Quote from Jack Nicklaus talking about Jim Flick

Status
Not open for further replies.

hp12c

New
"Jim was someone who understood that the game of golf was played with the golf club and not the body."

The quote by itself to me makes no sense. A golf club without a body will do nothing but lay on the ground. A golfer with a body need to pick it up and use it with all of the body parts= hands, arms, torso, legs etc.

The quote by itself to me makes no sense. A golf club without a body will do nothing but lay on the ground. A golfer with a body need to pick it up and use it with all of the body parts= hands, arms, torso, legs etc.
I think that was a joke?
If it wasn't...to clarify, what I think he means is that the focus should be on what the club does rather than body...body is only the means to affect club.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I can assure you it wasn't a joke. I've heard Nicklaus state his preference for instruction to emphasize the movement of the club. Within reason, by whatever means the body has to do it, despite what "body" teachers say.

I remember Flick on a Golf Channel panel with the usual suspects ... Harmon, Leadbetter, Smith, etc. The discussion was on the golf swing. After the rest had stated their "body" theories Flick simply stated that the swing should be initiated by the hands. He said he taught beginners to use their hands to swing the club and make solid contact. Once that is fully mastered and the student wanted to progress to a more pro type swing then other things would be taught to add power. He said many students did not want to or were not capable of progressing to the more advanced swing but were quite happy with the "amateur" swing, The reactions of the others ranged from amusement to small smirks.

Wouldn't it have been nice to take your first lessons from Jim and spend your first days simply enjoying that lovely feeling of pure contact?

Jim came to believe, not in his early GD schools, but later thought that if you learn to swing the arms properly the body responds. Swing the arms up over the right shoulder, the shoulders have to turn naturally to get there he taught. Nice man though.

hp12c

New
I can assure you it wasn't a joke. I've heard Nicklaus state his preference for instruction to emphasize the movement of the club. Within reason, by whatever means the body has to do it, despite what "body" teachers say.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Nicklaus Clinic in 2010

I watched Nicklaus conduct a 45 minute swing clinic at a corporate outing in 2010. He was amazing - his ball striking was crisp and magical. His explanation of what he was doing was pure Flick. Few in attendance understood what he was talking about as he told them that he hit from the top and swung the club with his hands and arms. He emphasized that if you could move the club down like that you only needed a functional grip and good alignment at address to hit fine shots.

I also recall watching Nicklaus warm up prior to playing in several major championships in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. If I hadn't known better I would have thought he was one of the worst players in the field. He was not concerned at all with trying to make pretty shots. He was just warming up for his round and noticing what his opening tendencies were likely to be. Someone like Faldo, on the other hand, was most intent on making perfect shots on the range. Obviously, both were extremely successful on the course, but Nicklaus seemed never to be concerned about his swing - he focused on playing the game.

RIP Mr. Flick.

Old Tom

I remember Flick on a Golf Channel panel with the usual suspects ... Harmon, Leadbetter, Smith, etc. The discussion was on the golf swing. After the rest had stated their "body" theories Flick simply stated that the swing should be initiated by the hands. He said he taught beginners to use their hands to swing the club and make solid contact. Once that is fully mastered and the student wanted to progress to a more pro type swing then other things would be taught to add power. He said many students did not want to or were not capable of progressing to the more advanced swing but were quite happy with the "amateur" swing, The reactions of the others ranged from amusement to small smirks.

Wouldn't it have been nice to take your first lessons from Jim and spend your first days simply enjoying that lovely feeling of pure contact?

Most people would play better if they put their feet together and just swing their arms. I give that lesson so often it gets old.

Most people would play better if they put their feet together and just swing their arms. I give that lesson so often it gets old.
DC - I have long thought that that was the best swing "drill" out there (for me anyways) and I think that I even saw that it was voted the best swing tip in a golf magazine once too.

Just from my own experience, ive had as much success with it as any. I teach learning to swing the arms and club and hands FIRST when they start to hook or lay sod over it, time to bring in body thoughts.

How does the body do without a club?

Flick's point, interpreted fairly, is a simple one.

Flick was an advocate of practicing hitting a driver while on your knees. You'd be surprised how far and straight you can hit it from your knees. Shows how little you need the body.

Dariusz J.

Flick was an advocate of practicing hitting a driver while on your knees. You'd be surprised how far and straight you can hit it from your knees. Shows how little you need the body.

It actually shows how much body one needs to use if one hits shorter from knees than from feet but still long enough.

Cheers

You only need your body if you want the last 30% of your distance.

Everyone give a shout out that doesn't mind giving up 30%..........hello? Is this microphone working?

Could it be that distance will vary from person to person regardless of the technique being used? I recall asking a touring pro many years ago why my solidly struck shots do not go as far as his. He answered that some people can run faster than others, and that the same principle applies to golf. Why not search for good impact, by whatever way that works for you?

Also surprised at how much lie angle does NOT matter to hit it straight for a driver.

lia41985

Also surprised at how much lie angle does NOT matter to hit it straight for a driver.
The lie angle? Measured when ("set" at what point--in time)? Why does it (i.e. whatever your answer to the first 2 questions is) not matter?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.