Ray Romano and YOUR ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I look at The Haney Project the same way I viewed the movie "Field of Dreams". In the movie, Shoe-less Joe Jackson batted right-handed although in real life he batted left-handed. The show is for entertainment only. To me, Hank Haney is no better than the hustlers who walk up and down the Driving Ranges trying to sell lessons. In my opinion the show is doing him more harm than good. It kind of makes you wonder why any Tour Pro would even hire him.
Jbrunk stated that any Manzello instructor could fix Ray. I think any Manzella Forum member could do better than Haney has done.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Collateral Damage.

I think any Manzella Forum member could do better than Haney has done.

So far, you would be DEAD right.

As many of you know, I predicted Haney would get Ray to break 80.

But now, I am starting to worry about the permeant damage the show is doing to the golf instruction business.

Having spent two days with Brian in Vegas, putting those two guys together would be a huge hit. People would watch the damn show.

1. Ray would start to look like a golfer in 15 minutes. The only reason I didn't say 5 minutes, is due to the story telling. Geez, he sucks right now and he seems to be grasping at some notion HH wants him to make. Brian would have explained things and the audience would be rushing out to try the Rx.

2. Brian is funny. Period.

3. Brian's wife wouldn't be poking her head in the shots.

4. Brian is the perfect imperfect human that a ton of guys can relate too.

But now, I am starting to worry about the permeant damage the show is doing to the golf instruction business.

I was thinking about this. Here, we know where Hank stands as an instructor, and we know how accurate any Top-50 list of instructors is. However, the less-informed golfer may actually think that Hank is the best there is. What is the average golfer supposed to think when he sees the best instructor in the world unable to fix a broken swing? It's just bad for golf in general to have a big name teacher fail spectacularly, in the public eye, two times in a row.

I watched the most recent episode of Hank's Shank-a-palooza and had some laughs, but then it occurred to me that what's happening to Romano really isn't that funny. I realized that I was watching a man lose his faith in his ability to improve. I felt bad for Romano. He reminds me a little of my dad, who also struggles with his golf for many of the same reasons (mainly stubbornness and crappy instruction).

Bad instruction is just bad for golf. People like Romano and my dad lose hope and either continue to play crappy golf or just quit. Watching Hank stand there on the range, all smiles and condescending comments, it almost makes me a little angry. And confused. How did he get where he is? Why? Who gave this guy their money? Who did he fix? Why is his wife so hot (I know the answer, but come on)? Why does he keep saying "Good shot" when Romano keeps making the same horrible swing? Has he demonstrated a single swing yet? What is going on here?

I can only imagine what good pros feel like when they watch. I really hope that there's no season three of the Haney Project. Or, maybe the "project" of season three will be teaching Hank how to teach. That'd be quite an undertaking, good for another couple seasons I'm sure, or maybe even a spinoff.

Imagine if there was a medical reality show and all the docs patients died, and the doctor blamed the patients and also treated the patients in an arrogant and condescending fashion. :eek:

ej20

New
Well,to Hanks credit he is getting RR to swing how he wants him to swing.He now needs to pray that the swing works and sticks for RR.

I don't think his ego or reputation could stand another failure.

Watching this show is painful. It reminds me of when I went to the #1 teacher in Indiana and former golf coach for a state university. My problem was a pull hook. I spent several lessons beating balls trying to do what he told me, with another 5 hours of practice each week between the lessons. Result: same pull hook. He kept telling me it takes time and blah blah blah. I am not exactly a hack either....I was shooing in the mid 80s at the time. I went to see Brian and the pull hook was gone in 15 minutes.

Much like Haney, it is not look this guy didn't know anything, or that he didn't have redeeming value. I know for a fact he had success with very good players. He just couldn't fix me. The fact he had so much success made me think I was the problem....Brian changed my mind in 15 minutes.

dbl

New
The fact he had so much success made me think I was the problem....

Bingo! I think this is THE common outcome for many golfers seeing an instructor.

With HH so far, he is pertuating the view that the students are all wrong and too much of a mess, and that they can't get it.

Last edited:
I was thinking about this. What is the average golfer supposed to think when he sees the best instructor in the world unable to fix a broken swing? It's just bad for golf in general to have a big name teacher fail spectacularly, in the public eye, two times in a row.

I watched the most recent episode of Hank's Shank-a-palooza and had some laughs, but then it occurred to me that what's happening to Romano really isn't that funny. I realized that I was watching a man lose his faith in his ability to improve. I felt bad for Romano. He reminds me a little of my dad, who also struggles with his golf for many of the same reasons (mainly stubbornness and crappy instruction).

Bad instruction is just bad for golf. People like Romano and my dad lose hope and either continue to play crappy golf or just quit. Watching Hank stand there on the range, all smiles and condescending comments, it almost makes me a little angry. And confused. How did he get where he is? Why? Who gave this guy their money? Who did he fix? Why is his wife so hot (I know the answer, but come on)? Why does he keep saying "Good shot" when Romano keeps making the same horrible swing? Has he demonstrated a single swing yet? What is going on here?

Thank God that a) I found this site (along with John Graham, Mike Jacobs, and Richie3Jack) before I saw HH and b) that I was smart enough to realize that the golf media is just as ****ed-up as the state-run media.

Haney looks like a classic "video teacher" with no apparent regard for cause and effect.

Did the same with Barkley.

Pure manipulation. Good luck. And extra good luck taking it to the course.

Ray Ramano

I can't figure out which show is more pathetic...the Haney Project or Being John Daly. THP is just a boring celebrity talk show with a little golf kibble tossed in.
BJD...another exercise in self indulgence. If John is serious about reviving his golf career, perhaps he should spend more time with his putter than with Kid Rock....not exactly the best choice of friends for someone struggling with substance abuse and gambling issues.
I'd rather watch reruns of McLean's 8 Step Swing than either one.

Burner

New
There are now 10 pages of posts on this subject in here.

If TGC had received your Emails to this effect then something might (although I doubt it) get changed.

Like all those action movies; lots of bullets flying around but to no real effect until a specific target is selected and focused on.

Aim your guns at TGC. Don't waste your ammo' here - entertaining though it is.

dbl

New
How many episodes have there been? 4? So that's about 2.5 pages per episode. Seems reasonable to me.

TGC has shown themselves immune from feedback from viewers except for one instance that I know of.

Besides, it also doesn't seem like they care whether what they do hurts golf or helps it. So the instructor biz issues and head-shaking stuff may as well be here.

Last edited:
Imagine if there was a medical reality show and all the docs patients died, and the doctor blamed the patients and also treated the patients in an arrogant and condescending fashion. :eek:

Most medical doctors I've met are.....and we are all destined to die.:) But, I know what you mean.

Last edited:
I originally predicted that Ray would break 80. After watching the latest episode, he may never break 100. The agent that got Hank Haney this gig needs to be fired.

ej20

New
I think golf instructors need to take a page from medical practitioners and recite and follow the hipocratic oath.

In particular,"I will not be ashamed to say I know not","I will not play god" and "Primum non nocere(first,do no harm)".

Rays knee's are swaying from side to side and he is winging it inside with crappy posture. all this show is proving to me is that Haney is a fraud. No decent range pro I know would have left that posture and wobly knees alone. How can you build on a crappy foundation.

Status
Not open for further replies.