Ray Romano and YOUR ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking up a sport, any sport, but particularly golf is very hard at age 44. So I wouldn't be too hard on yourself.

I'm down in NE Tennessee looking at some nice 60 degree weather. Would think it's coming your way.

dbl

New
That smilie means sarcastic right? :wink:

HH is not winning any customers with this show. As to Ray, he's got a horrible pivot, no axis tilt and all arms.

However, for conspiracy theorists, someone on another board mentions seeing Ray perform quite well on the course 1.5 years ago and... so...perhaps is a ringer, who will miraculously achieve that 79 at the end to salvage HH's reputation.

dbl

New
They showed Ray at various practice ranges, and then a small 3 hole match game with a celebrity. He had major trouble with irons on the ranges and chipping on the last hole in the match. At one point RR said he hated his 5I and preferred 5H, but HH had him use the 5I on the course and Ray hit the green.

In the beginning, they showed a lot of Ray asking questions about wrist breakdown and weight shift and right leg issues, and Hank telling him to basically shut up, that Ray can't fix himself so all that Ray brings up is worthless...the only issues that matter are the ones HH brings up. Ray seems to understand that because HH says "good shot" after dribblers that HH may be unreliable as a teacher one could be devoted to.

As to fixes....In one 5 second moment, HH reminds Ray of three things they are working on: a backswing thing, a "behind the left shoulder" feeling and something down near impact like the left wrist being square to the ball. Hard to tell what these were, as Haney showed some cryptic visual motions for the reminders.

One of the many things that detract from the alledged theme of the show, "Fixing Ray's Golf Swing", are all the visiting celebrities. Ray and some show host riding along playing a trivia game to kill time. The point is more to showcase the celebrities.

And then there is Hank's new wifey. Nice young blonde, who is seemingly there on every episode. Why? What does she have to contribute, other than to massage Hank's ego.

It's not a show about Golf Instruction. It's a like celebrity golf, with Haney as one of the main celebrities.

Last edited:
In the beginning, they showed a lot of Ray asking questions about wrist breakdown and weight shift and right leg issues, and Hank telling him to basically shut up, that Ray can't fix himself so all that Ray brings up is worthless...the only issues that matter are the ones HH brings up. Ray seems to understand that because HH says "good shot" after dribblers that HH may be unreliable as a teacher one could be devoted to.

This is one thing that is driving me crazy! The student is the one that has to swing the club, so why can't HH answer the question and make RR happy! Haney seems too forceful with his teaching - he needs to explain what he is doing or the student will doubt it (like RR is doing). There needs to be an understanding between student and teacher for successful outcome and in this instance there is none.

For what its worth, I agree with other posters that he is swinging too much with his arms and not enough pivot.

dbl

New
Next show, HH spends two days with RR in LA. About 1/3 of the show shows a poker game in RR's home.

At the range, HH is getting rid of RR's "flat backswing and OTT downswing" ala Barkley by having him go out and up and then flatten in the downswing (by dropping hands).

On the course (and they showed one day with HH and one day with a celebnty) there were mixed results. In each segment they showed him having to take 2-3 mulligans to put one ball in play off the tee.

HH had him practice some chips, and balls were all over the green, though HH said some of HH's shots were "pro quality", and then on the course he flipped and thinned a few.

HH mentioned a goal of two putting, and they showed RR had hit a GIR (after several mulligans off the tee), and from 40 feet he hit it 20 feet past the hole and 3 putted.

Imo, RR's pivot is still quite lacking with very little if any axis tilt. And though they mentioned turning the left hand down, I don't think RR hasn't been told much about squaring the clubface. When the push comes to shove, RR's scoops.

dbl

New
Oh I forgot the craziest thing in the show. At the end when they play snippets from the next show, Ray is at GoflTec pounding balls hooked up to a vest!

I love golf. Everything about it. I watched the GC all the time. I can't be nice anymore. This last episode of HH/RR was truly pathetic from a teaching standpoint.

Why is RR hitting tee'd up balls with irons?
He is hitting is terribly.

I just keep thinking 'any manzella instructor would have him hitting it better by now'

I will not watch another episode.

To my eye, Romano's swing has gotten worse. I wouldn't even call it a swing anymore. He looks like he's wrestling an out of control fire hose. I'll say right now that he's not breaking 80 under Haney's tutelage. They should get Brad Garret in there for a couple lessons. I don't think he'd be as courteous with Hank as Ray has been.

I understand from time to time there will be students that have to make some changes in their swing and at first it looks unnatural because it's a big change. But it seems like this is the thing with all of Haney's students, sans O'Meara (who was a great putter in his prime).

I see a lot of Haney telling RR what to do, but not really explaining why (and better yet, breaking it down into working on one thing for now, then move onto the next later on, etc). This has only confused RR even more.

To me, Haney comes across like a teacher that is not only a method teacher, but a teacher who cannot explain *why* his method works.

And I think that is important.

There are plenty of method teachers who can explain in detail why their method works. Their explanation may be a bit faulty and overlook some things, but at least they can give an explanation.

I don't think Haney can even do that.

3JACK

It seems difficult for him(HH) to explain the simplest of concepts. It is very disheartening to see him not try and explain the pivot to Romano. They are how many weeks into the show and Romano can't even pass for a golfer, sad. GPM1985 said.." He looks like he's wrestling an out of control fire hose"..really funny, I'm still chuckling.

I am not defending the show. I stopped watching after two episodes. However, it is, has to be, very heavily edited to only occupy say 5-8 minutes of the show. We, as viewers or reviewers, don't know what was edited out. To me this makes more sense than to conclude that he didn't explain the details of the golf swing to Romano.

The results is another thing. No results, then all the explaining we didn't see apparently didn't work out too well.

I see your point.......but

I am not defending the show. I stopped watching after two episodes. However, it is, has to be, very heavily edited to only occupy say 5-8 minutes of the show. We, as viewers or reviewers, don't know what was edited out. To me this makes more sense than to conclude that he didn't explain the details of the golf swing to Romano.

The results is another thing. No results, then all the explaining we didn't see apparently didn't work out too well.

I would have to believe that the audience they are targeting wants more instruction and not just the entertainment. I think people want to see 'the world's greatest coach' perform a miracle in hopes that they could pick up some helpful nuggets.

Maybe that is just my naive view of the world.

I would have to believe that the audience they are targeting wants more instruction and not just the entertainment. I think people want to see 'the world's greatest coach' perform a miracle in hopes that they could pick up some helpful nuggets.

Maybe that is just my naive view of the world.

100% correct. I know it's all about ratings in the tv biz. but The Golf Channel has really let me down on this one. I watch to see HH do his magic. Show me why he's on that top 5 list. I have seen NO magic in two series and you could not have less instruction.

I think you are over estimating the average golf channel viewers enthusiasm for in depth instruction. In my opinion, it should be obvious that in 30 minutes or even an hour you really can't go in depth into any topic. Particularly the golf swing. Just think of the use a word that you have to define because of audience ignorance. Then think of the what happens when it's ten words to be defined. Hopeless.

Maybe a way to think about it would be to picture an episode with a Manzella video cutup into little pieces in between commercials. Now add in the celebrity non-sense. Getting tight on time. Now do some focus groups. You know they have done them. Result. They settled for what they think the average Joe Golf Channel viewer will watch.

Just my 2 cents.

footwedge

It's about viewership/ratings they just want lots of viewers, golfers or non golfers doesn't matter. Non golfers want to see Romano and have a laugh, hard core golfers want to see some golf tips/instruction that might help them.

It's a fine line you don't want to put to sleep the non golfer/recreational golfer with a bunch of instruction and you need to try and keep the avid golfer interested. So they compromise and you end up with what their showing, part show biz, part golf biz, like it or not.

Last edited:
Outside of EPGA on the weekend mornings and PGA coveraged (DVR only) I don't have a lot of time for TGC anymore. I long for Peter K. and GC academy. *sigh*
And don't even get me started on Charlie Reimer. Terrible. Mini rant over.

Status
Not open for further replies.