Ray Romano and YOUR ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbl

New
So they have resumed

So they have resumed and Ray says he only has a couple more lessons with HH.

In this show as before, HH has him "swing outside, use hips, square the left hand." What we see is an arm lift for a backswing, a flattening for the downswing and "some good" "some bad" ball flights, most bad. RR has very little pivot and no axis tilt. Almost all arm swing.

The main thing in the show was 1) a segment where they brought Ray's wife out to the range, and then they played a hole of golf together. RR did not appear pleased.

2) On a 185yd par3 Ray's initial tee shot was lost way right in a terrible open face swipe. Hank then laid into Ray in a big way...insulting, demeaning, browbeating him for the terrible swing.

Ray responds by hitting the next tee shot to 2 feet, and RR decides maybe he needs someone to kick his ass to get through his mental clutter. Although he also says he's beginning to get afraid of HH and what he might do next time they get together in a week. He speculates (and hopes) HH will be off taking anger management lessons.

I stopped watching this show when RR seemed to realize he did not like HH's teaching style and this seem to be going downhill fast.

Chip, not sure.

I was also a bit shocked ( and as an instructor, embarassed ) very to see how HH treated RR. I think HH honestly thinks that RR will be able to repeat the all arm, flattening openface downswing move.

WHY NOT FIX THE FACE HANK?

It's fairly obvious HH doesn't have a clue. What struck me was how he told Romano how bad the swing was and how horrible a job Romano did on the par 3 tee shot, but didn't give any explanation as to why it was a bad swing. Reminds of why I only took 1 lesson for the first 15 years of playing--another clueless instructor.

So they have resumed and Ray says he only has a couple more lessons with HH.

In this show as before, HH has him "swing outside, use hips, square the left hand." What we see is an arm lift for a backswing, a flattening for the downswing and "some good" "some bad" ball flights, most bad. RR has very little pivot and no axis tilt. Almost all arm swing.

The main thing in the show was 1) a segment where they brought Ray's wife out to the range, and then they played a hole of golf together. RR did not appear pleased.

2) On a 185yd par3 Ray's initial tee shot was lost way right in a terrible open face swipe. Hank then laid into Ray in a big way...insulting, demeaning, browbeating him for the terrible swing.

Ray responds by hitting the next tee shot to 2 feet, and RR decides maybe he needs someone to kick his ass to get through his mental clutter. Although he also says he's beginning to get afraid of HH and what he might do next time they get together in a week. He speculates (and hopes) HH will be off taking anger management lessons.

185 yard par 3 and RR says he hit a 9iron to 3 feet. 9iron??????????????????

I saw some improvement in that episode, but I don't see it sticking and I'd bet against RR breaking 80. The ripping into RR on that par-3 was, IMO...embarassing for the golf instruction profession. I thought RR thought that he needed that though. But we'll see when he continues to hit those really bad shots if he likes it.

Some like to say 'well, my football coach yelled at us and he was great', but other sports have a very different dynamic than golf. One of the things is that they are team sports and coaches have to try and get the selfishness out of their players. If Manny Ramirez isn't in the mood to hustle today and loafs on a ball coming at him, his thoughts are he really doesn't care and is waiting to get up to bat again. But that kills the team. In golf, if you decide to 'loaf', you only hurt yourself. And I don't know of many golfers who are serious about the game that can take every bad shot as meaningless.

3JACK

footwedge

New's flash for H.H., Hank you in there? Listen bad shots are going to happen and going off on your student for hitting one was totally ridiculous, but then again he is using your method so not really a surprise. I'd call you a dick, but that would be insulting dicks.

New's flash for H.H., Hank you in there? Listen bad shots are going to happen and going off on your student for hitting one was totally ridiculous, but then again he is using your method so not really a surprise. I'd call you a dick, but that would be insulting dicks.

hahahaha

dbl

New
185 yard par 3 and RR says he hit a 9iron to 3 feet. 9iron??????????????????

Based on where the first tee shot probably landed, I thought he may have had a chance from down in the grassy ravine to hit a second, but perhaps it was in some scrub. Anyway, it appeared to me that his second tee shot was from the same tee location as originally used. Ray did say "9 Iron" but I assumed he was making his 3/4I sound more macho.

Note, on the par 5 he had tee shot left, 2nd shot way right into some tall grass, next shot short right somewhat near fringe, and then RR was able to chip and get up n down. I think for him to break 80 he will need the best short game day of his life.

However to that point, when he was playing the par3 later by himself, he missed the green and then chose a flop shot for no good reason when he was quite far from the pin, and came up 35 feet short.

I have got to also add that when is Hank gonna shut his pie hole about Tiger?
first he fires him via text, then he does an interview bitching that tiger didn't stand up for him when he was criticized and finally he is in magazines bashing Tigers choices and how when he texted tiger the return text was "a break for now?" and he responded "no, forever". Whatever the truth is he made millions on Tigers coat tails and should have an ounce of class and shut up. He is looking like more of a bitch every time he opens his trap!

Has HH worked with any tour pros that have had success with this looping, flattening the downswing method. Neither Woods nor Omeara seem to swing like this to me.

jimmyt

New
Haney is clueless!!!

I have to say for me ......I thought Hank was ok as a person and instructor until he decided to do this Hank Haney Project Lets see he couldnt fix a 30 handicap......he hasnt done a thing for a probable 12-15 handicap......if he cant fix us hacks who can he fix ......add that he is an arrogant SOB and i now dont care for him at all ....I think the distance he put between himself and Tiger when he was clueless regarding his swing, he deserved to be fired.......I just wish it had been more of a public flogging.....let see how he can handle the heat......my money says he couldnt handle it

rant is ove.....and good night

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I have got to also add that when is Hank gonna shut his pie hole about Tiger?
first he fires him via text, then he does an interview bitching that tiger didn't stand up for him when he was criticized and finally he is in magazines bashing Tigers choices and how when he texted tiger the return text was "a break for now?" and he responded "no, forever". Whatever the truth is he made millions on Tigers coat tails and should have an ounce of class and shut up. He is looking like more of a bitch every time he opens his trap!

What's with the texting? A call wouldnt even suffice, do it in person. Texting? Douche.

Kevin,
the way HH handled the whole issue smacks of an immature and very sophomoric egotistical child. He seems to be trying to beat out any criticism that might come his way, but instead he is exposing himself as the backstabbing child that he really is.
I think it was OK to end the relationship for whatever reasons he had, but 1) meet the guy face to face 2) keep it very private.
Butch Harmon basically fired Tiger when he told him he wasn't going to be traveling to his events or be at his beck and call because he had other clients. But he let Tiger "fire" him because that is what you do when someone elses success makes you rich and famous. It is now funny how no one has ever bashed Butch about his break up with Tiger.
HH should have learned from that but it is clear his momma didn't teach him about integrity.

The "Dear John" text sounded downright bizarre when the story first broke. But, when the story first broke, I'm sure most people were thinking that, really, Tiger had broken it off and fired Hank - and that both parties would be trying to put a pretty gloss on the situation.

Instead, Hank has been pretty belligerent. And it must have occurred to him before bitching to the press about Tiger's behaviour that Team Tiger's reflex reaction will be to trash Haney's teaching credibility in response. I'll be somewhat impressed by TW if this doesn't happen.

It's hard to tell whether HH anger is justified, but I'm pretty certain that it's genuine. And just maybe he felt that Tiger got what he deserved by way of a kiss-off.

Sure, we'd all hope for better, and we should all hope to deserve better. But what grounds has anyone got for thinking that TW must be a great guy to work for? Maybe he's been a giant PITA for 6 years. Sure we've all had bosses like that...

Birly,
weather your boss is a horses ass or Gandhi doesn't change the fact that Haney made millions and millions of this relationship and because this is America he could have quit at anytime he felt unhappy with the arrangement. His actions and behavior in this matter are completely inexcusably. I think he damaged his image and I wouldn't be surprised that since he has trashed the golden goose so publicly no other tour player will go near him with a 10 foot pole.

OTOH - it's my feeling that for every person who now thinks that HH has behaved boorishly, there's been someone else previously complaining that HH was nothing other than a spineless "yes-man". Tough gig to play both roles, IMOP.

I would be interested in knowing the extent to which Haney has benefitted financially out of his association with Tiger. I know his profile has skyrocketed - albeit not entirely in a good way. I also think there were expensive golfing academies in place before Tiger came along and when Haney was still pretty low-profile, so far as tour players were concerned.

AFAIK - he was a pretty successful businessman before getting involved with Tiger, and I wouldn't be surprised if the purely financial benefits of the relationship - media deals and endorsements - were relatively modest compared to his visibility.

And to cap it all, the visibility has been a distinctly mixed blessing.

You could be right that other tour players will be wary in future. Then again, if you were a tour player, wouldn't you be curious to work with the guy that worked with...

But apart from anything else, ask yourself - if Hank's behaved badly, how would you have judged Tiger (forgetting about all that other stuff that's been going on) if the boot were on the other foot? Say Tiger had sacked Haney and said publicly that he'd lost confidence in his teacher. After 6 years with the guy and making umpteen millions in the process. I don't know about you, but there's plenty who would have lapped that up and said Hank had it coming to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.