Ray Romano and YOUR ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see a Manzella Throwdown show (ala Bobby Flay) in which Brian issues a challenge to different instructors. Wonder who would have the guts to accept?

ej20

New
Regarding Romano,if Hank tries to get him to congruent plane his swing,he will fail miserably.Some players play better with the club a bit across the line and come down steeper.Lots of great players do this.He should work on getting the correct transition for Ray's natural position at the top.Romano doesn't have a bad swing like Barkely.He tends to hang back on his right side a bit and hit it fat.A better run up will have him break 80.

Romano has some v similar problems (albeit rather more extreme) to those I had. I worked with a Haney 'type' instructor (parallel planes) and if anything, got worse.

Soft draw backswing and a decent weight swift were the key.

Why can I not see Haney doing that with Romano?:)

On a side note, it seems golfers now thing any swing that isn't 'one plane' (insofar as that term is useful, but you get the idea) automatically = furyk. I've lost count of the number of guys who've told me I swing it like him. I don't - I just have a 'real' backswing. ;)

I think Romano will break 80; if he hasn't taken lessons before and doesn't have a structured approach then he is likely to get better, at least in the short term.

Is Haney that much of a jerk(keeping it clean)?

Romano asked something about his left wrist "breaking down" and Haney tells Ray that for 15 years Ray hasn't helped himself. So, he should stop questioning and listen to Haney.

Wow Haney is really looking bad, I think after his failre with Sir Charles he thought someone with a liitle talent might get his respect back but I think it has back fired. He just exposed how little he knows about the golf swing to his core audiance.

dbl

New
I watched a few of RR's swings in slow mo on the dvr and he's a flipper to boot. He's trying to time it, and very inconsistent.

ej20

New
I watched a few of RR's swings in slow mo on the dvr and he's a flipper to boot. He's trying to time it, and very inconsistent.

The two things that jumps out at me about Romano's swing is the circle delivery path and the lack of downswing forward hip weight transfer.These two things combined will result in a flip and hitting 6 inches behind the ball.

It's especially important for a circle delivery path releaser to get a better run up.Either that or get more trigger delay.

Fixing his top of the backswing position and parallel planeing his swing is not going to fix these issues.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I dont have time to watch this show. Can someone appoint himself as official re-capper of the show with detailed explanation of the fixes as they happen?

So far Haney has said that he gave him a couple tips that were not on camera and the reason they didn't help Ray is because he had already decided that he wasn't going to do better. Basically blamed everything on the student. He said that the reason Ray comes OTT is because he takes the club too far inside on the backswing and he has to come OTT to fix his plane. (I wonder if that's what he tells Tiger when he hits it 80 yds right) I think that on the range in the second episode he seemed to be working on his weight transfer a little bit, just moving away from the reverse like pivot that Ray has left over from attempting S&T. Not a lot of teaching being shown yet, but Haney is still obsessing over hitting the elbow plane in the backswing and mirroring that in the downswing. Haney might be trying to fix the flip but he's not doing a very good job so far.

Kevin, I am not volunteering to be the moderator, but I will sum up the second episode. 2% instruction, 98% celebrity fluff and commercials.

Worthless, is the word that comes to mind.

Here's a recap *off the top of my head.*

They put RR on Trackman and said that the problem with him was he had the weight too far back on his heels at address, he was taking the club too far inside and coming over the top. Not once was the clubface mention, which is more wide open than the great abyss at impact.

They showed Ray on video and of course, the parallel plane lines were shown but they really didn't go into it much more than that.

In episode 2, Haney changed RR's grip and was also coaching some other celebrities and changed their grip as well. Haney explained that it was the first thing he ever showed Tiger and Tiger said that he can't hit the ball with that grip and Haney told him to give it a try and Tiger hit 'as pretty of a golf shot you will ever see.'

Haney also said that distance is the most important thing in golf and said that anytime you can putt the ball, do it.

My opinion is that Brian is a much bigger optimist about this than I am. Haney blows. RR is confused and doesn't seem to be too keen on Haney. Can't say I blame him by some of the remarks Haney has made to RR (another poster eluded to this as well).

I think we're going to see a swing very similar to the one he tried to teach Charles and the grip will be weak.

I look at it this way. A teacher renowned for having the driver yips who lost drivers right taught the most talented golfer of all time to miss drivers right is now trying to teach a 15 handicapper who already loses drives to the right.

That's not a recipe for success, IMO.

3JACK

Brian Manzella

Administrator

They put RR on Trackman and said that the problem with him was he had the weight too far back on his heels at address, he was taking the club too far inside and coming over the top. Not once was the clubface mention, which is more wide open than the great abyss at impact.

They showed Ray on video and of course, the parallel plane lines were shown but they really didn't go into it much more than that.

In episode 2, Haney changed RR's grip and was also coaching some other celebrities and changed their grip as well. Haney explained that it was the first thing he ever showed Tiger and Tiger said that he can't hit the ball with that grip and Haney told him to give it a try and Tiger hit 'as pretty of a golf shot you will ever see.'

Haney also said that distance is the most important thing in golf and said that anytime you can putt the ball, do it.

My opinion is that Brian is a much bigger optimist about this than I am. Haney blows. RR is confused and doesn't seem to be too keen on Haney. Can't say I blame him by some of the remarks Haney has made to RR (another poster eluded to this as well).

I think we're going to see a swing very similar to the one he tried to teach Charles and the grip will be weak.

I look at it this way. A teacher renowned for having the driver yips who lost drivers right taught the most talented golfer of all time to miss drivers right is now trying to teach a 15 handicapper who already loses drives to the right.

That's not a recipe for success, IMO.

3JACK

I am trying to be diplomatic...

3JACK

And the Trackman was only used for what looked like gapping his club distances. Nothing was shown for analyzing his swing and ball flight.

The first 2 episodes of this series with RR have been a disaster.

Although I didn't think the teaching in the Barkley series was good, I thought a few of the episodes were at least interesting as to what HH was trying to do with him.

I watched last night's episode in disbelief that the best golfer in the world takes lessons from HH. I thought there was a chance that Tiger would use his problems over the past few months as an opportunity to split from HH but now (with recent reports) that doesn't seem to be happening either. Huge missed opportunity.

I am trying to be diplomatic...

Yep.

And if anybody says differently you can just point to your post and this post and put the blame on me.

I have no problem with that. They can PM me here if they disagree as such. But I'd rather see Hank actually improve RR first.

I certainly wouldn't put money on that.

3JACK

Manzella Project Volunteer!

Long time lurker but here goes...I'd be down for having Brian work on my game for 6 months to see if I could break 80. I think I'm similar in age and handicap to RR - I'm 48 years old, a 14 handicap and been playing for 4 years now. Like all of us who shoot 90, all areas in my game need fixing, though I do hit my fair share of good shots. One thing HH did meniton in the last espisode was being able to eliminate the disaster holes, and no doubt if I could eliminate my triples, turn my doubles into bogeys, turn a bogey or 2 into pars and a par into birdie, then I'm there. Easier said than done but that's why Brian gets the big bucks. I live in Virginia so we're not talking tons of lessons here - maybe 1 a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.