Ray Romano and YOUR ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't watch it. I may watch because I'm a golf nerd.

In the two swings I saw, his clubface is way too open. Pretty simple reason for the OTT flip. Don't need trackman to see that.

You're dead on. I only saw a couple of poor camera angles of his swing and thought the face was wide open. Romano's misses seemed to go dead right, yet Haney is talking about parallel plane lines and I get the awful suspicion we'll see Romano standing next to a golf cart and trying to hit the cart with his club in transition.

If Romano fails here, I really wonder how Haney can salvage his reputation. He didn't come close with Barkley, but there is something understandable about that situation. But Romano is actually in very good physical condition and doesn't have a major mental breakdown like Barkley, breaking 80 or being on the path to break 80 shouldn't be plausible.

I think a more interesting concept is to do a series of the 'work with the celebrity golfer' shows. But instead of just having Haney teach them, get a variety of instructors that work solely with a celebrity and see how they do in the end.

I would put the focus on the celebrity rather than on the instructor to draw the ratings. But I think you could draw additional interest if there's a particular instructor that the audience likes and has success with a celebrity and you could then follow that instructors career as well with 'reunion' shows, etc.

Anyway, I think with Romano an instructor needs to be more open with their analysis of his swing and why things happen because he's a pretty analytical guy and seems very confused about the golf swing. I'd start mentioning clubface and its impact on his swing to him immediately.

3JACK

I just don't understand the point of teeing up 800 balls in rows?!!?!? Just to show that you have minions that will do what you want them too. It just looks ridiculous IMO.

I didn't understand that either. With Barkley, I could see the idea behind that, but I don't think it's what Romano needs.

3JACK

Romano will have no problem breaking 80. Sure, they'll add a little drama and make it seem like he's not progressing, but in the end he'll succeed. A stand-up comic doesn't have the mental issues that most people do. They already know what it's like to be in front of people and fail. Remember, this is a six month period we're talking about.

SJO

New
I seriously doubt if he will break 80. Mentally he has the fact that he's never done it before and also it seems like Hank is just telling him what he told Charles. He might even be doing that twirly drill soon. It looks like the second episode is full of frustration. I'm not sure if it's fair for Haney to be talking about Barkley in a bad way either, he seemed to put a lot of effort in and got nowhere. I think it might have been a mistake to do the show in the first place, it certainly isn't doing golf instruction any favours so far.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I watched those clips. Maybe it was just for the show but Haney certainly comes across as, well,.......very confident. To put it nicely.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The perfect storm....

I can't wait to see episode 2.

This is the best thing that could have ever happened to my career in a long time.

SJO

New
True enough Brian, but it's awful to watch. Haney going around tooting his horn, all the while looking like he doesn't really believe it. I was cringing all the way through. I'm not sure that Romano is that convinced either!

dbl

New
Besides the swing, I bet Haney will devote time to "all parts" of Ray's game. So perhaps there will be efforts split like this:

Putting: 20%
Chipping/Sand: 20%
Course management: 35%
The Swing: 25%

So then in the end, HH will wind up saying "we had so much to work on"...that he couldn't get around to just fixing the swing...

Ray should break 80 because of a couple reasons. One he's only 4 to 5 strokes away and plays alot of golf he shoots low to mid 80's. 2nd his team that guy Mark Dimarco is an ex Pga Pro who runs tournaments for celebrities when i worked in L.A. that guy and his assistants gave alot of lessons to celebs and is constantly with Ramano. 3rd its looks like the course is Calabasas cc forgive wrong spelling verly open off tee reachable par 5's tricky 4's playing around 6400.Basically a homer for Ray. The Drama is there but Ray shoots 78 or 79 and makes Haney look great.

I can't wait to see episode 2.

This is the best thing that could have ever happened to my career in a long time.

Hypothetically the outcome is negative, don't you think the GC would spin it or edit the show in a way that makes Haney look like a wizard, I can't believe he would allow it any other way.

Yeah, and Haney blamed Barkley in the first Romano show for that. "At least you aren't Charles Barkley" or something like that.

I am guessing Charles has a little more athletic talent than Ray.

ZAP

New
I actually pitched the idea to The Golf Channel about a golf instructor competition show.
They could run it like "The Ultimate Fighter" and use celebrities to make it interesting.
Each coach would be given the opportunity to "draft" his team from a pool of celebs.
It would be of great interest to me to see what different teachers attempt in that scenario.

I have not heard anything back from them yet. And I do not expect to. I honestly do not think any of the "big names" have the balls to do it. Just in case you missed it I said they would not have the balls to do it.

I see in, across the line, over and VERY steep coming down, and the release is VERY early; which fits actually. The tough part of this fix would be getting a little lag IF he ever learns to shallow out and hit from the inside. If you get him inside right now he's gonna hit a foot behind it.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The perfect storm....

I never said ANYTHING about Haney not having any success with Ray.

I actually think he might.

Romano is so unstructured and has no roadmap, so many different methodologies might work.

The extra practice did nothing for Barkley, but it might help Ray.

Hank also might fail again.

If I was a betting man, I'd say that Ray gets better, and might break 80 on the show.

The reason I say this might be the best thing that ever happened to my career, is this:

1. The cable networks have a idea of how a show like this works on the air.

2. I am 10000 times more interesting than Haney, and could make a show work with a non-celebrity.

3. My instruction is more understandable, and would make more sense to more lay people, and would be a draw as well.

4. I could fix 'em in one episode, so they'd be more variety.

5. The side show of my interaction with Finney, Bartlett, Shields, Lucas, Jacobs, Hardesty, Hamburger, etc—ie "my guys"—and our battle to get to the top of the business, would play BIG TIME on TV.

I see sort of a cross between "What Not To Wear," a Paula Dean/Emeril/Bobby Flay show, one of those "flip it" house shows, with just a little a little "Meat the Kardashians" for spice.

"One Golfer at a Time."

Status
Not open for further replies.