Ray Romano and YOUR ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we have talked about The Haney Project before. I know how unsuccessful he was dealing with Charles Barkley. (Did we expect anything else?) But, unlike Sir Charles, I like Ray. For his sake, I hope Hank gets lucky and helps him out.

Here is my question to all of you: especially, the Manzella Academy guys.
What would your first lesson with Mr. Romano include? Where would you start with him?

Hank thought his takeaway was to inside. (surprise, surprise. . . another person he wants more laid off.) He also had him work on his posture, "A more athletic position."

Here is the first episode below. Sift through the comedy and focus on the lessons. What do you guys think?

FYI. . . Most of the meat of the golf instruction part is at the beginning of the final video.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dfy3EGGd1jQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dfy3EGGd1jQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9K5MCHrGYPQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9K5MCHrGYPQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/js7BrQRmAxE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/js7BrQRmAxE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iC41iHkyn0w&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iC41iHkyn0w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I watched it on DVR. Actual instruction time was, at most, 6-8%. My impression of the two, or three recommended changes was they were Golf Instruction 101, Golf Digest sort of tips.

Trackman was used for club gap purposes. Strong bet it will not be used for anything else. Wouldn't fit into the show's format.

I also find it hard to believe that multi-millionaire Romano, who has allegedly never broken 80, has not taken a bunch of high end lessons previously. If he has taken lessons, and still can't break 80, then why would we expect him to during this show? My conclusion is that while he may have played for 30 years it hasn't been seriously playing, and practicing to really get better.

Do we agree that 'weight more towards the balls of the feet" is a good idea?

I've been actually working to sit down more and get back onto the heel's with good results.

"he is so inside on the backswing he has to come over the top on the downswing"

I actully called this one to my wifey before Hank actually said it. He needs to see my backswing.

:eek:

Guys, let's not forget that this show is entertainment. While it may be disguised as serious instruction, it has to hold the attention of the audience. There is no doubt that Romano will break 80. It may be at a 5600 yard Muny, but he'll do it.

In some ways. . . don't you guys wish the world new about Brian. With that back swing, a little former flipper (maybe the divot drill), a Manzella neutral grip, and a flat left wrist throughout Brian would have Ray dropping 70 somethings in 2 weeks. HONESTLY.

To the point above: I really do think that Romano doesn't have many lessons under his belt. Working in the golf business, I know there are people that play all the time, have access to instruction and have the funds but never get formal instruction. Ray Romano might be one of them.

Here is a thought, Brian's instruction wouldn't make for a very good show. Brian's lessons are so very simple (to visualize), dynamic and pertinent that the show wouldn't have much drama. I hope someday the Brian Manzella Academy gets what it deserves: opportunity and recognition. It is a shame to see the Haney's and Harmon's of the world get rich with elementary advice and instruction like we saw above. Just a shame. If America only knew.

It is kind of amazing that anyone walking up to Haney is going to get the hand/arm manipulation treatment into the "correct" backswing plane.

To me, Barkley got him self so off-balanced his arms were flapping around trying to save himself from falling down.

Romano breaking 80? Not soon. Not legit. Did I hear correctly that he averages about 95?

He's athletic enough to improve some. I don't see a 79 on a legit course in the near future.

Romano breaking 80? Not soon. Not legit. Did I hear correctly that he averages about 95?

He's athletic enough to improve some. I don't see a 79 on a legit course in the near future.

With the short game I know he has. . . with a solid 8 hours of instruction everyday. . . I bet Brian could have him to an 8 or 9 handicap in 2-3 weeks.

I feel he needs a week of full days of solid practice on a few impact alignment drills. Like the ones in Former Flipper. This would help his chips and short game around the green.

Then move to his club face control. Incorporate the impact/chipping drills with club face control. ie. Twistaway/Wedding Ring up.

Then move to full swing. Soft Draw backswing. From the looks of it he pretty much does it already. Then check out the numbers on Trackman. I bet you would be surprised.

Am I even close guys?

Forget the characters.. What is it about the diagnosis of " swinging it so far inside forces him to come over the top on the downswing" that seems so ridiculous to this forum? Is there any truth in what Haney says?

Reality check.

Romano is 52 years old. You give him a week of full day practicing and after about day two he probably would be so sore that he couldn't make a swing. Even someone who played and practiced a lot would likely have the stamina problem at that age.

Reality check.

Romano is 52 years old. You give him a week of full day practicing and after about day two he probably would be so sore that he couldn't make a swing. Even someone who played and practiced a lot would likely have the stamina problem at that age.

I am not so sure. I know of a lot of 52 yr olds that would have no problem with a practice schedule like that. Plus. . . you can scale back the practicing. Putting, chipping and impact drills are easier on the body. Which is what I believe he needs anyway.

This is not the intent of the thread. My fault. I took us on a tangent. Here is the question.

What would you do with his swing?

Reality check.

8 hours a day for 14 days and a mid 90's shooter is more likely to shoot 98 than 78 on day 15.

He wouldn't be able to put ON his wedding ring - let alone UP it. :eek:

Seriously. IMO, it's hard to give a laundry list of things to do, because you don't know how one change might affect the rest of his swing.

He has Trackman but does not use it for lessons.

Interested to hear why this would be?

Is it because he doesnt understand how to use it to his advantage? Why would someone spend that kind of money and use it for club fittng only?

Tough to watch. Made no mention of the clubface at all. A little float load, twistaway at the top, and he would improve. I hate watching him teach, he really comes across arrogant, I always heard he was not that way at all. He is not very good on camera, he made me look forward to the guy that yells on Monday night.

I didn't watch it. I may watch because I'm a golf nerd.

In the two swings I saw, his clubface is way too open. Pretty simple reason for the OTT flip. Don't need trackman to see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.