all figured out.

If we're going old school, let's at least use Michelangelo, his best stuff was in 3D. :)

Rummaging through some information to answer a question from a golf pro, I thought I should share some of the Project 1.68 Data Pool that has been collected. For the record, you would have NO SHOT at this info with VIDEO :p

So Tug and Tumble

Enjoy and more to come

The interaction between the thorax and the lead arm is a huge part of the swing. The separation stretch that takes place at the lead shoulder is a very brief one and we can see huge differences in this area with varying levels of golfers. Inconsistent ball strikers stretch at the lead arm too long or not at ALL! and their thorax tugs their lead arm down, great strikers have an almost instantaneous stretch and then the lead arm's acceleration rate is very close to the thorax in the early stage of the downswing. Here are 2 graphs that isolate Thorax and Lead Arm. Thorax is Red and Green is Lead Arm. Top is signified by when the club reverses in direction. Note not only the transition and downswing velocities but also their velocities on the backswing.

These are of 2 tour players - One of which was #1 in the world and the other was in the Top 5 in world rankings. These were taken with the 12 sensor 3D system, Kvest has only 3 sensors so the lead arm is not in the data.

View attachment 159View attachment 160

I am trying to trying to correlate this information with the kvest tour parameters. One kvest graph indicates which body part moves first in the transition- they suggest hips, shoulders. hands is the correct order, 1,2,3. Would the findings above suggest hips, then a tie between 2 and 3? Or even 1,3,2?

We Italians don't all look alike. DaVinci - Mona Lisa and The Last Supper, but NOT the Sistine Chapel. That was the other Italian (or ninja turtle depending on your age). :)

Michael Jacobs

Super Moderator
I am trying to trying to correlate this information with the kvest tour parameters. One kvest graph indicates which body part moves first in the transition- they suggest hips, shoulders. hands is the correct order, 1,2,3. Would the findings above suggest hips, then a tie between 2 and 3? Or even 1,3,2?

Ed,

The hand / grip of club is completely different from the lead arm as it is much more distal. As a rule of thumb a 1.5 ratio between segments is a good barometer. So on Kvest, which used to have lead arm and doesn't anymore it would be a 3.0 ratio thorax to hand as a good barometer

Michael Jacobs

Super Moderator
Graphs are great.

When should the left arm start moving? What is the stretch? Is it when you feel a sense of stress on the lead shoulder? At that point should their be conscious effort to speed the lead arm?

The above is what I got from the posts. I just want to make sure I'm right.

Great questions Jared. An office voiceover with screens will be coming shortly

Looking forward to it.

I like this thread because I think it addresses one of the main swing fault many golfers have incorrectly ingrained into their swing. The Dreaded Jackknife.

Would I be correct to say that the top ranked player has more float loading than the single handicapper? To sum it up...

Would I be correct to say that the top ranked player has more float loading than the single handicapper? To sum it up...

The arm is lagging behind the torso in the backswing, but catches up with the torso movement by the "top". The thing I struggle with when trying to float is having the hands tugged out toward the ball by the torso which might mean that the arm doesn't catch up until well into the downswing. The better player's arm catches up to the torso turn and mirrors the torso turn from right before the "top" to about half way into the downswing.

So the float loading here is probably not a function of the torso, more likely a function of the lower body? or maybe just simply getting the arms moving sooner into the downswing.

Last edited:
We Italians don't all look alike. DaVinci - Mona Lisa and The Last Supper, but NOT the Sistine Chapel. That was the other Italian (or ninja turtle depending on your age). :)

Right you are; not that all Italians look alike just the Reannaisance guys!

just thought about this thread a little more...

the main takeaway point for me is- there needs to be active force from the arms even in the beginning of downswing. The idea that the pivot drags the arms down is false. The arms are active well before release. So don't be afraid to use your arms to get your hands started on its circular path.

Michael Jacobs

Super Moderator
just thought about this thread a little more...

the main takeaway point for me is- there needs to be active force from the arms even in the beginning of downswing. The idea that the pivot drags the arms down is false. The arms are active well before release. So don't be afraid to use your arms to get your hands started on its circular path.

You got it Tong, that was my point in sharing. The old #4 pressure point is a sucker!

Status
Not open for further replies.